When Can I Start Jogging My Pup

As the title says, I want to start increasing my pups fitness, so far I just walk her, and we have been doing very short jogs on grass (short being like 50 metres)

I dont want to do any damage to her joints, which is why Im asking on here, Ive never had a large breed pup before so I dont really know where to start as far as fitness training goes, she is very lean, I can feel her ribs easily so there is no excess weight, I just want to get more muscle on her and increase her fitness. I will be training her in agility when she is older (probably around 18 months or so, if I think she is ready)

GG85 - personally I wouldn't get too hung up on improving fitness per se. Off leash self exercise, lots of mental stimulation and training plus a walk or some swimming is probably sufficient. Muscle development will occur when she is physically ready - i wouldn't be in a hurry and patience will pay off in terms of soundness IMO. In terms of agility, fitness will develop as you train and by the time you want to trial she will be able to cope with jogging. To be honest there isn't much research into this and responses you get will be based on personal experience. I prefer to be on the conservative side. Remember that there is a genetic component to her muscle development that you can't control. My entire male Dally, at 4, is just starting to hit his straps and he comes from late maturing lines.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

You can, and should be, doing ground work for agility now. No jumping other than jump humps, but you can do low contacts, wobble board for balance, running large circles both right and left with you and teaching front and rear crosses on the ground. This means both of you are prepared for later when you can do the big stuff and it should come easy.

As the title says, I want to start increasing my pups fitness, so far I just walk her, and we have been doing very short jogs on grass (short being like 50 metres)

I dont want to do any damage to her joints, which is why Im asking on here, Ive never had a large breed pup before so I dont really know where to start as far as fitness training goes, she is very lean, I can feel her ribs easily so there is no excess weight, I just want to get more muscle on her and increase her fitness. I will be training her in agility when she is older (probably around 18 months or so, if I think she is ready)

I wouldn't be jogging with an 11 month old goldie.

They don't fully mature physically until at least 18 months old, sometimes longer. I would wait until 2 years old, but perhaps see what your breeder recommends?

You need to avoid heavy exercise (extended running off the lead) until the bones have reached some degree of maturity. To this end avoid unaccustomed running until about nine months of age. Regular lead exercise however is good for general fitness, happiness and socialization of your dog and should be encouraged (so long as she is fully vaccinated). Too much walking on hard surfaces may be detrimental to joint development and so try to have no more than half of the walk on hard surfaces. Allowing your dog to walk on grass is a good start. You may allow your puppy brief periods of freer exercise (five minutes or so, and this would form part of the training process) using a long lead initially to teach recall.

Hope this helps!!!