Retrieving & Field Training Talk

sounds like millies witch is turned on rs.

I know that is likely an autocorrect mishap, but I think that is truer than what you meant to type laugh.gif

Good luck with your trial this weekend!! Be sure to check in and let us know how you went :D

I forgot to say, great photos TSD! I clicked on the facebook link but only saw maybe 1 of Em in there? Maybe I was seeing the wrong thing confused.gif

Stoopid auto correct!!!,!, sorry

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well even though I'm on holidays I went to visit Zora's breeder and 'helped out' with their training! :thumbsup: We did some land retrieves and then went to the river, super impressed is an understatement as their two 11 week old pups were absolutely fantastic. One of the dummies from the launcher went a bit far and little Dee Dee ended up swimming at least 60 or 70m to get it! They also had an older bitch Cosmo there who was super keen and going beautifully, she reminded me so much of Zora in temperament! I have over 300 pics but here are a couple of my favs.

(I almost stole the pup in the second pic, he was so adorable and retrieving reliably to hand!)

576982_10151386443984037_1939091525_n.jpg

24665_10151386447179037_577842378_n.jpg

What a wonderful experience TSD, wine and dog stuff! Sounds like my perfect day!

I know! What a great combination eh!!!

sounds like millies witch is turned on rs.

Love it :rofl:

i

t was only 4 degrees this morning, I'm so excited we can start to get into the long grass and do some long/distance work. (Although there is still a lot more yard work to b done) I set the bumper boy up and did a few long marks, he was awesome. Then I put a bird out and he spat it at my feet? What's with that, never spat anything at me before.

There's always something to review *rolls eyes* Isn't the cooler weather lovely though - and the dogs are just jumping out of their skin at training :)

Oh we'll lots of sessions with that this week as we have our irate trial for the season this weekend!

Love the auto correct :laugh:

I forgot to say, great photos TSD! I clicked on the facebook link but only saw maybe 1 of Em in there? Maybe I was seeing the wrong thing confused.gif

No, you're right RS - just put the link up so you could see the other dogs and the lovely tweeds and the yummy food :thumbsup:

The more I train the more I realise how much we have to train!!!

The Little Monster was just about beside herself yesterday....certainly no lack of enthusiasm and she just wanted to keep going and going and going...was very unimpressed when it wasn't her turn :o

Started on a T-drill across a small body of water - it's not quite deep enough for swimming so actually quite useful as a warm up. Just worked on sending to pile and stopping/casting right. One thing at a time. Apart from my throwing skills it went fairly well but much more work needed.

Moved the T-drill to a larger body of water and did the same thing - saw some improvement but needs more work. Did some backs/lefts/rights through cover into water with distracting bumpers thrown on land as well. Em was all over it so it's clearly the stopping and casting IN water that we need to concentrate on. Making sure she understands physical and verbal cues separately.

I wanted to do a relatively easy water mark as an introduction to a channel swim so set her up, walked out, threw the dummy and sent her from afar. The wind whipped up the water and the dummy floated into a really bad position behind heavy reeds and much, much further away than I'd intended. She was having trouble finding it as she got very distracted by me walking back to the send point. Of course I could see her better then but I was much further away than I would have liked so it was not easy to handle her to it - waaaaay too much for her but I really wanted that dummy back! Threw a few dummies to get her in the area but then I had several more that floated away that she had to pick up - a bit of a mess really but we got through it, I kept her in the water (cheaty coming back) and she delivered the final one with just as much enthusiasm as the first one. Great attitude to some sh!t training. She was desperate to go again so I gave her a rest before doing a few simpler water retrieves plus a two bird. Phew!

The Little Monster was just about beside herself yesterday....certainly no lack of enthusiasm and she just wanted to keep going and going and going...was very unimpressed when it wasn't her turn :o

Started on a T-drill across a small body of water - it's not quite deep enough for swimming so actually quite useful as a warm up. Just worked on sending to pile and stopping/casting right. One thing at a time. Apart from my throwing skills it went fairly well but much more work needed.

Moved the T-drill to a larger body of water and did the same thing - saw some improvement but needs more work. Did some backs/lefts/rights through cover into water with distracting bumpers thrown on land as well. Em was all over it so it's clearly the stopping and casting IN water that we need to concentrate on. Making sure she understands physical and verbal cues separately.

I wanted to do a relatively easy water mark as an introduction to a channel swim so set her up, walked out, threw the dummy and sent her from afar. The wind whipped up the water and the dummy floated into a really bad position behind heavy reeds and much, much further away than I'd intended. She was having trouble finding it as she got very distracted by me walking back to the send point. Of course I could see her better then but I was much further away than I would have liked so it was not easy to handle her to it - waaaaay too much for her but I really wanted that dummy back! Threw a few dummies to get her in the area but then I had several more that floated away that she had to pick up - a bit of a mess really but we got through it, I kept her in the water (cheaty coming back) and she delivered the final one with just as much enthusiasm as the first one. Great attitude to some sh!t training. She was desperate to go again so I gave her a rest before doing a few simpler water retrieves plus a two bird. Phew!

Sounds like this may have been a bit much for her TSD. Always remember (and this isn't just for you but for all of us), that you are training, and you can simplify, walk in to help your dog making the distance between you and her/him, shorter, or abandon completely if it doesn't work. You are making very good progress with her though, and if you look back to a year ago you will agree with that. It is great that she has so much enthusiasm, but I know from experience that this can be regretted sometimes. But, I'd rather have enthusiasm than the other way, wouldn't you ?

I am planning on coming to Vic for the Nationals in September, so hope that we are able to meet up again, and this time, I can see the legendary "EM".

But, I'd rather have enthusiasm than the other way, wouldn't you ?

I can answer this one.

YES. Big fat YES. I so hate working a dog that lacks enthusiasm, it makes it paaaaaiiinful!!

Millie's got nothing on working/field lines, but she has a heck of a lot more enthusiasm than Ruby does, so it makes training Millie fun (and also incredibly frustrating when she doesn't listen, but it's much better than a dog who is bored).

One day I might get my wish of a high drive dog... and hopefully not regret it laugh.gif

Sounds like this may have been a bit much for her TSD. Always remember (and this isn't just for you but for all of us), that you are training, and you can simplify, walk in to help your dog making the distance between you and her/him, shorter, or abandon completely if it doesn't work. You are making very good progress with her though, and if you look back to a year ago you will agree with that. It is great that she has so much enthusiasm, but I know from experience that this can be regretted sometimes. But, I'd rather have enthusiasm than the other way, wouldn't you ?

I am planning on coming to Vic for the Nationals in September, so hope that we are able to meet up again, and this time, I can see the legendary "EM".

Thanks fetchin' - it was ABSOLUTELY too much for her but I had wanted it to be a much shorter mark. Unfortunately the wind picked up all of a sudden and I was an idiot not to realise that might happen. Plus where it floated to meant that I was either closer and couldn't see her or further away but in a better position to help. And the more dummies I threw the more she had to go back and get! Very poor planning. Live and learn I guess.

Yes, she's come an awfully long way - so many triallers can't believe she's the same dog. I wouldn't swap her enthusiasm for anything....fortunately I've done an awful lot of self control exercises so she is great in that regard (famous last words :laugh: ). Very much looking forward to catching up during the Nationals - it will be a great lead up with all those trials :thumbsup:

Patience RS - those dogs will teach you more than you realise (Ziggy is proof of that!!!)

Beautiful pics RV :) That's a long swim for a baby puppy!!! Love the training grounds too.

Thanks TSD. They decided to let her try and if she gave up were going to send the older bitch for it. But Dee Dee is a VERY determined little pup so she did it :thumbsup: I love the river there, sadly all the local ones in WA have gross water and steep banks :S

Well! THAT was a much better training session :D

I was in a hell of a bad mood.....(long story)......in the past that would mean NO training but now, as soon as I start training, I go to my happy place so that's my drug of choice :thumbsup:

Started with a single T over the creek she can run through - so, so, so much better! Em must have dreamt about that exercise the last few nights. She was running straight past big white dummies that had floated in to get to the back pile. Stopped and cast really well. Sits are still not straight in water so I always ask her to fix it. Nice young lad was watching and asked me me a million questions. Turns out he has a Pointer he takes hunting and wanted to know how to train her. I gave him a few tips but suggested he get in contact with the clubs and pick up a few books etc. He just about flipped out when I told him that Em is only a young Novice dog and the All Age dogs were 100 x better :laugh:

Moved the dogs over to the large body of water and ran the same single T again. She has trouble treading water for long but took the casts really well and I was completely chuffed. I think the penny has dropped but, of course, so much more to do. Tossed a couple of water marks and noticed that she really doesn't mark well when I throw the dummies - too busy watching me and just bluffs the retrieve. Smart @r$e! I wanted to finish off with one more......it involved a fair bit of walking to get around the water but I set up a very luke warm across water blind. A decent swim for Em and she nailed it without a whistle. Her line was just about spot on - slightly skew whiff at the start but I think she quartered as she entered the water (tends to be a sign of confusion with her, reverting back to her Spaniel ways) but then she realised what game we were playing and powered straight through. Lots of distracting water birds teasing her but she just ignored them.

I was breathalysed on the way home so training was an excellent drug choice. The copper thought the dogs were tops :)

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Sounds great TSD!

Ruby and I are back from a morning of training. Nothing like your work TSD but I am sooooooo chuffed with my girl!

For a dog who lacks enthusiasm, she was oozing it this morning (even after being out late trialling last night). We started with a single mark across a small piece of water and onto a bank. Picked that up (but cheated slightly on the way back, as did the others I noticed). Had a break, and came back to try it as a double rise. Good girl Ruby!!! She understood the command and off she went out again. Took her a little bit to find it, but she kept looking and was rewarded with finding it :D

Did a couple of single marks into water so she could have a swim and work on water deliveries. Oh and her heeling between the flags was much improved today. No serious amounts of forging on the way there :laugh:

While I was waiting around I decided to work on some easy blinds with a frozen bird in a sock into some thick grass. Started close and backed it up a bit by the end, and with each send she was as enthusiastic as the first :) Some reminders earlier of sit to the whistle helped because when we came back to the blind game after doing a water run, she overran it so I whistled her into the area and blow me down, when I whistled for a sit, she did! :D Yes, baby things, but for me and this particular dog, I am SO CHUFFED!!!

She has developed a new stress issue (even though it was all kept light and fun and she wasn't grumbled at once!) She stopped about 10 metres in front of me each time to stop and pee on the way back, even though she was toileted before her run. I'm not going to concern myself just yet, hoping that will sort itself out as confidence builds. More important things to worry about!

I hope for more training days like today, they are so motivating :D

Heading out tomorrow morning with the retrieving club for Millie's last training class for the year. Hope she enjoys it as much as she did last week :) Bit of everything for the dogs this weekend. Obedience trial last night, agility games trial tonight, and retrieving training both mornings. Gundogs, so versatile :D

That's great to hear RS! And quite a weekend :eek:

I worked today so took Em training close to home in the late afternoon. A steep hill provided lots of training opportunities with the bumper boy - fortunately council has cut the very heavy grass cover down but I can use fallen trees at the edge of the forrest as necessary. Worked on memory marks across the face of the hill - lines and memory were good. Walked a hot blind out from some logs at quite an angle downhill until she was working at a good distance. Ran the same double mark but from further uphill, the short mark was the memory. All good. Turned the BB around so the long mark down the hill fired first (I have 2 launchers facing in opposite direction). Send for the blind. Send for the long memory mark. Fire off a two bird. Send. All good! Lots of wins :) I think the tourists at the top of The Lookout enjoyed it as well! It was surprisingly muggy and she was having too much fun to rest or drink so we called it a day. I have more I want to do with that hill so perhaps we will go back tomorrow.

Isn't it funny, and a bit humbling, when someone who doesn't work dogs or who is very new at it looks at what you do (all sorts of training) with awe? We think its very novice stuff, but to others it is fantastic :laugh: I overheard a comment about me and my dogs (a positive one laugh.gif) from someone I don't know and it was nice.

Millie had her last retrieving club lesson today. We were first up for the first water mark, and her dummy landed into a pile of mud! As she tried getting it (elbow deep in mud), she made it sink eek1.gif I was devo, it was my only dummy with wings on it laugh.gif But later on the tide moved and revealed the dummy, so one of the experienced dogs got sent across the water as a blind thumbsup1.gif We hand threw her another one so she didn't come back empty handed mouthed laugh.gif

Isn't it funny, and a bit humbling, when someone who doesn't work dogs or who is very new at it looks at what you do (all sorts of training) with awe? We think its very novice stuff, but to others it is fantastic :laugh: I overheard a comment about me and my dogs (a positive one laugh.gif) from someone I don't know and it was nice.

Millie had her last retrieving club lesson today. We were first up for the first water mark, and her dummy landed into a pile of mud! As she tried getting it (elbow deep in mud), she made it sink eek1.gif I was devo, it was my only dummy with wings on it laugh.gif But later on the tide moved and revealed the dummy, so one of the experienced dogs got sent across the water as a blind thumbsup1.gif We hand threw her another one so she didn't come back empty handed mouthed laugh.gif

Makes you feel sort of tingly doesn't it ? Now you know how some of us who have been around for awhile feel sometimes. I'm sure some people think that it takes only a couple of days to teach the concepts to our gundogs, and not the hours, weeks, months, years, that actually go into it, but still I know what you mean RS.

After a really hot summer, and no training for months, my training partner/s and I got our butts into gear and actually did some regular sessions. Still difficult to get motivated, but we began achieving some results (bad and good), from our dogs. With the first All Age trials this weekend, I am hoping it has been enough, and that my three put in a good solid performance. Fingers xx. Not much water around again, and cover is even less so. Ho hum.

Makes you feel sort of tingly doesn't it ? Now you know how some of us who have been around for awhile feel sometimes. I'm sure some people think that it takes only a couple of days to teach the concepts to our gundogs, and not the hours, weeks, months, years, that actually go into it, but still I know what you mean RS.

After a really hot summer, and no training for months, my training partner/s and I got our butts into gear and actually did some regular sessions. Still difficult to get motivated, but we began achieving some results (bad and good), from our dogs. With the first All Age trials this weekend, I am hoping it has been enough, and that my three put in a good solid performance. Fingers xx. Not much water around again, and cover is even less so. Ho hum.

I suspect it might be the same for our Easter Trial, fetchin'. I'm so looking forward to 3 days of trialling, camping and chatting! Looks like there are very good numbers for all stakes :thumbsup:

I went back to "my hill" and, would you believe it, there was a couple canoodling as the sun went down so I was a somewhat limited in what I could train. I know it's a beautiful tourist destination AND it was a stunning evening AND it was a weekend but geez!!!!! :laugh: Did a few handling drills and did some hot blinds for lining through cover. Also met up with a friend for water training......very happy with the water marks through thick reeds and a luke-warm across water blind (with game). Set up a rather difficult water-land-water mark with the bumper boy. Called Em through the first dam to show her the line as it was super cheaty. She did really well on that coming and going on every mark. The hardest bit was hitting the land and going straight back into the water which was over the other side of a rise. Surprisingly tough concept - ran it a couple of times and she took a handle into the water but a lot of work to do there as she was a bit confused....will try to get back to the water tomorrow to tidy it up.

TSD said it was about time I posted in this thread...so here goes.

Milly and I entered our first RATG trial last weekend. No pass this time unfortunately but a fantastic day out and boy did we learn lots. The first run was a huge swim which she did easily (and nailed the delivery :) ) But she completely missed the second run - which went down a ditch and up the other side into cover. She initially didn't see the bumper then got stuck hunting in the ditch. The judge was fantastic and got them throw another one for her which she missed again then he asked the steward to pick it up and throw it up in the air which thankfully she got.

The judge was kind enough to offer for me to train with his group. So I went down today and we had a great time. He did some runs across a short creek then built it up the hill to get her confidence. Then we went over to the run she got stuck on from Sunday and slowly built back until she was doing (hot???) blinds from even further back than the start on Sunday. By the end she was super confident and absolutely flying through the scrub and really hunting well.

Its such a shame it takes me an hour and a half to get there....I am going to aim to get to a group session a couple of times a month :)

Yay! Well done RB - you and Milly have a come a long way :thumbsup: You just need to keep entering for the sake of experience and when she passes, I expect it will be in style :D

I went back and reviewed the land-water-land-water mark as a drill with a pile of dummies in the 2nd pond. Started by sending as a hot blind from the exit point of 1st pond. Set her up about half way between ponds and handled back from exit point of 1st pond. Set her up closer to 2nd pond to increase distance from me and sent her back. Then set her up half way and sent her back from entry point of 1st pond. Then sent her as a blind - a little bird flew right in her face and pulled her off line as she exited 1st pond so I had to stop and send her back anyway. Sent her again as a blind and she got it. Not an easy concept. Did some work with the game and then placed it where the pile was and ran the blind. No whistles and no cheating either even though I walked the edge with her a number of time so a good outcome.

Just finishing packing the car with all the camping gear and then I'm setting off for the Easter trial. So excited and I really wish I'd entered Restricted now :laugh: Will try to keep in touch over the weekend - happy trialling to everyone who's getting out there this weekend :thumbsup:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I just popped in here to wish TSD luck for the Easter weekend - and to have a quick sticky beak.

I loved the conversation about how people who don't know any of our dog disciplines think even the simple things are awesome. That would be me :rofl: - don't understand a word of what you guys are saying - but it sounds completely wonderful. Almost ... but only almost ... enought to make me want a gundog, just so I could join in your world. :rofl:

Anyway - best of luck everyone - and especially TSD this weekend. :D

Good luck to all those trialing over Easter!

The NSW Gundog Society had the first NSW trials of the season last weekend, and my first time as trial secretary for a retrieving trial. We all seemed to survive :D I know at least one DOLer had some success with their young black and white GSP :provoke: Novice was so large I'm wodering if there were a few more DOLers there?? It really was a great entry for NSW trials with lots of different breeds represented and doing well. A good sign for the sport.

I took the plunge and entered Polo in his first All Age stake. He was no way ready, we really have done very little training since he got his RRD but I figured I was going to be there anyway and if he got a bird he would be happy as Larry :D He got through the first run :thumbsup: despite trying to go out on the first bird of the triple :o He then manage to pick up all three birds of the next run but had unfortuantely had run out of points by the time I eventually got him through the blackeberries to the two bird. I was still chuffed with what he did and am inspired to put some training in. We'll see how long that lasts...