The Secret Life Of Dogs

gillybob

I want that Border Collie. I reckon I can teach it to do the housework, buy the groceries and put away the laundry. Given a year or so, I could also teach it to clean the car, weed the garden and operate the rideon mower.

I loved that doco! Of course we humans can pick the dogs different barks and the dogs follow our pointing fingers or pick up on the slightest cue such as the movement of an eye.

The silver foxes were interesting. What was the go with them being on wire cages off the ground though. All I thought of was aww their poor feet :thumbsup:

I want that Border Collie. I reckon I can teach it to do the housework, buy the groceries and put away the laundry. Given a year or so, I could also teach it to clean the car, weed the garden and operate the rideon mower.

:thumbsup: Thinking like a true pack leader Gayle.

The russian fox breeding experiment was fascinating but horrid the way they were kept & one has to wonder how many were killed over the 50 years. They must have been for some parts of it.

I was impressed by the bc that could identify so many different things... particularly that she could understand German! (haha... yeah I know).

Mandela can identify about 8 things. 252 to go !!! :thumbsup:

I must try him with pictures and see how he fairs.

The eye thing - dogs do it too. We've always made our dog think when it comes to showing us what she wants (even though we know) such as dinner time if looking hopefully doesnt work and she has to make it obvious in her mind she'll grab her food ball and dump it in front of us. So looking from us to the bench where food is and back is nothing unusual - thought it was her but at a bbq last week the little white dog did the same when we were on the way out stood next to the table looked at us looked at the table where the food was and back to us. Horses also follow what you are looking at too had one carrying on once and then I realised if he kept rearing up and going backwards he would trip over the little roped off area directly behind him - obviously I changed in demeanour and where I was looking to slight panic and immediately horse realised something had changed and immediately stopped carrying on.

Interesting comparision in the pointing experiment but one thing they did get wrong some dogs do 'point' think about the 'Pointer' breeds and had even seen our dog stop and stare and have a front leg in a half pointer type stance. Perhaps its part of the group hunting that was mentioned.

The silver foxes were interesting. What was the go with them being on wire cages off the ground though. All I thought of was aww their poor feet :thumbsup:

That breeding program was done in the late 60's early 70's from memory - stand to be corrected. And they were wild animals to start with until they went through several generations of careful selection. I guess that humans have developed in our ability to care for and have empathy for animals over that time. There is a full documentary of that alone which I have seen several times - think I may have it on video tape :D - thats how old it is . . .

Loved the show. It was great seeing something so positive about the relationship between humans and dogs, with a bit of scientific backup as well!

I wonder if that BC has any offspring? (I may have missed that bit in the show)