I Went To The Markets Today

Lollipup

So we went to the markets today for a look. Everyone parks their car at the entrance way which is a big long drive way. When we walk down this entrance way, each side is lined with people selling puppies from their car boots or utes. :(

We kept going and looked around the markets a bit then when it was time to leave we were walking back out and there were three border collie pups for sale. Border Collies are my favourite breed so this is extra hard to walk by. We notice a man there and realise its an aquaintance of ours. He says hi and tells us he has just picked out a puppy. He's so happy he's found this dog because he's a sad and lonely older guy.

Now I hate BYBs, puppy farms, anywhere that pups can be bought on impulse and everything that goes with it. All the people who sell puppies at this market just look so dodgy. But I have to admit that it was only a couple of years ago that I also didn't know any better and our first dog was from a produce store selling for a BYB. I've learnt so much since but so many people just don't know, there isn't enough education out there. I only learnt from sitting down and doing my own research.

Later on we were driving up the road from our place and see the guy we know who bought the pup. He was walking his friend's dog while the pup was at home. We pulled up to say hi and ask how the puppy is going. He said a few things that suggest that he needs some advice. I offered to do some training with the puppy as I'm studying to become a dog trainer and want as much experience as possible. He didn't seem that interested in anything I had to say.

So my question is should I bother? I feel as though I want to tell people things I have learnt but I also don't want to sound like a know-it-all or sound nasty. Especially since I used to be just as ignorant. He said that the "breeder" of his puppy said to contact her when the puppy gets older if he isn't desexed so that she can use him to breed from. I felt like screaming NOOO! but at the same time felt it wasn't really my place. There are just SO MANY people around that don't know about these problems and all the issues that go with it. What do you say to people? Every time I do offer someone advice they shrug it off anyway so why do I waste my breath!!?

Another example: while at my local pet supply store some bogans came in and asked if they sell puppies. They said no so the people asked where sells puppies? They said try the markets or the pet shop up the road. To which they asked "Do you know if they have rottweilers in stock?" :) IN stock? I really had to turn the other way. The shop attentant gave me a look when they walked out which indicated she felt the same way.

It gets so frustrating and I'm noticing it more and more lately. But then again I've made my own mistakes so can I really be one to talk?

I feel the same way bout giving 'advice' to these people. I feel like most of them wouldn't be interested anyway, I mean no one wants to feel like they've done something stupid and so most of them make excuses and then promptly forget about anything you've said. Especially when the 'breeder' is probably reassuring him that the pup is really good quality and worth breeding from. :)

Better to have learned from your mistakes and moved on, than to never learn because you choose to be ignorant...

You can only try - but don't push too hard if they aren't interested, OK?

T.

Yeah, its just not worth it sometimes. I'm always conscious not to sound pushy which is probably why I do get so frustrated. I'm always too worried I'll sound rude or offend someone.

Edited by Tenille W

Well I did open my mouth the other day....I asked a lady the breeding of her BC bitch which she happily told me and then said she was going to let her have a litter even though she had signed a non breeders agreement, but that didn't matter because she didn't intend to show :):( :( I couldn't help myself and told her as tactfully as I could, that there could be a very good reason for that agreement and did she know about CL and DNA tests etc??? I think (hope) I got through to her as she said "oh well maybe I won't then...just thought it would be nice for her to have a litter!!!! Makes you wonder doesn't it!

Went to the markets on Saturday and there in the 'pet shop' was a litter of Akita x Border Collie pups :p cute but so not the mix for the average Joe Public.

Better to have learned from your mistakes and moved on, than to never learn because you choose to be ignorant...

You can only try - but don't push too hard if they aren't interested, OK?

T.

Yeah, its just not worth it sometimes. I'm always conscious not to sound pushy which is probably why I do get so frustrated. I'm always too worries I'll sound rude or offend someone.