Dog Behaviourist?

Donegal

It's funny how the DOL opinion tendencies change. It isn't all that long ago that the argument was that it is not about accreditation, certificates and such like and that there were plenty of people with pure experience (and I agree with this) that would make them more invaluable and render them a better expert than someone fresh out of school with a certificate in their hand.

Edited by Erny

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL@Cosmolo, your mansion must be hiding in the same place rescuers keep all their huge profits. :laugh:

This is a really interesting question though.

I don't really understand the qualifications clearly. :o Is there some kind of governing board that 'qualifies' people (like registered breeders) or is it a matter of knowing what to ask?

I'm a big believer in word of mouth though. Call me silly but sometimes results have more credence than a snazzy website or lots of certificates.

I've heard they just throw the mumbo-jumbo in there to confuse the customers so they get poor results and have to keep coming back so that the behaviouralist can keep up the payments on their mansions and beach houses. It's genius really.

I thought that was the vets?!

As far as trainers go, I agree, there are lots of talented trainers that might be just as good a year into their career than they would ever be with or without accreditation. But I like the idea for behaviourists, and I know why I'd want it if I were a behaviourist.

must be hiding in the same place rescuers keep all their huge profits. :laugh:

In the back of the Lexus?

I don't really understand the qualifications clearly.

It's very simple, there aren't any in Australia.

You can obtain qualifications, but anyone can call themselves a behaviourist.

I've heard they just throw the mumbo-jumbo in there to confuse the customers so they get poor results and have to keep coming back so that the behaviouralist can keep up the payments on their mansions and beach houses. It's genius really.

I thought that was the vets?!

Same thing but with drugs and rubber gloves.

I understand why time would be an important consideration- just that i wouldn't like that to see that as the be all and end all because although someone has done something for a long time, they may not be as good as they need to be at it.

must be hiding in the same place rescuers keep all their huge profits. :)

In the back of the Lexus?

I don't really understand the qualifications clearly.

It's very simple, there aren't any in Australia.

You can obtain qualifications, but anyone can call themselves a behaviourist.

Lexus? :) = toyota, such status. But pls I give up: can't drive and know zero about cars.

Anyway; jokes aside..... qualifications: even for 'veterinary behaviourists' it's the same?? The ones who say they are more psychology based are working from the same basic training as others?

Sorry for all the questions but as I said it's very interesting (to me anyway).

Lexus? :) = toyota, such status. But pls I give up: can't drive and know zero about cars.

Haha, no that's a "Lexcen", Lexus are like the Japanese version of the Mercedes, very expensive and you really need a lot of mumbo-jumbo or rescue funds to own one.

qualifications: even for 'veterinary behaviourists' it's the same??

No, a Veterinary Behaviourist completes post-graduate qualifications after they have qualified as vets. They are the only ones allowed to use the term "veterinary behaviourist". A normal vet cannot use the term, neither could a psychologist with animal behaviour qualifications. Vets can prescribe the same medications used by veterinary behaviourists, though.

When I complete my degree (psychology), I will not be able to use a professional term related to dogs with any more authority than someone who has never trained or even owned a dog.

Haha, no that's a "Lexcen", Lexus are like the Japanese version of the Mercedes, very expensive and you really need a lot of mumbo-jumbo or rescue funds to own one.

:) Pretty sure Lexus are made by a division of Toyota.

Lexus is a subsidiary company of Toyota, but they are - in the scale of things - as good if not better then a Mercedes Benz. It's not a cheap car.

And Nekhbet can make this comparison because not only is she a behaviourist, she is a forensic biologist, so obviously she has one of each :)

(ETA: congratulations, btw, if these [forensics and criminology] are recent qualifications?)

Edited by Aidan2

Lexus is the upmarket arm of Toyota, but similarly priced to BMW, Mercs etc.

Acronym for

Let us

EXport to

US

There are not many Veterinary Behavourists around, but there are plenty of "behaviourists" - whether qualified or not.

Not everyone likes Caesar M, but he is what I would expect if I hired a behaviourist (and dog knows, I need one 23 hours a day!!).

If Nekhbet is a forensic biologist, and a behaviourist, she wouldn't waste her money on those rubbish cars you behaviourists and vets have, but has a Hummer. :)

Not everyone likes Caesar M, but he is what I would expect if I hired a behaviourist

That's very interesting because that's exactly what I would NOT be expecting. Not because I don't like him (although I don't), but because he is almost the antithesis of a behaviourist in that he does not follow behaviourist principles, which are deeply rooted in the scientific method and only deal with the observable (expressly putting aside things like submission, for e.g)

"Behaviourist" says to me that you are from the behaviourist school of thought, e.g Skinner, Pavlov, Watson, Rescorla. You certainly do get that from a veterinary behaviourist, along with the veterinary medical perspective.

I don't know where I would put CM, he is very slightly in the ethologist camp.

Not everyone likes Caesar M, but he is what I would expect if I hired a behaviourist

That's very interesting because that's exactly what I would NOT be expecting. Not because I don't like him (although I don't), but because he is almost the antithesis of a behaviourist in that he does not follow behaviourist principles, which are deeply rooted in the scientific method and only deal with the observable (expressly putting aside things like submission, for e.g)

"Behaviourist" says to me that you are from the behaviourist school of thought, e.g Skinner, Pavlov, Watson, Rescorla. You certainly do get that from a veterinary behaviourist, along with the veterinary medical perspective.

I don't know where I would put CM, he is very slightly in the ethologist camp.

..and where would you put Scott and Fuller?

I've seen a couple of people posing as behaviourists; a REAL veterinary behaviourist; and I have only seen CM twice on TV.

You are doing a psych course? And, that in addition to your experience, earlier studies, qualifies you as a behaviourist? I see you are a trainer already.

Will you do your honours year, or work with a psych (depending on your state) to gain a license to practice as a psych? Just interested. I know there are no routes to behaviourist, except vet. behaviourist.

Very interesting topic. Why is it then that nearly every person who posts on here with a "problem" is advised to seek the help of a behaviourist???????? A qualified trainer who is breed specific or behaviour specific would be far better advice.

I wondered that many times Skye GSD, I think the problems presented could easily be remdied by a good trainer, and there seem to be a few on this board. Sometimes the problem is quite obvious from the post, but it is difficult to be sure of being correct without seeing the dog. I am not sure how many behaviourists advertise or are available - but there are certainly more trainers. :)