Hard Mass In Pregnant Bitch

epi

hi all- i've booked an appointment with my vet tomorrow but i thought dol would have some ideas too. i have a pregnant bitch at home, she's about 4 1/2 weeks along and the last couple of days i've noticed she had a golf ball sized lump in the middle of her abodmen, right between 4 of her nipples. she's her normal self and perfectly healthy she's just developed a hard mass.

don't think it is a hernia, because when she's relaxed you can't really feel it. it's very soft and hard to find when she's just on her back relaxed. you can only feel it/notice it when she's tensed all the muscles in her stomach. the hernias i have experienced in the past have all been very firm lumps. thank you for your replies!

i googled pictures of an inguinal hernia and they all seem to be in the groin and they protrude from the dog. my bitch's "lump" or whatever it is is right in the center of her 4 lower nipples, and you can't see it you can have to feel around to be able to feel it. do you still think it could be an inguinal hernia? my vet suggested it may just be her carrying the embryos low in her horns??

are you sure she's in whelp ? and it's not a closed pyo

we haven't got a confirmed ultrasound but considering her temperament change/change in appetite/hair loss/nipple development we are fairly certain that she's pregnant. i considered pyo too but i don't think so

are you sure she's in whelp ? and it's not a closed pyo

ETA: some might think it's an over reaction but if I find anything that I don;t consider to be normal in a bitch, it's off to the vets that instant.

yes i definitely think i am probably over reacting, especially considering i just went to check her and i couldn't find a lump or any kind of mass. but this is my first litter and this bitch was my first show dog so anything that seems abnormal to me i'd rather be safe than sorry

inguinal hernias are in the groin.

umbilical hernias are in the middle of the belly- belly button place :)

from your description...especially as it slips in & out ,( the gap in the muscle wall allows abdominal fat/contents to slide in & out somewhat) it does sound like an umbilical hernia - and yes, it does need vet attention/advice.

from your description...especially as it slips in & out ,( the gap in the muscle wall allows abdominal fat/contents to slide in & out somewhat) it does sound like an umbilical hernia - and yes, it does need vet attention/advice.

the "mass" or whatever isn't at her belly button.. it's a little lower but not the groin area. does that make sense?

the "mass" or whatever isn't at her belly button.. it's a little lower but not the groin area. does that make sense?

yep

:rofl: I have an idea - let the Diva come live with me & I will send the No Tail one over in her place!! :rofl:

Hope all turns out ok chicky (as I am sure it will)!

Give her some cuddle time from me! :)

she'd be a lot less stressful than diva!!!

the vet told me i was over reacting all he could feel was a belly full of babies and intestines LOL thank you everyone for replying and helping me out even if the problem was in my head!!

:rofl: I have an idea - let the Diva come live with me & I will send the No Tail one over in her place!! :rofl:

Hope all turns out ok chicky (as I am sure it will)!

Give her some cuddle time from me! :)

she'd be a lot less stressful than diva!!!

the vet told me i was over reacting all he could feel was a belly full of babies and intestines LOL thank you everyone for replying and helping me out even if the problem was in my head!!

:rofl::( ;) :D I was going to say are sure you are not just feeling puppies. :D :D :( But you never know. Better to be save than sorry.