"bulldog" Breeds

Miss BeRidgierent

Hey all im just wondering curious, is there a difference between the English Bulldog and British Bulldog? and why are there some dogs that are taller then some? some are built really short stocky and then some have longer legs? I am a little confused

My friend purchased an Australian Bulldog recently..... and have now realized they aren't a recognized breed why is this? Do they have breathing problems? Are they becoming a recognized breed? I searched some old thread and someone stated they have their own registry?

Also the American Bulldog? is this a recognized breed?

I have also found the "Olde English Bulldogge" does anyone know about this breed? I like the look of these guys :)

A "bulldog" is on my to own list on day how can you resist those faces :rofl:

English & British are exactly the same thing. Just people dont know the proper name for the breed.

Australian Bulldogs and American Bulldogs are two totally separate "breeds", and neither are recognised by the ANKC at this time.

They are not recognised because they are cross breeds. Designer breeds. Someone out there decided the British Bulldog needed changing, and rather than trying to do that within the breed, they went away from that.

Edited by Rysup

English & British are exactly the same thing. Just people dont know the proper name for the breed.

Australian Bulldogs and American Bulldogs are two totally separate "breeds", and neither are recognised by the ANKC at this time.

They are not recognised because they are cross breeds. Designer breeds. Someone out there decided the British Bulldog needed changing, and rather than trying to do that within the breed, they went away from that.

Ahh right thanks for clarifying. There are so many "types" out there it's a little hard to keep up :eek:

Te Australian Bulldog and the American Bulldog are different breeds, I don't think its definetly unethical breeding just because they arn't an ANKC/AKC/KC registered breed. Just because someone isn't breeding towards a show standard or trying to get a breed recognised by the Kennel Club doesn't automatically make them a bad breeder. There are other ways of proving a dog than in a show ring.

A lot of breeders are trying to breed back towards what the bulldogs of old looked like, I find the Olde English Bulldog a fascinating breed. I imagine they wlll become such a fad breed (if they havn't already) though and finding a good breeder is probably already difficult.

You also might want to look at the Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog, a breed recently developed in America. They are really interesting aswell.

Not always about breathing. I am friends with some BB breeders and their dogs are fit, healthy, they dont die when it gets over 25 degrees, and they have free whelpers.

Some of the BYB BBs you see have excessively undershot jaws, extremely narrow hips etc etc. You can get a top quality dog without compromising on health.

And I never said they were unethical (did I?). They started out as Designer Dogs being bred away from the BB standard. Clearly for a purpose of some sort. Not my call to say why, each to their own and all that jazz :eek:

You also might want to look at the Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog, a breed recently developed in America. They are really interesting aswell.

The photos of them always look different. It can get a little hard picking similarities between the dogs. Some have a broad head with short ears, some long. Some have a shorter muzzle some are much longer. Some have short legs, some are taller. :eek: But they're not my idea of a nice looking dog.

Not always about breathing. I am friends with some BB breeders and their dogs are fit, healthy, they dont die when it gets over 25 degrees, and they have free whelpers.

Some of the BYB BBs you see have excessively undershot jaws, extremely narrow hips etc etc. You can get a top quality dog without compromising on health.

And I never said they were unethical (did I?). They started out as Designer Dogs being bred away from the BB standard. Clearly for a purpose of some sort. Not my call to say why, each to their own and all that jazz :p

So very true. I hate seeing them panting and out of breath when they are just sitting there and they haven't done anything. :eek:

Some of the dogs have really bad pigment not sure if this is due to lazy breeding? or what.

Don't forget you've got a French Bulldog as well. Love these dogs!! :eek:

french_bulldog.jpg

French and British are the the only two ANKC recognised "bulldogs".

PF do you know what breeder that Frenchie is from? It's :p

No, sadly I just yanked if off the net. A good pied FB is a stunning dog though.

I probably used the wrong term, but really a hell of a lot of breeds started out as "designer dogs" somewhere along the line.

UKC recognises a LOT of breeds that may never get ANKC nor AKC approval. AKC recognition is the one that "counts" as far as showing is concerned.

I probably used the wrong term, but really a hell of a lot of breeds started out as "designer dogs" somewhere along the line.

If you mean that a hell of a lot of breeds started out as generation after generation F1 crosses designed to cash in all all the good qualities of their parent breeds and sold on those terms, then I'll beg to disagree.

I regard the argument that most breeds started as in that manner as a partially informed myth.

Many breeds started with a dog or dogs that displayed desireable characteristics, were bred to other dogs that displayed the same and type and line breeding were set pretty quickly. The closest you'll probably get to a two breed cross is the Pudelpointer and there's at least three breeds and fairly quick line breeding in that one.

Edited by poodlefan

The American Bulldog is certainly not a designer dog. They have been around for a long time, are registerable. They are much bigger than Bulldogs and Aussie Bulldogs. More agile and faster too. An all round dog, but a lot of dog. There are a couple of recognised "strains" in Aus but both are registerable in the Am Bulldog registry - and ACK or UKC, not sure which.

I wouldn't classify the Aussie Bulldog as a DD either. I think development of them began about 30 years ago. Now there are a lot of so called "breeders" breeding all sorts of things and calling them Aussie Bulldogs. For anyone who is interested in the breed, the original registry is the one you want, and a breeder who registers there. The real thing is a lot of generations away from x breds, and you can tell me all you like that an Aussie Bulldog is 2x Bulldog x something else, and hear me laugh. A true Aussie bulldog has a pedigree as long as your arm.

The "real" ones are nice little dogs, quite like Bulldogs, and were developed for the greater heat and this country, and for more mobility without losing the temperament.

Bulldogs are great dogs. Buy a bulldog from a GOOD breeder