Cocker Spaniel Puppy

sharee123

Hi everyone

I have a cocker spaniel puppy who hates to get bathed! I have tried using treats and she still goes crazy and tries to break out! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also her third eye lid is dislodged and when I got her I took her to the vet for a check up and the vet said that it should just go back into the correct position as she grows or in it's own time. I have had her for a few months should I be calling the vet again and or the breeder as it hasn't gone back into place. She doesn't care about it but I know it can't be great for her.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !!!

Hi

You don't say how old your puppy is, but from experience, Cockers can be wild children and you just need to continue persevering. Bathing is such an important part of a Cocker Spaniel's life so the more it is done, the easier it will be and the nicer it will be for all concerned down the track. Don't treat indiscriminately though. Only treat when she behaves herself so that she is clear on the fact that it is a REWARD for good behaviour and not a BRIBE for good behaviour, if you get what I mean.

Now, when you say third eyelid, I take it you mean that she has cherry eye? This isn't actually the third eyelid, it is a small gland in the corner of the eye that pops out and is bright red, hence the name.

I would suggest you consult a veterinary opthalmologist for this. If it hasn't receded now, it possibly won't and may require more "aggressive" treatment such as tacking back in place surgically or even removing if it is severe enough. Be aware though that removing the gland completely could lead to what is referred to as "dry eye" and can be a very painful and debilitation condition.

Oh and lastly....photos are essential here! :laugh:

Thanks heaps ellz

She is almost 17 weeks and loves water just not the clean stuff :laugh: I know what you mean about the treats, ill be sure not to give them to her unless she is being a good girl.. Persistence must be the key...

I will call my vet and see if they can refer me to a opthalmologist or they might have someone there who can have a look..

I hope i have attached a picture or two :laugh:

post-35895-1289212946_thumb.jpg

post-35895-1289213014_thumb.jpg

Hi ,welcome to the wonderfull world of cocker spaniels ..

Do u imerse yr pup in water when bathing ???

I have found it less of a threat to a pup,to stand in empty vessel & use hand held shower attatment or jugs of warm water, to soak the coat befor attempting to add shampoo,then rinse well ,talking to yr pup,calming it as u bath ,then dry well ,special attention must be paid to ears ,& playcing yr finger or thumb in ear as u are washing ears,also do not put water over dogshead ,but wipe face clean with a cloth .

Cant asdvise aboutthe eye ,but seek vets advise .Photos wouldhelp ,if it is cherry eye it need fixing ,sooner rather than later .

Most dogs find having even their feet placed in water threatening. Having a breed with white feet also means that if we put water in a bath all it does is let the dirt from the coat, soak into the feet. Definitely not a good idea. Always stand them in an empty bath, with a non-slip mat as suggested and use a hand shower. Then just be firm and don't take any nonsense. Always praise when they are being good.

You can buy a short lead and sucker cup attachement to stick to the wall behind the bath, then you dog is held in place giving you more freedom to keep her calm and get on with the task at hand without worrying about sudden break outs from the bath.

Also when you are done, lift the dog from the bath - allowing them to jump out of a bath or from a grooming table sends then mixed messages about what theya re and aren't allowed to do.

I meant to add too...and forgot.

Sometimes a dog is frightened of water because we give it the signals that it should be. I've found over the years that my dogs will happily play in a puddle, but show them a bath that is my idea and you're talking a completely different language.

So, rightly or wrongly, but it HAS worked for me with my American Cockers and a couple of other longcoated breeds.....I let them go for swims and let them play and have fun with the water. They soon learn it isn't something to be fearful of and bathtime becomes a little easier after that.

Cockers and American Cockers ARE after all.....GUNDOGS!!!!!!

Oh and something else to watch is water temperature. It might feel pleasant to us, but it could be too hot or too cold for your puppy. That too will make it anxious at bathtime.

My cocker spaniel puppy is 17 weeks.. I've bathed her about 5 times since 8 weeks old.

The first couple of times she didn't like it a lot but the last couple of times she's been fine.

I just fill the bath with quite warm water (if it's not that warm i.e. luke warm she gets cold) about 5-7 cm deep - I use that water to wash her. I don't put anything at the bottom of it though to help her stand. I fill up the basin next to the bath with warm water about the same temperature for rinsing her.

Edited by moofius

Nice puppy!

Looks like Barkly!

I wouldn't be surpsied if they're related.

Who would know Luke ????

She is looking lovely , best to perserve with her bathing, naughty girl !!!!!!

In regards to the eye, it is just a unpigmented haw, not sure where they came from but Daisy & Manny have one also,

Glad to see she has settled well, they sure can test us sometimes.

Daisy is such a naughty girl, wouldn't even play with the commoners at puppy school, yet Manny is such a sweetheart, think I kept the wrong one :)

Hi Judith!!!

Yeah Willow is pretty cute, I'm sure Luke would like to think they are related :o We graduated from puppy pre-school last week. So we will be hopefully starting with the big puppies in nexts years in takes!

How did Daisy go the other weekend?

Talk soon ! :eek:

Ellz, Becks and dancinbcs I didnt see your posts (I'm always on my phone and I never seem to see everything)

Thanks for the tips they sound like they should work! I'll be giving her a bath in the morning so I'll see what I can do with all the advice (I haven't got the attachment for the bath but I LOVE the idea). I'll get one when I get my babies some good tomorrow. Do you think they would have them at the pet shops?

Nice puppy!

Looks like Barkly!

I wouldn't be surpsied if they're related.

Who would know Luke ????

She is looking lovely , best to perserve with her bathing, naughty girl !!!!!!

In regards to the eye, it is just a unpigmented haw, not sure where they came from but Daisy & Manny have one also,

Glad to see she has settled well, they sure can test us sometimes.

Daisy is such a naughty girl, wouldn't even play with the commoners at puppy school, yet Manny is such a sweetheart, think I kept the wrong one :eek:

She's very pretty - I think all blue roan cockers are related to Barkly :o All the nice ones anyway!