Dog Behaviour Question

Max#1

So I had to google displacement behaviour and was initially worried as it seemed to be about anxiety!

If I understand correctly, when we return to the house, the dog wants to lick our mouths/jump up or sniff us in a way that would be inappropriate (ha!). As we've discouraged all these behaviours, he has to find something else to do as an outlet for his emotions. So its not a bad thing that they're doing it, and doesn't indicate anxiety, but rather happiness to see us.

The only other time he does it is at the park. He loves to be chased and will often grab something in his mouth (stick/leaf/etc), show another dog, then take off in the hope of being chased. Its pretty funny as well.

In the case of my dogs presenting me with toys, its been reinforced by the fact I throw them for them..

Charlie does this too :grimace:

He gives me the toy and then 2 seconds later, he wants it back and then invites me to chase him for the toy. I think it does calm him down when he is very excited about something, instead of jumping and carrying on, he grabs a toy to give to me.

Emmy doesn't do it... she does her happy dance.

Guest RANDCMOORE31

I have a poodle who always gets a toy as soon as we walk in the door - and then pretends he's ever so busy chewing it - and hasn't even in fact, noticed that we've come home. He's hyper alert to us, though and is just itching for us to come over and say hello. My cav. always has to take a toy outside with her - she dumps it anywhere once she's out there - but just has to take one!

Displacement behaviour is a bit confusing IMO because we're told that it's an indicator of anxiety, but I think it's more context-dependent than that. Sometimes it's an indicator of anxiety, but I think sometimes it's just a dog regulating their own arousal level, which is perfectly appropriate. I see my dogs do displacement behaviours all the time when they have been playing rough and one or both have decided it's all getting a bit too intense. One will shake and inevitably the other will do it within a few seconds. It's not unusual for them to do it together. My last dog used to sneeze when a wresting game was wrapping up. Erik is really heavy on the displacement behaviours. I used to worry about it, but eventually decided he was just trying to chill most of the time. It's not always easy for him to go from active to non-active in one big step. Lots of displacement behaviour while he's adjusting, but then it goes away.

Or, another possibility is that displacement behaviour is sometimes an indicator of a dog recovering or attempting to recover their equilibrium after a disturbance. Like if your dog was napping and then you come home and that excites them, perhaps displacement behaviours help them bring themselves back to a new equilibrium that includes you.

I dunno, but I think displacement behaviours are intensely interesting. I don't want to see them in my training sessions or when I'm playing with my dog or giving my dog a cue, though.

What breed of dog? This type of behaviour is often stronger in those breeds which are bred to retrieve (and carry things in their mouth).

I think I tend to agree with this well in my case any how, My youngest does this when we come home, he will go to the toy box and grab something or if there is a toy on the floor he will grab it. He also does it first thing in the morning, if tyhere is something in his path from the crate to the bed he brings it with him, he is very soft mouthed and really only holds the objexct lightly. He is Poodle X Cocker and there is not much poodle in this boy at all, he has so many Cocker traits and I feel this is one of them. I hope he never stops it's so cute, apart from if he grabs a sock and one of the other 3 decide it is tug of war time :laugh: holey socks for me!!

One of my poodles and my Whippet both do this. Both retrieve also.

tlc you know that poodles ARE originally a retrieving breed don't you.. ??

Yep for sure, I guess I just liken Bronsons traits to a be so cocker like as we had a PB cocker for 13 years and he is her to a T.

My poodley girl Lacy is broken for sure she will not retrieve to save her life, just not interested! But Tully got a good dose of both as she is a born retriever, soft mouthed, brings back, places the article in your hand.

I understood displacement to be more of a thing the dog does as an alternative.

So from a human perspective - if I wave to you, and you don't wave back or frown at me cause you don't know me, I might pretend I'm scratching my head. The head scratching is the displacement.

From a dog perspective - the mouth licking greetings is refused, so they have a drink/pick something up etc instead.

How would it be an indicator of anxiety? And what would you be looking for as signs of displacement when training? And why would that be happening?

Too many questions!

Now that I think about it, Carl also does this. :laugh: He has zero retrieving in him, being staffy x terrier! When I get home, he knows he isn't allowed to jump all over me unless I crouch and invite him, but I don't until he is calm... So he grabs one of his fluffer toys and drags it all over the place. :laugh:

So from a human perspective - if I wave to you, and you don't wave back or frown at me cause you don't know me, I might pretend I'm scratching my head. The head scratching is the displacement.

Yeah, I think that's pretty much it.

From a dog perspective - the mouth licking greetings is refused, so they have a drink/pick something up etc instead.

Possibly, or it could be a more general thing. Like the dog wants to leap all over you but knows he only gets greeted if he sits. Or it could be he's so excited he has to find something to do and is trying to pick something appropriate, like when I'm so excited I want to jump and squeal, but I'm with complete strangers who might find that a bit disturbing and so I find something more appropriate because I just can't hold it in completely. I'm just throwing ideas out there. I think it's calming for my boy just going on the fact that he behaves more calmly during greetings when he has something in his mouth than when he doesn't. But why it's calming is anyone's guess. Maybe it's because he felt conflicted and engaging in a displacement behaviour makes him feel less conflicted which in turn makes him feel calmer. It's hard to unravel behaviour! It's why I love it so much. :laugh:

How would it be an indicator of anxiety?

If the dog is not sure how to behave they may start doing displacement behaviours. Not knowing what to do can be anxiety-inducing. Or perhaps they are feeling intimidated but don't want to engage, so they'll sniff the ground or something, kind of like averting the gaze or perhaps communication to tell the other dog/person that they are not paying attention to them and therefore are no threat. My dogs have clearer ways of saying that they are no threat, but I sometimes see dogs that aren't entirely comfortable with other dogs tongue flick or sniff the ground. To me, it's like a combined message. "Let's everyone relax" and "I don't know what to do; this is uncomfortable for me". Here's one of Erik that's a bit like that:

4917318137_9d53393432.jpg

I'm not sure what his deal was, but he was giving very exaggerated "I'm no threat" signals for this wee puppy that included some tongue flicks. I think that he was a bit taken aback because he was with a lot of doggy friends and it was the first time he'd met this squirt. He was tearing around like a loon with his mates one moment and the next he was like "Argh, I don't know her. Who's she?? She's small and smells funny!" I think the tongue flicking in this context means he's not sure how to behave and I do think it's an indicator of anxiety, although it was over very quickly once Erik realised it was just another dog. Normally he is way more confident in greeting a strange dog.

And what would you be looking for as signs of displacement when training?

I'd be looking for sniffing the ground or tongue flicks, primarily. Also, looking away from me or seeming distracted, or circling with head down as if the dog was following a smell in a circle. If I got a yawn or a sneeze in training I'd be more inclined to think it was a self-calming thing, but that's just from my experiences. For Erik, I look for nose-poking. He is a serial poker. Often he does it if he's trying to get a click, but sometimes it takes on a compulsive flavour and he'll just lean over and touch something next to him with his nose in between other behaviours. If I see a nose poke in that context I assume he's a bit stressed for whatever reason. It might be because what I'm asking is too hard for him, or he's not sure what to do, or he's feeling frustrated or maybe he's not focussed for some other reason. Generally going back to easier things and/or increasing the reward rate makes the nose poking stop.

And why would that be happening?

For things like circling, sniffing, and tongue flicks, it might be happening because the dog is feeling too much pressure from the trainer. They might be anxious about doing the wrong thing or may actually not be enjoying the training. Could also be that they don't know what to do and are finding it frustrating, like Erik.

Most of this is just guesses on my part, but I think if you look at the accompanying body behaviour it becomes a pretty educated guess.

Sorry, long post! Hope that wasn't boring and off topic. :laugh:

Just a general question about dog behaviour. Not sure if there's an answer, but anyway!

My 7 month old pup has a funny habit. When I, or my OH, get home he always has to go and get something in his mouth before greeting us. Its usually what he's just been chewing on. He'll then hold it in his mouth and come up to say hello all wiggle-bum and rolling over. It is quite cute.

Any suggestions on why he might do this (the getting something in his mouth bit that is)? For example, is he offering it to us as a gift? Is he a little mental? He won't want to keep chewing it after that, and I have no problems taking it from his mouth....

(I'm fascinated by dog behaviour - and particularly curious about pack-hierarchy theories between humans and dogs in the average suburban home.... )

This brought to mind a lovely piece I read years and years ago and which I still keep - because it reminded me of my dogs.....and now yours! It's a bit long......

The Welcome

Author unknown

Read it fast to yourself, and picture the scene…

I hear it! I hear the car! HER car! And she’s coming this way! Oh, oh, I must run in and grab a gift! I must greet her with a gift! Oh, ‘BONK’ missed the step. No matter, I must hurry. Move over, doggy door! She’s coming, she’s coming! Gift, gift, where, what, oh, oh, oh, ah! A plastic bottle she drinks from, right here on top of the container they call trash! Oh, perfect. She’s coming, she’s coming! Oh, oh, oh…the door! I hear the door sound that sounds right before she comes in! Oh, it’s OPENING! SHE’S HOME! Oh, oh, ‘wiggle, wiggle, wiggle’ I cannot be still! You’re home! And look, look, I have this nice bottle! Oh, oh, you’re home, YOU’RE HOME! I have missed you so much, you’ve been gone hours, weeks, days, years! And so much has happened! A dog ran by and I chewed a tree and Pluto slept under the house and it rained a little! Oh, oh, oh! You’re home, you’re home! And you’re touching me! I can’t stand it, it’s so marvellous! Oh, and you’re speaking! “Murble, murble, good boy, murble, murble.” YES! Your happy voice. Oh, I’m about to burst! I’m so happy, happy, happy! Yes! I want to jump! I’m not supposed to jump, but oh, oh, just a little jump! “Off.” Darn. Oh, I cannot be still. I’ll roll over and wiggle on my back! Oh, yes! She’s rubbing me – my tummy, my head, my sides! Oh, oh, oh! Now what? Now where’s she going? Oh, oh, yes! Back to the room where we sleep at night! Great! It has the big pad we sleep on and ‘L-E-A-P’ I can get up here close to her. And here she comes! Oh, oh, oh! I can stand on my legs and put my paws around her neck and – uh oh! Can’t lick with this bottle in my mouth. But it’s my present to her! Oh, oh, what to do? And she’s rubbing me! But I want to lick her, oh, oh, I think I’m about to burst! “Off.” Oh, darn. Drop the bottle. Oh, YES! She’s coming back! She took off the pieces she puts on her eyes and I can stand and ‘lick, lick’ I love you, I love you, I love you, I love ‘lick, lick, lick’ you taste so good, sweet, I love that stuff you smear on your face every day. I love to lick it off, oh, oh, and you’re rubbing me again! My back, my head, my ears, oh, oh ‘lick, lick, lick’. “Murble, murble, good boy, murble, murble.” “Off.” Darn. I will lay here and watch her. Watch her peel her fur – it’s not very warm fur, I don’t think. How does she do that? And I will get that look on my face that always makes her come and rub me. The look where I roll my eyes up, and keep my head flat here and she will come…and she’s putting on her play skin! YES! We will play – sometime. I cannot be still. I am SO happy, happy, happy. Now she’s going in the room with the wonderful water bowl! I LOVE that water bowl – always cool, clean water! She’ll be out in just a minute, just a minute, just a…..yes, she’s coming! She’s here again. Oh, oh, oh…..now back to the room with the box that has pictures and sounds. Ah, I know what happens now. Yep, she’s laying down on the big pad there. Now she’ll sleep. But that’s okay. She’s HOME! SHE’S home. She’s home. And she smells tired. So I will lay beside her here and guard her and wait while she sleeps. And when she wakes up she won’t smell so tired. And we’ll play and play. S-i-g-h. I’ll just rest with her now, and smell her while she sleeps. And wasit again. For, the next thing that happens, and then, oh, oh, zzzzzzzzz…..

:) :D :D :laugh:

Yeah, I think that's pretty much it.

Possibly, or it could be a more general thing. Like the dog wants to leap all over you but knows he only gets greeted if he sits. Or it could be he's so excited he has to find something to do and is trying to pick something appropriate, like when I'm so excited I want to jump and squeal, but I'm with complete strangers who might find that a bit disturbing and so I find something more appropriate because I just can't hold it in completely. I'm just throwing ideas out there. I think it's calming for my boy just going on the fact that he behaves more calmly during greetings when he has something in his mouth than when he doesn't. But why it's calming is anyone's guess. Maybe it's because he felt conflicted and engaging in a displacement behaviour makes him feel less conflicted which in turn makes him feel calmer. It's hard to unravel behaviour! It's why I love it so much. :laugh:

How would it be an indicator of anxiety?

If the dog is not sure how to behave they may start doing displacement behaviours. Not knowing what to do can be anxiety-inducing. Or perhaps they are feeling intimidated but don't want to engage, so they'll sniff the ground or something, kind of like averting the gaze or perhaps communication to tell the other dog/person that they are not paying attention to them and therefore are no threat. My dogs have clearer ways of saying that they are no threat, but I sometimes see dogs that aren't entirely comfortable with other dogs tongue flick or sniff the ground. To me, it's like a combined message. "Let's everyone relax" and "I don't know what to do; this is uncomfortable for me". Here's one of Erik that's a bit like that:

4917318137_9d53393432.jpg

I'm not sure what his deal was, but he was giving very exaggerated "I'm no threat" signals for this wee puppy that included some tongue flicks. I think that he was a bit taken aback because he was with a lot of doggy friends and it was the first time he'd met this squirt. He was tearing around like a loon with his mates one moment and the next he was like "Argh, I don't know her. Who's she?? She's small and smells funny!" I think the tongue flicking in this context means he's not sure how to behave and I do think it's an indicator of anxiety, although it was over very quickly once Erik realised it was just another dog. Normally he is way more confident in greeting a strange dog.

And what would you be looking for as signs of displacement when training?

I'd be looking for sniffing the ground or tongue flicks, primarily. Also, looking away from me or seeming distracted, or circling with head down as if the dog was following a smell in a circle. If I got a yawn or a sneeze in training I'd be more inclined to think it was a self-calming thing, but that's just from my experiences. For Erik, I look for nose-poking. He is a serial poker. Often he does it if he's trying to get a click, but sometimes it takes on a compulsive flavour and he'll just lean over and touch something next to him with his nose in between other behaviours. If I see a nose poke in that context I assume he's a bit stressed for whatever reason. It might be because what I'm asking is too hard for him, or he's not sure what to do, or he's feeling frustrated or maybe he's not focussed for some other reason. Generally going back to easier things and/or increasing the reward rate makes the nose poking stop.

And why would that be happening?

For things like circling, sniffing, and tongue flicks, it might be happening because the dog is feeling too much pressure from the trainer. They might be anxious about doing the wrong thing or may actually not be enjoying the training. Could also be that they don't know what to do and are finding it frustrating, like Erik.

Most of this is just guesses on my part, but I think if you look at the accompanying body behaviour it becomes a pretty educated guess.

Sorry, long post! Hope that wasn't boring and off topic. :crossfingers:

I found this very interesting indeedy! :rofl:

I've found it very interesting too! And have since been on the look-out for tongue flicks!

And Toshman - that story is so sweet. However I don't get to have a 'sit-down' when I get home! Its walkies walkies walkies!

Our 10 yr old stafford has had the odd habit off licking the air and jumping and snapping at things only she can see since she was about 5. You can actually see her eyes following something before she jumps and snaps the air! Mainly sits there flicking her tongue though. We've always had a feeling it may have something to do with anxiety, though she is very calm while she does it. I think this thread helps explain her behaviour!

It always weirds out new visitors to our house and they always try and come up with theories as to why she does it. I've always been the one to say I think we'll never know but I think displacement behaviour seems to fit!

Last night she started doing it when she was sitting in her chair with my OH. She had just given him lots of kisses and when he said enough she sat next to him and started licking away at the air. Eventually she lay down and went to sleep, supporting the calming behaviour theory!

Very interesting thread! :laugh:

Edited by Sezz

Our dog does this too when we release her from the playpen everyday. But now we try to distract her from this.

I too agree with Jigsaw on why they do this. And I did notice that our dog tends to try to grab anything she can with her mouth when shes anxious, she'd just wave her mouth around and see wat she can get, sometimes her tail, sometimes clothes on the chair, sometimes just air. she wouldnt chew or bite them, just mouth them.