What Breed Of Small Dog?

julzjc

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have missed this, but how old are your kids? This may be a factor that pap breeders consider.

When my family got our first pap, us kids (3 girls) were 8, 6 and 4.

We visited the breeder's place twice before we picked Pierre up to take him home. If a breeder will let you visit with your kids and observe their behaviour around their dogs, this can help you and the breeder to decide whether a pap is right for your family.

(On a side note, we were sitting on the floor nice and quietly, then the breeder 'released the hounds' and we were ambushed by a tidal wave of paps, jumping on us and licking!)

Hi there, A few people have mentioned a Papillon (as an owner and devotee of the breed) I have to disagree. Pap's are extremely small boned, most breeders will not sell a pup into a home with children under the age of 10 years. Although they don't have to be an only dog any other dog in the Pap's presence supervised or not must be around the same size. Pap's initially attach themselves to one family member, the choice is the dog's choice and the Pap could pic you, if the Pap does this then it will be in danger of your other two dogs, Pap's are a little possesive of their chosen person but eventually (12 months or so) extend themselves to the rest of the family.

The Papillon is the 8th smartest dog in the world and the only Toy breed to make the top 10, they are excellent for training and agility. An adult Pap weights 3-5kg. With a weight of that any rough play with the Sibe or Staff could easily result in major injury, or worse. As somone mentioned, not all dogs will adjust their play to suit their playmates and play can easily get out of hand. Imagine what a Pap looks like from behind in a full sprint run - run rabbit run

If you end up setting your heart on a Pap you might be up for a long wait, till the children and the other two dogs are older, Pap's live to 15 or more.

There are long waiting lists for Pap's with breeders. Any cross breed's sold will not fit the predictability of a pure Pap no matter even if they say "it's 80% Pap", it's like putting your hand in a lucky dip and expecting a diamond ring. While looking for my Pap a few years ago I discovered that a lot of BYB's were onto the popularity of Pap's and was offered many cross breeds, some very wierd cross breeds too, some claimed pure, with one seller I was even asked if I'd consider one of the other 10 litters that were in their barn, if only I knew then what I know now I could have actually done something about that breeder.

Price - Around $1300

Application to a pup in your home - up to around 12 months

Application Process - anything from a lengthy questionairre to a residential inspection by the breeder

Adoption Agreement - You'll be expected to advise the breeder, during the life of the dog, if you are considering an ownership change of the dog you may have to give the breeder the option of taking the dog back with no purchase cost to the breeder, therefore ensuring that none of their pups end up in unknown homes or in danger.

Other - Agreement on the desexxing age of the pup or consultation with breeder prior to attempting to breed.

Anyway, that is my expectation of a reputable breeder.

Appologies if anyone disagree's with my comments. To me they are a pretty special little dog and all dogs deserve the best, especially when considering if they will fit into your current lifestyle and future lifestyle.

I think Corgi's are a great choice. I grew up with them and now have a beautiful young dog with my 2 little children.

They have the working dog temperament so are very sensible and trainable and also active and playful. They will play as long or as short as you want and are very tolerant. My 4yr old can walk her easily on lead and is a good size to handle.

They do shed alot though but that can be kept under control.

ETA a few more answers to your questions.

I think they are a very strong nerved dog so can cope with lots of noise/activity. I have always had Corgi's and Rottweilers and the Corgi's are always the boss. They have solid little bodies so are ok with bigger dogs.

I have never had a barking problem. They are good guard dogs but not excessive.

Edited by jesomil

Both types of corgi are very easy to train, they just love to please. Although my female pembroke will push the boundaries in regards to rules we have like all the dogs know they aren't allowed out the front door unless they have their leads on. If the door is open she will go and sit juuuuust outside the door. Little bitch she is :o So you have to be firm with training just so you don't end up with a dog that rules the roost.

Swedish vallhunds can be easy to train depending on whether you have a stubborn dog or not :D My girl was stubborn as hell but if you found something she considered worthy (sausage as a training treat for instance) then she'd do anything you wanted (well almost anything).

Both types of corgi are very easy to train, they just love to please. Although my female pembroke will push the boundaries in regards to rules... Little bitch she is :o So you have to be firm with training just so you don't end up with a dog that rules the roost.

A pembroke corgi girl, named Victoria, growled bossily at my tibbie girl, Angel, when Angel went to drink out of a water bowl....at a Blessings of the Pets event. Angel, who looked like an angel, did fat Victoria over. The man who owned Victoria told her it was her own fault for trying to boss a feisty foreigner. :D

We had a cardigan corgi when we were kids, named Bridget (Biddy). and she was the most fantastic all-round compact-sized, sensible, safe & loving family dog. She was just as happy being a lap dog as going out on Moreton Bay on my father's launch on fishing trips with a bunch of men.

Biddy was so well known that the passing charter boat skippers would yell out across the water...'Gidday, Biddy!'

The cavalier king charles. It is laid back and easy-going with a disposition that is truly lovable. Not aggressive and perfect with kids. Can handle a walk but is not demanding of large amounts of exercise as it can self exercise. It does shed no-end but if there are no allergies that should not be a problem, a slicker brush and a bath every week will speed up the shedding process.

American cocker spaniels are also great dogs for a family, a little more active than a cavalier but just as lovable.

I would also suggest a Tenterfield Terrier.

We looked after one not long ago and wow, what an amazing small dog. She was extremely affectionate, would cuddle with anyone who would have her. And was definitely able to cope with the large dog play style, she gave as good as she got and absolutely loved the rough and tumble of an Amstaff. Very low maintenance, and extremely easily walked. highly confident breed so very rarely startled.

My experience with this breed really changed my opinion of small dogs. I wish you luck in your search, it is good to red such a thread. Also otherwise a French Bulldog? Have heard they are a fairly robust breed.