The Toys Our Dogs Ignore

Brennan's Mum

Just curious to hear what toys people have bought their dogs only for the toy to be ignored most times.

For Brennan's first Christmas I bought her a small oval shaped ball on a string which you throw to them. She has hardly shown any interest in it.

A friend in the US sent her a Tug-A-Jug and initially she had fun dragging it around the house, she has lost interest in the treats stashed inside. Although she did manage to untwist the 'tug' bit which is now an awful mess :crossfingers:

My pup shows little to no interest in his Kong! And the more expensive the toy is, it seems, the less interested he is. :crossfingers: Empty plastic water bottles filled with kibble, and toilet rolls? Worth their weight in gold around here.

Same! Tahli doesn't bother with the kong ever it's the only thing. Even when there is treats in it! And yes, she has more fun with the cheap stuff and the plastic bottles are a winner ha ha.

She mostly loves anything that squeaks.

Same! Tahli doesn't bother with the kong ever it's the only thing. Even when there is treats in it! And yes, she has more fun with the cheap stuff and the plastic bottles are a winner ha ha.

She mostly loves anything that squeaks.

My dog is exactly the same. He's completely disinterested with his Kong, yet he LOVES squeaky toys. His favourite one is a pig, and it's the cheapest I have brought for him so far.

Mine were never interested in the kong or any other type of treat ball I got for them :laugh:

Banjo loves squeaky toys and especially his pink wubber- its by far his best toy ever.

Luda isn't really interested in any toys and is not interested in fetch or anything like that lol. She does love my knickers, toilet rolls (preferably with paper still attached) and books though.

I'd read on DOL that the Aussie Dog Home Alone Hanging Ball was an excellent way to keep a doggy entertained. Alas, it was the worst $90 that we ever spent because Elbie had zero interest in it. We tried putting peanut butter on the tug bit and he licked at it but ignored it. He has very little interest in jumping up and grabbing things unless we are the ones dangling it. I suppose I'm glad that we didn't spend $117 on it because we were able to get it from vetpet direct or somewhere like that that was selling it for far cheaper than the Aussie Dog website.

Elbie also has zero interest in a little green rubber dental bone that we bought for him that was supposed to be good for his teeth. Funnily enough, Hoover likes it so it's not wasted. They also go through funny phases. For a while, Elbie had no interest in his Squeaky Steak. Suddenly, out of the blue - he loved his Squeaky Steak! We have been lucky because they pretty much love all of their other toys. We took away kongs after reading the horror stories on DOL but to be honest, Elbie never loved his kong anyway. The tucker ball and wobbler were far more popular.

koalathebear - you should get a Turbo Chook from Home Alone - I bought one when I bought the hanging ball as well, and the hanging ball has been ignored :o while I have had three dogs at different times go nuts with this Turbo Chook! :laugh:

To those with dogs who are disinterested in their Kongs, do you put food in it? I only ever use Kongs for dispensing food (usually smear peanut butter or cream cheese inside and it take an hour for a greedy dog to get it all cleaned :o) but they aren't a toy otherwise.

I left the puppy this morning with a cardboard toilet roll and a pigs ear along with all his toys, squeaky and otherwise. Went inside to get ready for work and peeked outside .... he went straight for the cardboard toilet roll and was busy chewing that when I left :rofl: go figure :eek:

Ditto the Cuz's - completely disinterested.

Same with my dogs, they don't care for Cuz's at all. I think they're too hard to squeak (good soft mouthed gundogs :laugh:).

The toys we play retrieve with often hold very little value at other times, inlcuding the kong on a rope and aussie dog toy. For play time by themselves or with each other my dogs definitely prefer soft fluffy toys over anything rubber or plastic.

Edited by FHRP

To those with dogs who are disinterested in their Kongs, do you put food in it? I only ever use Kongs for dispensing food (usually smear peanut butter or cream cheese inside and it take an hour for a greedy dog to get it all cleaned :laugh:) but they aren't a toy otherwise.

Yes, I have tried to put food in mine (delicious food too like PB, dog mince, treats, some kibble too as Stanley doesn't have it often) but he's just not interested. Which is weird because he's a food driven dog.

To those with dogs who are disinterested in their Kongs, do you put food in it? I only ever use Kongs for dispensing food (usually smear peanut butter or cream cheese inside and it take an hour for a greedy dog to get it all cleaned :rofl:) but they aren't a toy otherwise.

Yes, I have tried to put food in mine (delicious food too like PB, dog mince, treats, some kibble too as Stanley doesn't have it often) but he's just not interested. Which is weird because he's a food driven dog.

He sounds like a very lazy dog :laugh:

I only have to ask my older dog "where's your Kong?" and he goes nuts! :eek:

Ditto the Cuz's - completely disinterested.

Same with my dogs, they don't care for Cuz's at all. I think they're too hard to squeak (good soft mouthed gundogs :eek: ).

The toys we play retrieve with often hold very little value at other times, inlcuding the kong on a rope and aussie dog toy. For play time by themselves or with each other my dogs definitely prefer soft fluffy toys over anything rubber or plastic.

Funny you say that.. Bundy still won't pick up his Cuz. If I 'trick' him into it, he'll spit it out :laugh:

The Kong gets no attention here.. although the Kelpie has lost TWO of the xtreme ones and I don't know what he did with them!!

The D-man tug ball we had was mostly ignored for about 3 months when it first arrived... Then it was the most favourite toy until Bundy killed it. The second one was great for a few weeks, now they don't want to play with it anymore.

Any toy Blister is PERMITTED to have she ignores and Pumpit will play with anything that Blister has, as long as they can each have piece in their mouth

I would have to say the toy Blister loves the most is a full toilet roll.... We just renovated our bathroom and paid $60 for a new toilet roll holder and our toilet paper now sits on our window sill out of harms way...

The toy Blister loves is the 'hide-a-squirrel' (wagsalot from DOL) toy which she has played with to death and the squirrels have 'been to hospital' for stitches at least twice each.

Pumpit has never really been a 'toy' dog but does love tug of war.