Toilet Training Frustration

New puppy

I know toilet training threads have been done but I think my pup has a real issue. He's a 6 month old Spaniel X and getting desexed in 2 weeks. The problem is that when my dog is outside, he pees on his blankets or the outside couch or in his kennel - then he doesn't mind sitting on it???

I can control his toilet habits when I'm home but when I'm out during the day I don't know what to do. When I am home and take him outside to toilet, I take him to the designated area and he tends to be pretty good with that. I also bought "attractant" drops which is meant to make the designated area more appealing. Is there anything I can use to stop him peeing where he shouldn't?

I didn't think that dogs liked to toilet where they eat/sleep/play? I am worried that he hasn't quite grasped the concept so any thoughts/advice would be most welcome.

Hi!

Where did you get this pup from?

Most dogs don't like sitting, sleeping or eating near where they've done their no 1 and no 2s. Especially if they are outside and have lots of other places to go.

All I can suggest is back to basics with toilet training with him again. Even though it's outside.

Are you crate training him?

My pup has an interesting story - he's from a regular farm and was an accident with the next door neighbour's dog jumping the fence! Hence why I also don't know his true breed. A friend of a friend put me in touch. When I got him he was already 18 weeks old and with no training (toilet or otherwise) so I knew I'd be facing an uphill battle with him.

In saying that though, it's really only this outside toileting issue that I'm really concerned with. He's quite a good puppy and so cute too!

He is not crate trained but is doing really well with his inside toilet training and I manage his movement in the house with closed doors, he sleeps on his bed in my bedroom with no issues.

I have bio-zetted everything a few times to get rid of the smell but unfortunately for me he seems to have a very good nose. I guess I am just wondering how I can put his slow start behind us and get him to toilet in the right place, even though I cannot watch him all day. Any ideas are appreciated otherwise, yes, I think back to basics is the key :rofl:

I know how you feel. It is frustrating to have a dog/puppy who can't seem to grasp where to correctly potty. But don't worry, with the right knowledge and patience, you and your puppy will work things out.

Here are some links you may want to check out:

http://www.perfectpaws.com/htra.html

http://www.5min.com/Video/Toilet-Training-your-Dog-5769

Hi everyone i know the basic's of toliet training but cant seem to get my lab to not wee or poo inside! I understand she cant go throught the night without an accident but for example today she done a wee inside my hubby took her out after some time we brought her inside and she done another wee. Im guessing she is associating for the toliet to be inside but dont understand as if i ever catch her in the act say NO and put her outside.. I tried going out with her and when she wee's give her heaps of praise but its getting to the point where i hate having her inside just incase she wee's.. what age would you say that a dog could last the whole night?

Ella is 14 weeks

thanx

Edited by chellz

Hi everyone i know the basic's of toliet training but cant seem to get my lab to not wee or poo inside! I understand she cant go throught the night without an accident but for example today she done a wee inside my hubby took her out after some time we brought her inside and she done another wee. Im guessing she is associating for the toliet to be inside but dont understand as if i ever catch her in the act say NO and put her outside.. I tried going out with her and when she wee's give her heaps of praise but its getting to the point where i hate having her inside just incase she wee's.. what age would you say that a dog could last the whole night?

Ella is 14 weeks

thanx

Do you keep her crated while inside :laugh: or does she have the run of the house??

Ella is 14 weeks

thanx

Do you keep her crated while inside :) or does she have the run of the house??

She has the loungeroom yes, the kitchen and bedrooms are blocked off, is that bad? should i be using a crate at night? is that ok?

Ella is 14 weeks

thanx

Do you keep her crated while inside :laugh: or does she have the run of the house??

She has the loungeroom yes, the kitchen and bedrooms are blocked off, is that bad? should i be using a crate at night? is that ok?

The best & quickest way to toilet train her is to put her in a crate when she can't be supervised, then taken out at regular intervals to toilet, otherwise she will connect the loungeroom with going to the toilet...she doesn't know any different.

Consider that he may have not been whelped and kept in a very clean area and was forced to toilet where he ate and slept like Petshop dogs - they are a continual struggle to toilet train.

Edited by sas