My Sbt Baby

Ruger- If you are asking becuase she is a show prospect, you need to understand that a lot can happen between now and when your girl has matured. So comments now may or may not have any future bearing. Secondly, and this is most important, is that the breed standard is very much open to interpretation. In short - beauty - and correctness - are in the eye of the beholder. Unless its a screaming fault, you are likely to have a variation of opinions as to what is right and wrong. Remember, the perfect dog has NEVER been bred, and all dogs - even international champions - will have some minor faults. They are judged on how severe these faults are, and its all about one person - the judge - having an opinion on which dog is the best one - on the day.

My advice would be to a) study your standard and learn what it means b) go to dog shows and see what is awarded, by who, and find out why c) talk to other breeders and showies, but bear in mind there is always dog politics! d) talk to your breeder - if you have bought a show dog they should support you as you learn all about showing.

And good luck! She's a lovely baby! :crossfingers:

Oh no, what's wrong with her feet??

I was just told they appear weak, splayed, flat and left one rolling and turning in.

And btw, that wasn't me who said that.

I have a real phobia about feet, having had bad feet in an imported dog. They haunted me and I vowed I would never keep another dog with bad feet EVER!

I have a real phobia about feet, having had bad feet in an imported dog. They haunted me and I vowed I would never keep another dog with bad feet EVER!

My first bitch had splayed feet, her daughters were a bit better and her daughters better again, but I still have those feet pop up from time to time (but to lesser degree) via that bitch line.

Edited by Aziah

Oh no, what's wrong with her feet??

I was just told they appear weak, splayed, flat and left one rolling and turning in.

No dog is perfect, go out and have fun adn enjoy her...feet can improve, tighten etc with time etc.

Edited by Aziah

No dog is perfect, go out and have fun adn enjoy her...feet can improve, tighten etc with time etc.

True, but sadly, not always the case in Staffords, Aziah. And being a fighting dog, feet are important. Many breeders discard a puppy at 8 weeks if the feet are looking dodgy.

And for Ruger, get those toenails shorter, WAAAAY back as far as you can. The shorter the nails, the less the toes will splay with contact of the nails with the ground and this will help slightly as she gets older.

True, but sadly, not always the case in Staffords, Aziah. And being a fighting dog, feet are important. Many breeders discard a puppy at 8 weeks if the feet are looking dodgy.

And for Ruger, get those toenails shorter, WAAAAY back as far as you can. The shorter the nails, the less the toes will splay with contact of the nails with the ground and this will help slightly as she gets older.

I was just commenting in general ellz, it's all about improving...

I'd rather improve on feet than on poor shoulder placement or a poor rear for example (but I guess I'm looking at it from a breeders perspective rather than an exhibitors).

:laugh:

What are you feeding Ruger? What was the breeder feeding? Sometimes diet can help feet, as can walking on rough surfaces like pebbled yards and the like. This can help encourage the puppy to flex its feet, thereby increasing the muscling in the foot.

I was just commenting in general ellz, it's all about improving...

I'd rather improve on feet than on poor shoulder placement or a poor rear for example (but I guess I'm looking at it from a breeders perspective rather than an exhibitors).

:rofl:

Yeah, I know. But sadly bad feet are in many Stafford lines and the more they are bred on with, the harder it will be to get away from them.

I tried the "improving" bit with the import when he arrived but sadly, it didn't have much success. I wouldn't have bred on with him but I figured, like you, that it was worth a try especially as it had cost so much in time, money and angst to get him here.

There was no improvement at all in the first generation, and in fact the long, weakened foot proved to be a handicap with two of his daughters breaking toes during normal activity. The second generation were no better either. He was never bred from again and from what I've seen of his daughters who have reproduced, feet aren't actually amongst the virtues of their progeny and grand-progeny either. :eek:

Experiment FAIL!! :laugh:

To me she's heavy, throatie and overall lacks any real class or style, but I guess it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, as long as you and your breeder are happy with her. What is one persons cup of tea, won't always be the nexts.

You could do worse.

FWIW Warley, I do agree with you. But as Aziah has pointed out, some things can be bred out and she could be a very honest type of brood bitch (depending upon her pedigree and what she's bred to of course), but those feet would be a non-starter for me from the get-go.

And I repeat, it wasn't ME who gave the itemised critique to Ruger about the pup's feet.

Ruger, don't take any of this to heart. Everybody starts somewhere and as long as you are learning and looking to improve, then you can't go wrong.

And showing doesn't HAVE to be bitchy...like any sporting activity, you just need to choose your companions carefully and don't take everything you see or hear as gospel.