Retrieving & Field Training Talk

Yah to Torn and Joy!!, love it when shorthairs beat the field! She has done so well on a state and national level these last few years, what a achievement!

Yes, yes and yes :thumbsup:

The weather turned a bit miserable today. I did two sessions, first one on our own with hand thrown marks and the second one with Mr TSD throwing for us. Similar concept for both sessions - leave the fun marks (game) and get the hot blind (dummy) first. If she picked up the dummy cleanly she was allowed to pick up the marks. The ultimate reward :D Ran a triple with the blind splitting two marks and a double fall (blind with mark). It really seemed to help her understanding so it will be interesting to see what she remembers tomorrow!

Fantastic concept, so far from being there! Nice work girls!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well so far it seems to be working, rubyroo, but we will see! I am using the State champ runs as concepts on which to base my training this week.

Two short sessions again, very similar to yesterday - one on our own in the morning and one in the afternoon with Mr TSD throwing for us. Started with a triple in the morning: a hot blind (dummy) splitting 2 marks (game), picking up the dummy first. She nailed that so I did a walk up memory mark (game), short relocation, send for hot blind (dummy), throw two bird (game), pick up two bird, pick up memory mark. Nailed that so I did a short memory mark (game), pick up first hot blind (dummy), pick up second hot blind (game). She was all over that so I'm thinking that selection is improving! Finished off with a single T.....dummy at the top and game either side. Send back to the dummy. Took the cast no problem so I let her pick up the others. This afternoon was short, sweet and successful. Started with a triple mark: Mr TSD threw to our left (moderately long with game), leave, I threw to our right (short with game) and Mr TSD split them with a throw to our right (moderately long with dummy). I sent for the dummy first, then the first mark down and the second mark down. She was fine with that. I left her in a sit stay so she could watch me walk out a dummy for a long blind. As we walked towards the firing point Mr TSD threw a walk up mark (game) for us. Watch. Leave. Left her in a sit stay, walked to firing point, "fired" at the blind, returned to Em, heeled her to firing point (just to mix it up a little). Sent for long blind, which she got in one hit. Meanwhile Mr TSD was running to the other side so he was in a good position to throw a two bird (game) on her way back. Pick up the two bird, pick up the memory mark. Em just thought that was THE BEST FUN EVER :D

Well so far it seems to be working, rubyroo, but we will see! I am using the State champ runs as concepts on which to base my training this week.

Two short sessions again, very similar to yesterday - one on our own in the morning and one in the afternoon with Mr TSD throwing for us. Started with a triple in the morning: a hot blind (dummy) splitting 2 marks (game), picking up the dummy first. She nailed that so I did a walk up memory mark (game), short relocation, send for hot blind (dummy), throw two bird (game), pick up two bird, pick up memory mark. Nailed that so I did a short memory mark (game), pick up first hot blind (dummy), pick up second hot blind (game). She was all over that so I'm thinking that selection is improving! Finished off with a single T.....dummy at the top and game either side. Send back to the dummy. Took the cast no problem so I let her pick up the others. This afternoon was short, sweet and successful. Started with a triple mark: Mr TSD threw to our left (moderately long with game), leave, I threw to our right (short with game) and Mr TSD split them with a throw to our right (moderately long with dummy). I sent for the dummy first, then the first mark down and the second mark down. She was fine with that. I left her in a sit stay so she could watch me walk out a dummy for a long blind. As we walked towards the firing point Mr TSD threw a walk up mark (game) for us. Watch. Leave. Left her in a sit stay, walked to firing point, "fired" at the blind, returned to Em, heeled her to firing point (just to mix it up a little). Sent for long blind, which she got in one hit. Meanwhile Mr TSD was running to the other side so he was in a good position to throw a two bird (game) on her way back. Pick up the two bird, pick up the memory mark. Em just thought that was THE BEST FUN EVER :D

BTW Would it be possible to clone Mr TSD? He sounds like a treasure!! I enjoy your enthusiasm, nothing like a dog bred to work!!!

Ha! Yes, he is brilliant! Absolutely loves helping us train and is happy to plan his day around it. Em's enthusiasm is rather catching, to be honest - she runs so hard and tries her heart out you can't help but be swept up in it. It must take a LOT of impulse control for her to concentrate at training, pick up the correct retrieve etc as every time we get home she flies up to the back block to hunt and quarter HARD for 10 min before she can relax enough to come back inside.

I think I've discovered the key to Em's endless energy though.....she's an iSpringer :laugh:

iSpringer_zps6660582c.jpg

Thanks for all your support gals! :thanks:

Went out on the 3rd run - Em picked up the diversionary bird on a rather tight angle to the blind. Long story but I couldn't see much and she thought she'd picked up the correct one by the look on her face :laugh: Told her she was perfect and celebrated as per usual! Absolutely thrilled to bits with today. A few comments on how well she did particularly as she's never seen an AA run. Will post more details of the runs later but I've had a killer of a headache the last few days (nearly kept me home!) that needs some serious wipe out painkillers and an early night.

Got to check out my first trial today at the nationals it was pretty cool seeing dogs of this level compete. Everyone who I met today was lovely and they seemed pretty happy at converting me to wanting to do gundog trials :laugh:

TSD it was really nice meeting you even if it was only brief. I hope you feel better soon.

Miss Em got the "Judges Award"! He said she wasn't the highest scoring dog but it was about our relationship as a team - and that it was very evident how much I loved her and how much she loves me. Photo to come :D

Currently being driven home by Mr TSD who caught the train down. Friends helped load my tent and drove me to station as my headache is still pretty awful and I've taken a LOT of painkillers. Unfortunately I missed the last few days of competition - I suspect pushing through Thursday and Friday didn't help either.

Glad you enjoyed the day out whitka! We will convert you yet :thumbsup:

Thanks RS and Ptolomy! Was lovely to catch up with the WA folk too - what a great community!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Only 4 dogs finished - all Labs, all from Vic.

Winner was a lovely dog called Carbo, bred by our very own Lablover, who also bred the 4th placed dog, Chief. Both dogs were from the same litter and are only 3!

And for FHRP :D

Highest GSP, non-Lab and Lady handler - Di with Lani

Thanks for the run down on what was happening, the runs and the outcome and cheer.gif for your award - that is something very special.

To Lablover clap.gif 1st and 4th fantastic and well done FHRP