What's The Answer Number 4

Steve

Steve - I wonder if one of the Banks would sponsor MDBA for a "Responsible Dog Owner Day". ??? Far fetched?

All things are possible Erny

But what synergy is there between a bank and dogs or the MDBA? In my experience, banks usually seek links with financial literacy.

All things are possible Anne :laugh::eek:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I originated from the Melbourne suburbs and realise there's a lot of problems there now - wouldn't go back there for a million dollars while I owned dogs. There's problems here in the country as well but they require totally different handling than metro ones and I've got one now which I'm stumped on how to handle so not much use me trying to help solve anyone elses :laugh:

I rarely have problems with irresponsible owners around my area. Is anyone in the same boat? What are the common factors about areas that have a lot of issues and areas that don't? We are in the outer suburbs, a mixture of classes (mainly low to medium). Lots of walking paths and a few off leash areas. Lots of dogs around. Not sure if anything stands out or if it's just luck.

I'm the same - I'm pretty lucky. I've run into one clueless small white fluffy owner that didn't get that their dog couldn't just roam the pavement, and there are a few clueless owners of various types of dog at my local dog/bike trail that let their dog run up and jump on mine when she's clearly being trained or walking at heel. But most people round here are pretty good.

Rather than getting lower council fees for "good" owners, I've always really wished that there was an advanced certificate you could sit with your dog that would give you additional privileges for that dog - perhaps you'd get a card to carry or a button to put on your dog's collar to identify it, and then be allowed to take your dog on the bus (muzzled), or have your dog allowed off leash in more areas, or have your dog allowed to go places regular dogs aren't (like the city centre), etc. I'd want them to make it very hard to pass, requiring a very, very good level of offleash obedience under major distractions. I guess that's a little OT from the thread, but I'm just sick of responsible owners & well trained dogs being barred from areas & places due to the majority of dogs being untrained and ill behaved. If an owner is willing to put the work in to make their dog a very well behaved & very obedient citizen, they should be recognised for that. But I guess there is little chance of that when they can't even police the current laws. :laugh:

Just going on our area here.

We are meant to microchip, many don't. Fines etc. seem to be irrelevent, most just 'dont care'...

we have no dog parks at all, and I would not use one if we did.

There are only a couple of dog beaches available at certain times. If they were available more often many more people would use them and they would not be crowded during available times which leads to problems..

People who are more likely to not care are more motivated by what's in it for them. some sort of reward system is a better way to go than fines which are very difficult to address and if the person does not care, they just dont pay, the dog pays :(

I agree with BINS :laugh: , like the sticker ideas too and several other things.

stickers (inc bumper stickers re desexing, toileting, barking etc., ranger ph numbers.. no one here knows HOW to even get tthe rangers...)

heavy media assistance in local and free papers, maybe a weekly story written by a vet, trainer, club, breeder etc with clear and simple information re animal care. the paper might be glad of a 'filler'.

I also feel that education for those involved with dogs be better, re breeds etc.

Its not hard to ID breeds these days with so much info internet, ex books around yet here at least, rangers have not got a clue. this then impacts on what the 'public' perceive through the media and what the council records as dangerous or menacing breeds...

Edited by Monah