Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Original Ultra What To Think?

BMAK

i just bought nearly 15 kgs worth of this premium kibble dick van patten's natural balance original ultra (which is suitable for pups and adults as i have 2 of each atm) the ingredients don't look nasty.

I was previously using (for the adults only) pro plan sensitive skin and stomach around $133 a bag eeek! then changed to nutro Chicken Meal, Rice & Oatmeal Formula for Adult Dogs it was a lot cheaper than the pro plan S.S.stomach but the dogs weren't fussed on it.

So, today i had to get some more dry food and knew that they didn't really like the nutro so again went to go back to the expensive stuff but they had none and the other pro plans have corn and wheat etc so i didn't want that.

Instead i decided to buy natural balance kibble.. i gave a few bits to the pups they loved it then again they would eat anything gave a few to each adult nothing didnt want it ?? why, change of diet? not hungry? didn't like it? any suggestions

on this brand?

Princess Mini is on Natural Balance. Previously, she was on ProPlan but wouldn't have a bar of it. Natural Balance is my compromise since her favourite Eagle Pack is so hard to come by. I don't think she's overly fussed by the Natural Balance but at least she doesn't turn her dainty little black nose up at it.

i just bought nearly 15 kgs worth of this premium kibble dick van patten's natural balance original ultra (which is suitable for pups and adults as i have 2 of each atm) the ingredients don't look nasty.

I was previously using (for the adults only) pro plan sensitive skin and stomach around $133 a bag eeek! then changed to nutro Chicken Meal, Rice & Oatmeal Formula for Adult Dogs it was a lot cheaper than the pro plan S.S.stomach but the dogs weren't fussed on it.

So, today i had to get some more dry food and knew that they didn't really like the nutro so again went to go back to the expensive stuff but they had none and the other pro plans have corn and wheat etc so i didn't want that.

Instead i decided to buy natural balance kibble.. i gave a few bits to the pups they loved it then again they would eat anything gave a few to each adult nothing didnt want it ?? why, change of diet? not hungry? didn't like it? any suggestions

on this brand?

Just as a matter of interest, is there a sticker on the bag that says this food is not suitable for cats? Did you buy it at a Pet Barn Store?

I have recently started giving it to my dogs as we can't get the food they were eating anymore. I mostly feed raw but give the DVP Ultra once or twice a week and so far so good.

I'm pretty happy with it and will continue to get it. Dogs are all healthy and shining and all 5 of them love it.

on this brand?

Just as a matter of interest, is there a sticker on the bag that says this food is not suitable for cats? Did you buy it at a Pet Barn Store?

Yes from pet barn, they only sell the one type from natural balance kibble range.

there is "nothing" on the dog bag that says that it is only for dogs, you can feed it to puppies so it can't be bad ? but there is a rrange made for cats, but i have no clue if pet barn sell it.

thanks guys looks like a good responce, it says to feed between 3-4 cup for the weight range of my adult dogs, looks to be wayyy too much, is it ?? so i decided two cups dailys for each dog here + bones and veggies when ever

I think what k9katz is asking is whether a label has been added to the bag that says something along the lines of "not to be fed to cats" or "not suitable for cats" - rather than being part of the actual nutrition panel on the packaging.

I'd be interested to know as well.

Sags

on this brand?

Yes from pet barn, they only sell the one type from natural balance kibble range.

there is "nothing" on the dog bag that says that it is only for dogs, you can feed it to puppies so it can't be bad ? but there is a rrange made for cats, but i have no clue if pet barn sell it.

thanks guys looks like a good responce, it says to feed between 3-4 cup for the weight range of my adult dogs, looks to be wayyy too much, is it ?? so i decided two cups dailys for each dog here + bones and veggies when ever

I never follow the feeding guide on the bags, if I did my dogs would be so fat! My AMSTAFF X gets 1.5 cups (she is 9 yrs old and not as active anymore) and she maintains her weight (30kgs) on that. My Dobe pup (now 9 months old) gets 2.5 - 3 cups (cause he is still growing, will cut it back to 2 cups when he is finished) and is lean, but well muscled and healthy. Not sure how much he weighs atm but he is definately over 30kgs. Little dogs get 3/4 of a cup each. They are small but burn alot more energy than the others!

I think what k9katz is asking is whether a label has been added to the bag that says something along the lines of "not to be fed to cats" or "not suitable for cats" - rather than being part of the actual nutrition panel on the packaging.

Sags

I didn't see anything like that on the bag, but will add the my cats really like it! They have their own food but if they find a stray bit of dog kibble on the ground they snap it up real quick. Must be yummy.

Sags

I didn't see anything like that on the bag, but will add the my cats really like it! They have their own food but if they find a stray bit of dog kibble on the ground they snap it up real quick. Must be yummy.

They are asking because if the food has been irradiated then it is supposed to have that label on it. If it has been irradiated then it is dangerous for kitties.

I assume they have a reason for asking??

Sags

They are asking because if the food has been irradiated then it is supposed to have that label on it. If it has been irradiated then it is dangerous for kitties.

I assume they have a reason for asking??

I was in a Pet Barn Store about 2 months ago and saw the DVP range on the shelves with stickers on it saying it should not be fed to cats and yes that did start alarm bells ringing for me for the reasons that Jules states. The girl at Pet Barn told me that they ( Pet Barn) were now the exclusive reseller of this food. If you are feeding this to your dog and you also have a cat that can have access to the food then to be safe I would be asking the question.

• 1 month later...

update my dogs won't even eat the kibble :S one dog isn't fussy one bit and even he won't touch it..to me that says something???must be something bad in it or taste like poo to them?? I now have to mix in fish or raw meat for them to even touch the stuff won't be buying it again a big waste of money :p

should have stuck to the stuff i know..