Retrieving & Field Training Talk

Congratulations to Pam, FHRP and all who did well at Canberra over the weekend.

Extra congrats to Pam and Shimmer for gaining the first title. Shame it was a GSP and not a Goldie!! Just kidding, of course - just remembered Pam is judging this week so I'd better be nice to her.

Love it when the RATG is not just on the grounds of a park and there is different terrain.

Where dummies used? It's a pity there are not more tests done using game - it would be good to test their "mouths" as well as their retrieving ability.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love it when the RATG is not just on the grounds of a park and there is different terrain.

Me too :shrug: The judge made good use of the grounds IMO. Incorporated some cover in Novice, but had the dummy landed in the open, so a very achieveable challenge for the Novice dogs.

Where dummies used? It's a pity there are not more tests done using game - it would be good to test their "mouths" as well as their retrieving ability.

You mustn't be able to view the pics? ;) Dummies were used, not birds. I think for our first Test dummies were a good idea to encourage some new people who are still a bit thingy about dead birds ;) Maybe we'll have birds at one of our test next year!

I may well come along to help out!

Mr TSD helped us with a couple of sets of single marks over the last week. It was really interesting to watch Em's learning process - she actually ran harder and more straight and delivered more quickly as we progressed. Not that she was slow at all but you could just see her confidence and determination grow with practice. Mr TSD thinks we were working at a distance of 150m, the length of the oval.

I'm also concentrating on extending the distance to sighted blinds. Em takes great delight in taking direction now so will start combining backs and overs. Then I will pick up the walking baseball drill, which Lablover thinks we will enjoy :)

I should be in bed, but as usual I get sidetracked into looking up all things dog and training :( Was trying to look up DVD's or books to teach me some more, but got lost with no idea what I should be looking for, so ended up at youtube to look up free videos :(

I came across this video of a Working Cocker in the UK doing a retrieve - oh my I want that eagerness!!

I'm guess Working Cockers either aren't here in Australia or just aren't very popular? Do they compete in retrieving here in Australia?

Wikipedia brought me back the most adorable photo of one I've ever seen, gorgeous colour too, I want! :eek:

521px-FieldCocker2.JPG

They look a lot different to show line English Cockers we see here? While I think they are nice dogs, I probably wouldn't want to own one, but these working ones look nice :eek:

While I am yeeeeears off my next dog, it doesn't stop me thinking well in advance what I want. After all the research I will probably stick to what I know and love and get another Lab, but I want to be sure I am not missing out on another awesome gundog that I might not have given a second thought to previously :eek:

Edited by RubyStar

Thanks everyone. The wild child didn't work to her normal standard but I only wanted a pass so that's what she gave me. Went to Canberra as I am unable to compete again until the end of June and I want her in Open as soon as possible. Now, maybe, I might just have to teach her the open retrieves.

Mollipop, can you believe I am praying for rain so that some of the competitors stay at home next week. We have 26 entries (18 novice and 8 open) so it is going to be a very, very l o n g day for me. Have never judged more than 18 before and that was when there was only 1 mark in novice.

Congratulations gspx3 :eek: Sorry - I didn't realise it was you!!!

A very interesting lightbulb experience for Em last night. Was sending to a pile over ever increasing distance when she spied something white to my left and became fixated on it. As in 'Mum, you idiot! It's over there!!!!' :( I gently said no and tried to line her up straight but she wouldn't have a bar of it. I moved in closer to the pile but she was still not impressed and getting more and more miserable about why I wouldn't send her. I nearly threw in the towel for the night but decided I needed to push her gently over this learning 'hump'. I made it much easier, she lined straight for a split second and I sent her. Oh my goodness, but the look of sheer delight on her face was magnificent as she finally figured out that I did know where the dummies were after all :( I did another set of 4 sighted blinds and she was so pleased with herself.

I'm guess Working Cockers either aren't here in Australia or just aren't very popular? Do they compete in retrieving here in Australia?

There are Working Cockers in Australia, but I'd guess there's not many. We did have one turn up to a Retreiving trial a few years back with a couple, the woman having emigrated from the UK and brought the dog with her. It was a lovely liver dog and very interested in the trial, he'd been worked in the UK. I will try and dig up a pic I took of him when I'm home. Unfortauntely I never saw them again and when a friend was trying to source a Working Cocker pup I couldn't track them down :)

I have heard that there have been some recent Working Cocker imports, maybe Steve Austin is even using them?? Could have my wires crossed there though.

There was at least one Cocker run quite extensively in Retrieving trials in Eastern Australia, but it was well before my time in the sport. I do hear the stories though. Not sure if it was Working or Show lines though...

Aren't they lovely RS! As far as I know they are not in Australia, at least in any numbers. I know of someone doing retrieving with one in NZ - lovely looking dog but VERY low drive according to her owner, who has had to really think laterally to get her retrieving.

I thought cockers would be low drive as well, certainly the show lines ones I've seen doing agility seem pretty low drive. Gorgeous little dogs though - remember seeing a couuple at the agility nationals that I could have easily dognapped :) But watching that video of a working cocker it seemed pretty full on to me :) And that one I posted a picture of is just devine looking to boot!

I want my next dog to have more drive! Ruby seriously lacks it at times, and while Millie has got more, I didn't get to train her from a puppy as I didn't adopt her til she was 2ish. She's doing pretty well to get this far without an inch of training until she was an adult :) I think she was born with the crazy gene :):) Ruby's a better travelling partner as she's so calm, but Millie makes for more fun training, even if she doesn't listen to me sometimes and couldn't care less if I tell her NO :o ;)

I will try and dig up a pic I took of him when I'm home.

That would be great! I wish there were more in Australia, as I'd like to know more about them. But I guess if they are hard to come by, I can rule them out...

I want my next dog to have more drive!

Careful what you wish for!! :) I wanted a dog with more drive for retrieving after having Rogan, and now I have Polo who is off his face with enthusiasm most of the time!! Most of the time I love his enthusiasm, but there's times where calm just looks so much easier :)

You would be hard to beat a working lab for drive for retrieving though....

I want my next dog to have more drive!

Careful what you wish for!! :) I wanted a dog with more drive for retrieving after having Rogan, and now I have Polo who is off his face with enthusiasm most of the time!! Most of the time I love his enthusiasm, but there's times where calm just looks so much easier ;)

You would be hard to beat a working lab for drive for retrieving though....

Sounds a bit like the difference between Ruby and Millie, too :) Ruby is a calmer dog, such a joy to live with and travel with. Millie, is off her face crazy most of the time which makes training fun (but comes with its own challenges of getting her to listen to me!) but not as calm to live/travel with. But because training is such a big part of my life, I will take the crazy dog over the calm dog because it's frustrating as hell trying to motivate Ruby!! At least Millie knows how to settle at home :)

Yes a working Lab may be on the list next. We'll see! Sometimes I wish I could just start over with a pup because trying to motivate an adult Lab who hasn't had proper foundations is like pushing sh*t uphill sometimes. But I have what I have, I will just have to do the best I can with my two kids and wait until I've achieved/learnt more before I jump in with a new pup! I was only thinking on the weekend how great it is to go about my thing around the house and if I can't hear the dogs, I have no reason to suspect they are up to mischief. They are usually asleep in bed! It's taken quite a while to get to this point of trust :)

Edited by RubyStar

Wow - so different aren't they! I'd love to meet more of them and get an idea how they work. I don't think one with low drive of my acquaintance is much to go on :)

Did you watch the youtube link I posted earlier? To me, that looked pretty high drive, but I don't have much to compare to :) In relation to Em, what do you think of that working cockers drive? There are more videos on that person's youtube channel with other cockers, too.

Thanks for reminding me RS! Was out of range before...dog looks very keen but it's hard watching videos and gauging a dog's potential sometimes - different training can mask/enhance genetics. Will check out some other videos when I have a chance.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

The very small bits I've seen of working cockers has certainly not been low drive. I haven't watched the youtube clip (can't at work and forgot at lunch :(). I've also seen some pretty drivey show cockers too! Maybe not suited to retrieving, but very competant in GWT's and agility & obedience.

Thanks for reminding me RS! Was out of range before...dog looks very keen but it's hard watching videos and gauging a dog's potential sometimes - different training can mask/enhance genetics. Will check out some other videos when I have a chance.

Very true! I guess for me seeing a dog dash out like it did and look so eager, really impressed me! So on a drivey scale, it was up there for me ;) But I know training has a biiiiiiiig part in it as well. When you have a dog with a pretty ho-hum attitude sometimes, anything with more get up and go appeals to me! :( Don't get me wrong, my girls love the whole retrieve thing and can have some speed on them, but it's nothing like what I'm sure all you guys have. And I know training is a big part to blame. Ruby lacks confidence which in turn makes her slow and question things, and she hates being drilled. Her dummy handler also lacks confidence :laugh:

So does anyone have any book recommendations for me for retrieving drills and general info? Borders online have 25% off their books (30% for members) so thought I should perhaps take advantage of it!

I was looking at this book, anyone know if it's any good?

Retriever Training Drills For Marking

by James B. Spencer

http://www.borders.com.au/book/retriever-t...arking/5549807/

Would also love other suggestions if anyone has them!! Thanks :)

Edited by RubyStar