Dog Vommitted Yellow Thick Liquid

giraffez

My older dog vommitted yellow thick liquid today (before food). I've reduced the intake of his food by 1/4-1/2 as other posters has recommended for the past two weeks as he is a bit overweight. I googled on the internet and yellow liquid usually indicates hunger. Is this correct?

My older dog vommitted yellow thick liquid today (before food). I've reduced the intake of his food by 1/4-1/2 as other posters has recommended for the past two weeks as he is a bit overweight. I googled on the internet and yellow liquid usually indicates hunger. Is this correct?

It indicates bile eruption which can happen with hunger, I guess it's similar when missing a meal ourselves where hunger turns to feeling a bit sick. Dieting the dog with a reduced intake may take an adjustment period, but a dog biscuit between meals generally stops the vomiting of bile. It happens with pups often overnight when getting over hungry.

It indicates bile eruption which can happen with hunger, I guess it's similar when missing a meal ourselves where hunger turns to feeling a bit sick. Dieting the dog with a reduced intake may take an adjustment period, but a dog biscuit between meals generally stops the vomiting of bile. It happens with pups often overnight when getting over hungry.

:champagne: Does he need medication from the vet or should I just give him a snack? The adjustment in food i did over days not immediately.

My Kieran used to do this every morning, early... until I started giving him a small snack at bed time :champagne:

Yes, my older boy did that regularly when he was young which led us into a habit of giving all our three a biscuit last thing at night which fixed the problem.

:champagne: Does he need medication from the vet or should I just give him a snack? The adjustment in food i did over days not immediately.

I would just try him on a dog biscuit last thing before you go to bed which should fix things. Vets often prescribe something like Mylanta to squirt down their throats, but essentially it's bile with no food in their stomach to work on and is a very common problem especially if the dog has one large meal or goes 12 or so hours without food I have found. Feeding two smaller meals a day can overcome the bile regurgitation also.

Girrafez,

If your dog continues to vomit any bile, he should see your vet. Schnauzers can be prone to pancreatitis and vomitting bile is a symptom.

Make sure he is on a low fat diet. If one of mine vomitted a fair amount of bile they would see the vet.

Girrafez,

If your dog continues to vomit any bile, he should see your vet. Schnauzers can be prone to pancreatitis and vomitting bile is a symptom.

Make sure he is on a low fat diet. If one of mine vomitted a fair amount of bile they would see the vet.

That's exactly what I wanted to say. Does your older dog seem interested in eating or does he look ill, If he doesn't want to eat then I would go to the vet ASAP because pancreatitis could be very serious, very painful not to mention fatal. Benson my older boy stayed at the vets for 4 days on a drip. He is on very limited fat now and doing well.

There is another thread on 'health and nutrition' with the dog in question possibly having pancreatitis. He has been hospitalized on a drip and the owner is awaiting the the final diagnosis at the moment.

Girrafez,

Ok Schnauzer. Thanks. But he getting less food than he usually does and he is on the weight management type kibble. Could be the bone i fed him yesterday for dinner and a medium kong.

Any other signs i should look out for if its pancreatitis?

That's exactly what I wanted to say. Does your older dog seem interested in eating or does he look ill, If he doesn't want to eat then I would go to the vet ASAP because pancreatitis could be very serious, very painful not to mention fatal. Benson my older boy stayed at the vets for 4 days on a drip. He is on very limited fat now and doing well.

There is another thread on 'health and nutrition' with the dog in question possibly having pancreatitis. He has been hospitalized on a drip and the owner is awaiting the the final diagnosis at the moment.

He has no problem eating. His appetite is as big as an elephant! I gave him 1/4 handful more of kibbles today soaked in water on top of what he usually gets and he gobbled it up. His energy level is high also, he has been wrestling with his little brother all morning.

is lack of interest in food a symptom of pancreatitis?

Edited by giraffez

Girrafez,

An attack of pancreatitis, the dog is crook and droopy and in a lot of pain, dry heaving diarreha, won't eat really sick, not a simple bile perk and then gets on with it's day as normal. We had a Labrador years ago that would get an attack from the fat in bone marrow, ended up on a morphine shot and a drip for two days. Pancreatitis attacks are severe illness from my experience, you will know the dog needs vet attention.

He has no problem eating. His appetite is as big as an elephant! I gave him 1/4 handful more of kibbles today soaked in water on top of what he usually gets and he gobbled it up. His energy level is high also, he has been wrestling with his little brother all morning.

It's not pancreatitis giraffez, the dog is crook in a big way and gets worse as the day progresses dry heaving every 10 minutes when there is nothing left and hiding in pain, they won't eat, in fact it's quite scary seeing the dog so ill.

Well, thankfully it seems it is NOT pancreatitis. There is a lack of appetite and the dog feels very unwell and you just know your pet is sick. Even so, with both your boys, keep the fat levels down in what you feed.

Girrafez,

An attack of pancreatitis, the dog is crook and droopy and in a lot of pain, dry heaving diarreha, won't eat really sick, not a simple bile perk and then gets on with it's day as normal. We had a Labrador years ago that would get an attack from the fat in bone marrow, ended up on a morphine shot and a drip for two days. Pancreatitis attacks are severe illness from my experience, you will know the dog needs vet attention.

Sorry to disagree 55 chevy. My GSD had one episode of vomitting bile, I took him to the vet immediately as it had never happened before, and he had pancreatitis - he died in the vets the next day, even though every effort was made to save him.

Edited by schnauzer

Girrafez,

Sorry to disagree 55 chevy. My GSD had one episode of vomitting bile, I took him to the vet immediately as it had never happened before, and he had pancreatitis - he died in the vets the next day, even though every effort was made to save him.

But the difference here is that the dog is eating and other than the vomiting, according to Giraffez he is not showing any other signs of illness. If he does show other than his normal behaviour, he should be taken to the vet immediately.

Girrafez,

I am sorry to hear about your GSD very sad, but as I said the condition worsens through the day which would have happened with your GSD considering he died the day after I would imagine. They don't just vomit once, eat and behave in normal vigour and drop dead suddenly from that condition I am aware of, they progressively worsen and become extremely ill and droopy.