Books Or Dvds On Agility

Ons

If you want to do the Susan Garrett stuff, you must start with Crate games or none of the rest of it will make sense, and you need to do the body awareness stuff (walking over ladder, and backing up and doggy body awareness tricks and wobble cushions etc) before you start on jumps and poles.

SG recommends - apart from her stuff, the Susan Salo foundation jumping set - eg how to teach your dog to jump, and the Greg Derrett foundation skills and handling stuff (Great dog shame about the handler). With SG's most recent dog, she didn't go near agility equiment with it until it was about 14 months old. Before that she was teaching it stuff like recall, a really good start line (no moving), crate games, ie how to drive fast from A to B, recall, and tug and nose targetting, and relationship building, and proofing all of that in as many different environments as possible.

The Derrett stuff teaches how to build relationship and teach the dog tug, and good start line wait and recall and then the handling - ie how you move in a consistent way to show the dog where you want it to go next, and then how to teach that to a dog. Cos that was me looking at all the SG stuff and wondering how the dog knows where she wants it to go. It's not quite as straight forward as pointing at a jump and saying "over" - and what if you want the dog to jump the jump towards you instead of away from you - how do you point that? GD has the answers and explains them.

Be patient and have fun.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually from memory she said she didn't teach contact equipment or weaves until 14 months :( she did do some jumping and tunnels, wobble board etc earlier. She also said she was competing with that dog by 18 months.

Even if you don't opt to follow the Susan Garrett program, the One Jump DVD is fabulous for teaching obstacle focus and understanding of handling signals. And you can do the 2 x 2 weaves without having done her foundation work, your dog just needs an understanding of shaping.

I really tried to watch the Susan Salo jumping DVD but it is rather slow paced and I haven't managed to get through it. I haven't done any jump grids with Kaos at all.

Oh damn you all for helping me put together a list of DVDs I want. I think I'm going to get poor very quickly. Lucky it's Christmas time.

And here's me thinking i'd be richer after putting my competition horses out to pasture. Me thinks not lol.

Out of interest, are there any places or stores that will 'borrow out' training DVDs??

Sheena : I was looking at getting that DVD set too. I've not purchased from them before. Do we Aussie folk just pay the price listed? Do we need to convert payment amts re exchange rate?? I couldn't find anywhere that did that on the site *shrugs*

It's just converted when your credit card is charged. My credit union visa does not make any extra charges etc & at the moment it is almost $ for $. I have been buying from Clean Run for a long time now & am more than happy with them & if you have any questions then email them & they will get back in touch. I also get their Clean Run Magazine subscription, but I get it digitally & it works out at hardly anything at all. :( You can also rent a lot of their DVD's too at a fraction of the price. You access them via the internet & if you decide you want to buy the hard copy, then they take some off the price.

Oh damn you all for helping me put together a list of DVDs I want. I think I'm going to get poor very quickly. Lucky it's Christmas time.

And here's me thinking i'd be richer after putting my competition horses out to pasture. Me thinks not lol.

Out of interest, are there any places or stores that will 'borrow out' training DVDs??

Rileys Mum...see my reply above re. Clean Run digital rentals. :(

Rileys mum the other option is not sure which club you train at but a number of people around the place have bought the various DVDs and might be happy to loan them to you. I know my collection often gets loaned out to people on the condition that if they get damaged they are to replace them. Have had no issues with any of them yet and have had none go missing or be damaged.

The few I haven't purchased I have been able to borrow from friends because they have borrowed mine so been able to put the money towards purchasing other dvds. Most of mine I have watched a few times and then just sit on the shelf collecting dust until somebody wishes to borrow them.

Edited by ness

Rileys mum the other option is not sure which club you train at but a number of people around the place have bought the various DVDs and might be happy to loan them to you. I know my collection often gets loaned out to people on the condition that if they get damaged they are to replace them. Have had no issues with any of them yet and have had none go missing or be damaged.

The few I haven't purchased I have been able to borrow from friends because they have borrowed mine so been able to put the money towards purchasing other dvds. Most of mine I have watched a few times and then just sit on the shelf collecting dust until somebody wishes to borrow them.

Mine sit on the shelf too...going to need a bigger shelf, though, soon. I lend them out to friends & other club members, but wouldn't part with any, because I like to watch them occassionally & always something new each time I do.

I've just started at para districts :laugh: so excited to start the new year with my guy.

I hadn't thought that people may borrow out their personal copies. Once I've been there a bit and got to know a few people I might see if I can lend a few :D cheers guys :rofl:

:laugh: I train at SAODC and ADCSA (well when I am motivated enough to get there - not very often lately :D ).

Your welcome to borrow my copies of anything if your happy to organize getting them and returning them and abide by the replace if damaged policy :rofl:.

Edited by ness

Ah ok. Awesome. I always watch the trialers train n think 'one day riley' lol.

No I don't do agility there. My guy is grade 4 obedience at the moment and 10 months old. I work shiftwork so go to sadoc because they have day and evening classes which is awesome for us :laugh: never have to miss a class ( in theory lol. Depends if my lazy arse makes it out of bed )

I'm sure you've probably seen Riley. Just listen out for the GSP winger having a tanty cos I won't let him play with the other dogs lol. Ahhhh he's a classic. Too social for his own good lol. He keeps me on my toes but I love it :D he loves having a job to do so I'm hoping he's going to take to agility well :rofl:

I think I've definitely met Riley. I've got a soft spot for GSP, and Frosty has greeted the ones I see at club. Do you remember an extremely grovelly Blue Heeler X with a black patch on her bum and over her right eye?

I usually go Tuesday Mornings and Wednesday nights. And Ness, remember I want to borrow GD #3... but probably won't get to it till December. Life is frantic right now. And look I'm posting on the net... I should be doing other things.

Kavik is probably right about what SG said. We went to the same seminar last week... I don't think the jumps were full height though. I've watched the first Susan Salo - it's about setting up a bounce (trotting pole) on the lead into a low height jump and then varying it to teach a dog where to take off and be confident about it. Like equestrian training. My dog is so strong she will take flying leaps from far away or do standing jump from close up and still clear her height, but what she really needs is "focus forward", ie don't look at me, look at where you're going... which is like the opposite of obedience training. Crate games is good for that. So is the 2x2 weaver training.

onsntillnflash, I don't have much to add except I can't wait to see that pup. I had a good chat with Ruth when you put me onto her when I was looking for a dog, I'd still like a Koolie one day and I'll probably get into contact with her again when I do. Will you pass on my congrats for the litter, they look adorable.

Mrs rusty bucket: Ive only been to a few Tuesday morning classes ( see what I mean about getting my lazy arse out of bed. FAIL lol) I'll be there tomorrow morning so I'll keep an eye out :laugh:

feel free to come say hi if you spot me around guys :D Love meeting new people :rofl:

Remember to check the weather forecast... if the 9am forecast is 32'C or higher they cancel the morning session, and if it's 35'C or over at 5pm they cancel the evening session.

And the current forecast is 35'C so that would be a cancel unless they change it tomorrow morning...

http://www.bom.gov.au/sa/forecasts/adelaide.shtml

and

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDS60901/IDS60901.94675.shtml

PS I think we'll go to the beach tomorrow morning at sparrow fart.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

everyone has given you some great suggestions...

definitely recommend Susan Garretts Crate Games as one of the first.. it is also a great way to toilet train your pup when you get her home...

Then i would work through the Moe Strenfel Foundation DVD(great way to kick off your handling system), the puppy Jumping by Susan Salo, Success With One Jump by Susan Garrett... then start watching Greg Derretts Great Dog Shame about the handler, when pup is old enough 2x2 weave training by Susan Garrett...

and for a good read definitely get Susan Garretts Shaping Success...

I have just purchased the new 6 dvd set from clean run on Foundations... i have read quite a few of the articles posted in the clean run mag by Mary Ellen Barry so think that it would be a good investment as well, for the dog training side of things

As for which puppy to pick, the one that tugs the heart strings is usually a good indicator :) but i look for a more confident outgoing puppy... one that loves to tug at 5 weeks...

good luck with your new addition, and yes we definitely need some pics...