Dog Vommitted Yellow Thick Liquid

giraffez

One cannot use "internet diagnosis" to diagnose any health issue.

As I said in my previous post, if the dog continues to vomit bile I would see the vet.

Yes of course, we would all agree on that, but the OP's dog isn't continually vomiting bile and is otherwise eating, healthy and vibrant which isn't the symptoms of pancreatitis as we know of it :champagne:

Thanks all

Schnauzer - sorry to hear about your GSD. I'm very conscious about the weight of my dog as i know minis are very prone to pancreatis. When i visited my vet 2 months ago, she mentioned he needs to lose 1 kg and I've been trying to reduce the intake but he is not overly fat. I may need to stop giving him bones as they are quite fattening (i trim off all the fat already but i believed the bone itself is also fattening). The reason i give it to him is so he can get a good clean on his teeth.

I've been keeping and eye on him all day and so far so good. No more vomiting since this morning's episode and he appears to be his normal self. I will be monitoring him closely and appreciate the knowledge and experience you all have shared with me on this matter.

Thanks all

Schnauzer - sorry to hear about your GSD. I'm very conscious about the weight of my dog as i know minis are very prone to pancreatis. When i visited my vet 2 months ago, she mentioned he needs to lose 1 kg and I've been trying to reduce the intake but he is not overly fat. I may need to stop giving him bones as they are quite fattening (i trim off all the fat already but i believed the bone itself is also fattening). The reason i give it to him is so he can get a good clean on his teeth.

I've been keeping and eye on him all day and so far so good. No more vomiting since this morning's episode and he appears to be his normal self. I will be monitoring him closely and appreciate the knowledge and experience you all have shared with me on this matter.

Thanks. It was many years ago that he died, he showed no other symptoms other than one vomit and he was still eating and normal. The only other sign that he was ill was that he did not show any interest in the other dogs in the vets waiting room - that was when I knew it was really serious.

Great that he has not vomitted again and you are keeping a close eye on him. :laugh: Maybe increase his exercise with some extra free running for him to lose weight - what does he weigh? I am sure playing with the puppy will keep him lean. :laugh:

Thanks. It was many years ago that he died, he showed no other symptoms other than one vomit and he was still eating and normal. The only other sign that he was ill was that he did not show any interest in the other dogs in the vets waiting room - that was when I knew it was really serious.

Great that he has not vomitted again and you are keeping a close eye on him. :rolleyes: Maybe increase his exercise with some extra free running for him to lose weight - what does he weigh? I am sure playing with the puppy will keep him lean. :D

I just put him on the scales, he is 14kg :D but he is an oversized mini - he is 17 -18 inches from the floor to the top of his shoulders. Vet said 12kg is ideal for his size. With the reduction in food and the weight management food, he is still putting on weight. Exercise is a bit hard as he refuses to walk at a certain point when i take him on walks. I stand still and wait for him but he won't budge... i try another route and he stops at a certain point also. I take him for a run at the local park too but he doesn't run around that much, he just walks around sniffing. He doesn't get snacks or table scraps either! So i'm :laugh:

I am hoping the puppy will get some kilos off also. There has been a lot of chasing around in the yard and wrestling :laugh:

Edited by giraffez

I just put him on the scales, he is 14kg :laugh: but he is an oversized mini - he is 17 -18 inches from the floor to the top of his shoulders. Vet said 12kg is ideal for his size. With the reduction in food and the weight management food, he is still putting on weight. Exercise is a bit hard as he refuses to walk at a certain point when i take him on walks. I stand still and wait for him but he won't budge... i try another route and he stops at a certain point also. I take him for a run at the local park too but he doesn't run around that much, he just walks around sniffing. He doesn't get snacks or table scraps either! So i'm :laugh:

I am hoping the puppy will get some kilos off also. There has been a lot of chasing around in the yard and wrestling :rolleyes:

Giraffez,

Are you sure he's not eating the puppy's food as well? My min schnauzer (RIP last year) was quite similar in nature and size to yours - reduce his food and he would reduce his physical activity to match!

He was also a master food thief ... to the point of stealing food from my standard schnauzer's bowl while he was eating from it!!!

Great that he has not vomitted again and you are keeping a close eye on him. :rolleyes: Maybe increase his exercise with some extra free running for him to lose weight - what does he weigh? I am sure playing with the puppy will keep him lean. ;)

I just put him on the scales, he is 14kg :D but he is an oversized mini - he is 17 -18 inches from the floor to the top of his shoulders. Vet said 12kg is ideal for his size. With the reduction in food and the weight management food, he is still putting on weight. Exercise is a bit hard as he refuses to walk at a certain point when i take him on walks. I stand still and wait for him but he won't budge... i try another route and he stops at a certain point also. I take him for a run at the local park too but he doesn't run around that much, he just walks around sniffing. He doesn't get snacks or table scraps either! So i'm :laugh:

I am hoping the puppy will get some kilos off also. There has been a lot of chasing around in the yard and wrestling :laugh:

14kg :D :) My male is 8.8kg but fit and lean and 14" tall. I think a lack of exercise could be attributing to his weight - can you throw a ball for him at the park? Have you tried an obedience club for his problem with walking on the leash? If you teach him to heel correctly, he will go wherever you go. :(

14kg :laugh::o My male is 8.8kg but fit and lean and 14" tall. I think a lack of exercise could be attributing to his weight - can you throw a ball for him at the park? Have you tried an obedience club for his problem with walking on the leash? If you teach him to heel correctly, he will go wherever you go. :o

Yep he will chase after the ball but he will stop at the ball. He walks fine at obedience class, its only on our normal walks that he freaks out for some reason at certain points. Once i manage to get him pass the spot, he is okay for the rest of the walk. Nothing special has every happened at the spot so i don't know why he won't move on.

Although he is 14kg, i can still feel the bones on the ribcage and he still has the "slippery dip" shape on his tummy. But definitely needs to lose the weight. What weight should a mini of his height be at? He has been quite a big built since he was a puppy, i suspect he is around 2 sizes bigger than the average mini (he is up to his last hole on a 45 cm kramar collar).

post-23357-1290927847_thumb.jpg

Edited by giraffez

What where you feeding prior to his weight management change>>

His bringing up bile could also be related to the change of food because weight management may not agree with his system.

If he is still getting fat & getting no other foods & you have stuck to a specific cup/weight routine PLUS taken into account anything added like bones etc etc then health issues need to be considered

What are you feeding & how much

Our guys who run an acre daily for hrs get 1/2 -1/3 cup of royal canin plus there tuckertime roll about 1/2- 1/3 cup varying on age & ability to put on weight.

Ours don't get bones or other real treats.

What where you feeding prior to his weight management change>>

His bringing up bile could also be related to the change of food because weight management may not agree with his system.

If he is still getting fat & getting no other foods & you have stuck to a specific cup/weight routine PLUS taken into account anything added like bones etc etc then health issues need to be considered

What are you feeding & how much

Our guys who run an acre daily for hrs get 1/2 -1/3 cup of royal canin plus there tuckertime roll about 1/2- 1/3 cup varying on age & ability to put on weight.

Ours don't get bones or other real treats.

He has been on weight management artemis for like 2 months now so i don't think thats the problem. I still think its the bone i fed him yesterday and not giving him any kibbles after that as the bone did not have much meat on it or the reduction in food i've been giving him.

I'm feeding atm less than 1/2 cup artemis and 1/2 cup of meat - the same amount twice a day. Occasional snacks like 3/4 of dog biscuit and small pieces of dried liver treats. He gets a bone once a week (or once a fortnight) and when he has the bone, he doesn't get breakfast.

Edited by giraffez

Basenji's are well known for the bile vomit, if not fed twice a day...

ETA... Just this weekend, my daughter 'forgot' to feed the dogs, in the morning when she got up. So instead of having b'fast at about 6.30-7.00 am, they didnt get fed till about 11 am. Result............. one 5 month old puppy taken outside, rushed to some grass, then up came the biley vomit, ate b'fast 5 mins later :) . 2 others had already vomited in their crates... Not happy JAN... Told said daughter to hand wash their bedding, of course that didnt get done :hug: ...

Edited by rajacadoo