C-sections And The Kennel Club

becks

Wouldn't make any difference to me either but since when is it O.K. to take decisions like this out of the hands of the breeder .?

Bloody hell in some breeds whether or not she needs a C section is the least of their worries .they cant just make these thing go across the

board and not give anyone room to move if they need to.

Now see if find that new proposal far more palatable then restricting the number of litters a bitch can whelp. My bitches free whelp and come from long lines of free whelpers.

Perhaps they should reduce it to one c-section and the bitch is out.

It wouldn't impact on me.

It can happen to ANYONE. I will not continue with a line with inertia, so none of my bitches needed caesarians for that. No one can guarantee that it wouldn't impact on them ..... unless they weren't breeding.

Now see if find that new proposal far more palatable then restricting the number of litters a bitch can whelp. My bitches free whelp and come from long lines of free whelpers.

Perhaps they should reduce it to one c-section and the bitch is out.

It wouldn't impact on me.

It can happen to ANYONE. I will not continue with a line with inertia, so none of my bitches needed caesarians for that. No one can guarantee that it wouldn't impact on them ..... unless they weren't breeding.

Ahhh Jed, the more and more I read on DOL about regulations, rules, more power & restrictions on breeders, etc, etc.........I believe that might be the "End Game"!

No Breeders = No Problems.... :(

Wouldn't make any difference to me either but since when is it O.K. to take decisions like this out of the hands of the breeder .?

Bloody hell in some breeds whether or not she needs a C section is the least of their worries .they cant just make these thing go across the

board and not give anyone room to move if they need to.

exactly, but it appears that many are happy to let anything go through, as it doesn't impact on them.

there will come a day when breeders will not be able to make any decisions, they will have no choices, as all of the options will have been taken away from them.

• 2 weeks later...

and so the truth comes out....

http://dogworld.co.uk/News/48-Vets

THE MAJOR veterinary groups say they are disappointed that the Kennel Club’s new policy change has not gone further.

Last week the KC announced that from 2012 it will no longer register puppies born by caesarean section from a bitch who has already had two such operations, and that it has asked vets to report any such procedure they carry out on KC-registered bitches.

The KC said it had had discussions with veterinary organisations about restrictions on the number of litters born by caesarean section which should be registered, and decided that the new restriction will be imposed unless there are ‘scientifically proven welfare reasons, and ‘normally provided that the application is made prior to mating’.

It was also announced that the KC will register no more than four litters from any one bitch. This is due to concerns that the current legal limit of six litters ‘can potentially be detrimental’ to a bitch’s welfare. However, the KC will grant permission for more than four if there is a ‘good and justifiable’ reason.

Both restrictions will come into force on January 1, 2012.

But the major veterinary groups are disappointed that the KC has not got tougher. The British Veterinary Association (BVA) and the British Small Animals Veterinary Association (BSAVA) said they had lobbied strongly for the KC to stop registering puppies from a bitch who had undergone one caesarean section ‘with no exceptions’. And they said they would continue to push for this.

They are concerned about what they call the ‘get-out clause’ in the KC rule which allows exceptions. They believe that ‘scientifically proven welfare reasons’ is an ill-defined term which could be ‘open to abuse and that there should be no exceptions’.

Naturally you'd find a new vet and not bother to tell them you are a registered breeder or simply lie about it on your application to register a litter.

ETA: It will do nothing to improve canine health and welfare. Every litter registered would be free whelped right ? what a joke

I wonder how much the vets will stand to make out of such a proposal ? Call my cynical but they'll still deliver pups via c-section. They stand to make a packet out of certifiying how every litter that is going to be KC registered was delivered.

Someone could do the maths , but I bet it adds up to a huge amount of additional revenue

Edited by ReadySetGo

Naturally you'd find a new vet and not bother to tell them you are a registered breeder or simply lie about it on your application to register a litter.

ETA: It will do nothing to improve canine health and welfare. Every litter registered would be free whelped right ? what a joke

I wonder how much the vets will stand to make out of such a proposal ? Call my cynical but they'll still deliver pups via c-section. They stand to make a packet out of certifiying how every litter that is going to be KC registered was delivered.

Someone could do the maths , but I bet it adds up to a huge amount of additional revenue

Right - why the hell dont they just stand their ground and tell them to piss off? By giving in a little it puts the focus on what is going on and for the KC to be asking for vets to be dobbing in their members is bloody outrageous !

- Why cant they get it? If they want to promote registered breeders as doing the right thing , loving dogs and doing whats best for the breed then why the hell do they need to bring in crap stuff like this? Why not say - dont be stupid our breeders rarely if ever do this and make em get what they want the hard way rather than just falling over everytime and quietly educating the breeders to be aware of it and why?

It just goes on and on - they put together their advisory boards and load it up with people who are against purebreds . They put one or max two people at the table who are pro purebred and call it an advisory board - its more like a bloody bully board - They may as well sit 2 sheep down with 10 wolves to vote on whats for dinner.

Australia is just following in like lot of limb wristed nuffies too. Its a disgrace!