Vegetable Processing In Barf Diet

Guest Amelia

Hi

I am wondering what do you use to process vegetables in a barf diet?

I went to buy a food processor today but realised that I didnt know if i needed a processor, juicer or blender?

Does anyone have any recommendations for around $100 - $400?

Thanks in advance

Amelia

HI!

I have a mini food processor that cost about $20.00 from target or somewhere... it works a treat, but i do only have the one small dog and it is a wee bit time consuming as it is small.

But i have lately been using the blender, its a sunbeam (i think) and does the vege mix really and in less time.. cost about $100 - $160 from memory has an ice crushing function which is handy for the vege sometimes.

I use a juicer - Sunbeam or Breville... can't remember..

It cost about $190 and I use it once a fortnight for four big dogs. They had a bigger one for nearly $500 which I thought was going a bit over the top - the one I have does a great job.

I just add the juice and pulp back together for the dogs (after keeping a glass of two of fruit juice for us).

Hi Amelia,

i use our blender but having just finished the billinghurst book i know that he has stated in there that he prefers a juicer method and you then recombine the juice and vegies.

I'm not sure that i'm going to run out and get a juicer straight away though! But either would fall in the range of your budget I would think.

Hi Amelia,

I use a food processor - I just throw in english spinach, chines veggies, carrots, squash, brocolini, apples & cabbage - if it gets too dry then I had a bit of water. Then I pack i cup portions into freezer bags and use the veggies as I need them.

cheers

westielover

If you are going to buy a machine, I would recommend a juicer over a blender – I do use both but I think the juicer does a better job on the veggies.

Paula you have the Breville Juice Fountain I think – same as me. I think we extolled the virtues of our machine on a previous thread.

Pe Dubbya, I had to start with a whole lot of mince and a little bit of veggies.. after that got eaten, I slowly upped the quanity of veggies - now its 50/50 or there abouts.

So, maybe try less veggies before you lash out on a juicer? Oh, and try a garnish of grated parmesan cheese - my dogs love it. :thumbsup:

I don't know anything about BARF, why to the veges have to be pulped? Is there a special reason?

We feed a combo diet and include a pile of cooked veges, but in bite sized pieces.

I also give them whole raw carrots which they crunch up.

Labradors will eat anything.

I use a food processor. The only problem I have is that sometimes they don't all pulp as well as I would like (there are chunks), and it is time consuming. If we get a juicer I would give it a go! I have used a blender before but found that it didn't cope with the vegies as well as the food processor.

I am lucky that my dog will eat the vegies on their own :thumbsup: He is a strange one that way!

Thanks for all the replies, I think now that I will seriously consider a good juicer, seems as though it would benefit everyone in the family.

Ill be back into town tomorrow to make my purchase.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Personally, if it is a choice between one and the other, I would recommend the blender, as it is more versatile. You can put whole eggs (shell and all) through, as well as offal, garlic, and anything else that you might not be able to put through a juicer. Preferably both would be better, I have a blender, but a juicer is on my list of "to buys" (I just got my freezer! Next is the puppy, THEN I will get a juicer!)

The Breville Juice Fountain is a SERIOUS juicer. You don't spend nearly as much time chopping. I only have to cut big apples in half, but juice whole carrots, zucchini, sweet potato and multiple sticks of celery. The external pulp collector is a blessing too, no pulling the juicer apart periodically to get at the pulp.

I usually juice some apple, carrot and celery first up and drink that juice while I process the rest.

I use the blender at the same time, adding some juice and what every offal I'm adding to BARF mix to make 'liver smoothies' which go into the mix. Not nice :champagne:

Edited by poodlefan

Jeanne writes:

I read somewhere ages ago that many seeds have a natural form of arsenic in them, and I don't want my dogs eating that!

Must say that's the first I've heard about apple seeds. I've fed so many apple cores to horses and dogs over the years (even eaten some myself) and never had a problem.

Now apricot seeds - they are nasty. :champagne:

I've read that about apple seeds as well ( I use to think as a kid that you shouldnt eat them as you grow an apple tree in your stomach :champagne: )

I agree not to over do the vegies. I thought it was about 25% of the meal. I did have my dog on the diet to improve his allergies but it made no difference. I used a food processor. I dont think its the consistency the dogs balk at but the vegie taste. My dog wasnt fussed over greens....neither are my bloody boys lol!

Dont forget to chuck in an egg now and then, shell and all. Also some fish. I use to buy cheap canned tuna, salmon etc in brine and canned tomatoes. ( the tomatoes were to acidify my dogs urine) Some kelp goes down good and some omega fats.I was buying fresh vegies but then started f rozen ones as it was easier and more convenient. I would blend them frozen and then freeze them again.

Overall, natural diet is a lot of work but good if it is beneficial and you see results.