How Long Will A Prog Stay 'good'

*Lolapalooza*

Hey all you vet nurses, people in the know and vets out there, yesterday I had a prog done on one of my girls and after ringing around trying to find out what the result was cos they didnt call me back by closing time the vet admitted that they forgot to send the prog off with the courier. :thumbsup:

Now it was taken yesterday at 9.15 am and Im guessing they will try and send it today.....Im not happy for this as I dont believe it wouldve been spun down so Im not sure if the result will be trustworthy.

If it has been spun down is it still going to be an accurate result?

Is it unreasonable for me to get them to do a prog today at no charge and send both off?

This is the final straw in a long list of errors made by my vet....am officially new vet shopping.

This prog test is for date to mate ? depends on what day she is how critical having the results will be. As you can't guarantee how the bloods were stored yesterday, I'd be doing fresh collection today and ensuring it's sent off today.

fifi

:(:laugh: :laugh: :)

There is NO excuse for poor service. Find another vet even if you have travel further, especially if you have already had issues with them.

Yes I would have taken her back to have another sample done, (a) so that is fresh & (b) so that you have an up to date result.

With my vet I take the bitch and then I take the sample to the pick up point myself, just in case like you it gets forgotten. (which I don't think would happen). Also I always ring my vet before 6pm if they haven't rung me.

If your bitch has already been bred though, all you need to see is that her prog is still rising.

Good luck. Hope the puppy fairy visit your place.

There are some vets where it all done on the premises. Better option for future.

It is a good option if the machine is regularly calibrated to ensure accuracy and the staff handling the bllod sample know correct procedure. Not a good option if the above isn't done :D

I work in a Vet Clinic where we have inhouse facilities for running progesterone assays, and we choose to send to the lab due to more consistent results and the fact that the lab is required to regularly calibrate all their machinery. Inhouse machines can have huge variations in results simply due to the individual's technique with setting up the assay. Even though we are all taught the same technique there are minor variations between staff. This situation doesn't exist in a lab as all setting up is automated.

Lolapalooza - bet the puppy fairy is rubbing her wings together and planning a litter of 12 for you :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:

There are some vets where it all done on the premises. Better option for future.

It is a good option if the machine is regularly calibrated to ensure accuracy and the staff handling the bllod sample know correct procedure. Not a good option if the above isn't done :D

I work in a Vet Clinic where we have inhouse facilities for running progesterone assays, and we choose to send to the lab due to more consistent results and the fact that the lab is required to regularly calibrate all their machinery. Inhouse machines can have huge variations in results simply due to the individual's technique with setting up the assay. Even though we are all taught the same technique there are minor variations between staff. This situation doesn't exist in a lab as all setting up is automated.

Lolapalooza - bet the puppy fairy is rubbing her wings together and planning a litter of 12 for you :laugh: :laugh: :D

Hey Talisker.........HA HA! :rolleyes:

Thats the stuff my freaking nightmares are made of.