Ticks In Sydney

Paganman

I just read that other topic about ticks and Im going to Sydney to work in Feb for probably a couple of years so Im a bit worried coz we dont have them here.Can anyone tell me if theres ticks in Richmond/Grose Vale/Freeman Reach

Thanks

I just read that other topic about ticks and Im going to Sydney to work in Feb for probably a couple of years so Im a bit worried coz we dont have them here.Can anyone tell me if theres ticks in Richmond/Grose Vale/Freeman Reach

Thanks

Not really sure about that area and sometimes just a couple of kms can make a difference. The ticks are mostly closer to the coast but some of the northern suburbs have them as well and this year they are a lot more widespread than usual. The best bet would be to call North Richmond Vets and ask them. They see a lot of the breeders in Sydney and would know if there are ticks in their area.

They are in all areas of Syndey pretty much :o

There are increased numbers of ticks in the north shore (upper and lower), the northern beaches are particularly full of ticks.

Guide dogs has just sent us a letter saying they have had pups requiring treatment from ticks in ALL areas of sydney so i wouldn't say any one area is safe.

we had an 8 week old Malamute pup with a tickj recently. It had only been in its own yard for toileting (due to not being fully vaccinated). The tick was found on the tip of the tail. We've even had predominantly indoor cats with ticks, so they are everywhere!!!

Bush areas and areas they are wet and humid are where a lot of ticks are. They are actually carried by bandicoots.

I am quite paranoid though as i work in a vet hospital where animals regularly come in very ill from ticks and some do end up dying. My own dog nearly died from one when she was only a puppy as well.

I feel it is only a matter of time before my current dog gets one :cry: even though she is on frontline spray every 2 weeks. i am thinking of starting her on proban too, but she is only a pup and her coat is reasonably easy to check for ticks (though it takes me about 30 mins each day to do a thorough search)