Vaccine For Periodontal Disease

sheena

I'm not aware that the vaccine is available in Australia, the information on the US Pfizer website suggests that it only has a conditional licence.

Most dogs I see have some degree of tartar build up and peridontal disease, which under ideal circumstances, would warrant dental treatment. I do see quite a few dogs with great teeth, not all of them eat bones and most of them are large dogs. I also frequently see bone eating dogs with fractured teeth, but then I see a lot of ball obsessed dogs with worn canines too.

Has any body's dog been given this vaccine...or do you think it is a real problem with dogs that get lots of meaty bones. If you read this it sounds like most dogs over the age of three have the disease :thumbsup:

Here's the link

http://www.ehow.com/about_6629578_vaccine-...io-disease.html

it was a real problem with my first greyhound and he had plenty of meaty bones, I tried everything over the years, he had mutliple dentals with teeth removal and what worked best was removing all the teeth he had left. Mouth cleaned up beautifully. Also had a cat that did wonderfully after having all his teeth removed after going under 3 times in 6 weeks. It was the success of the cat that prompted me to say enough is enough, take his teeth out, for poor old Sam

I don't have nearly the experience that Rappie does, but of the animals I've seen in practice, I would have to agree that most over the age of 3 would have had some degree of periodontal disease. There are some really foul mouths out there.

I know very little about the vaccine. Maybe it will turn out to be a good alternative for dogs with genetically really bad mouths, or if the owners can't or won't brush, or can't or won't feed bones.

But for my own animals I think I'd rather try brushing first, if RMB weren't doing the job for my dog (and they don't, for some dogs). Brushing is pretty quick and easy to do once the dog is used to it, & controls plaque really well if you do it regularly. You can even get chicken flavoured toothpaste. :rainbowbridge:

I have 3 dogs all about the same size and all fed the same, 2 of them including a 9 year old have really good teeth and the 3rd has a lot of tartar build up. I don't know that I would vaccinate against it but he will need a clean and scale soon. He doesn't have worse than usual dog breath.