Tug Toy Ideas

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can use as a tug toy with my guy. He's really beginning to tug and enjoy it but I've found that he only properly tugs with flat materials. flat pieces of polar fleece or fake sheepskin last for a session and end up in pieces. The polar fleece thick tug toys or rope toys are no good as he doesn't seem to beable to bite down hard enough on them ( he is a good soft mouthed gun dog :dancingelephant:)

there are so many tugs on the market that I'm utterly confused and don't want to waste my money. Would proper sheepskin or other real furs be suitable?

Plenty of good quality tugs can be bought from K9Pro's website:

http://www.k9pro.com.au/categories.php?category=Tugs

My youngster loves the french linen ones but also loves the rolled leather ones. There is also an article there about selecting a tug. They are a little more expensive then some tugs around but they seem to last a reasonable length of time for the amount of training we do.

If you look at the home page there appears to be currently a special on them at the moment as well - 15% off.

http://www.k9pro.com.au/

Edited by ness

Plenty of good quality tugs can be bought from K9Pro's website:

http://www.k9pro.com.au/categories.php?category=Tugs

My youngster loves the french linen ones but also loves the rolled leather ones. There is also an article there about selecting a tug. They are a little more expensive then some tugs around but they seem to last a reasonable length of time for the amount of training we do.

If you look at the home page there appears to be currently a special on them at the moment as well - 15% off.

http://www.k9pro.com.au/

Are the french linen tugs soft to the touch?

Yep Tiggy the French linen ones are fairly soft and seem to soften up a lot as well with use. I have tossed mine through the wash a few times so that probably softened it up as well :laugh: .

Our first french linen one is looking a little worse for wear after tonights training session though - think Kenz has been watching one to many schutzhund dvds as I called her over to me and presented the tug and she launched herself at it :shrug: . Had me a little worried for a sec but all that seems worse for wear is the tug. She has had this one for ages and ages though and we have done a fair number of training sessions with it. Its the favorite one because I can throw it in the wash when it gets slimy and it comes out good as new.

Edited by ness

You could shape a stronger tug... with food. I've been doing it with my boy. He was already a strong tugger, but it would all disappear when food was out. So I shaped tugging like any other behaviour by clicking and treating when he pulled the tug out of my hand. I made it really easy to start with, then held on tighter as we progressed.

I would get a 2 handled rabbit fur tug from Clean Run, i buy these for me and sell to clients and find them exceptional!

Buyer beware of buying anything from Clean Run that contains animal or vegetable product because 9 times out of ten it will get confiscated by Australian Customs & you might even end up with a fine :rolleyes:

I would get a 2 handled rabbit fur tug from Clean Run, i buy these for me and sell to clients and find them exceptional!

Buyer beware of buying anything from Clean Run that contains animal or vegetable product because 9 times out of ten it will get confiscated by Australian Customs & you might even end up with a fine :cry:

I've bought fur from Clean Run without issue.

Anything tanned is usually OK.

Buyer beware of buying anything from Clean Run that contains animal or vegetable product because 9 times out of ten it will get confiscated by Australian Customs & you might even end up with a fine :cry:

Yep I've bought loads of fur toys from clean run, even things like the raccoon tail toy, without a problem :cry: .

I have big pieces of leather (just got a cheap leather hide & chopped it into big pieces) that my girl loves to tug with. When they're used to tugging on the flat leather, you can roll it up to get them used to biting on a thicker tug.

Yep I've bought loads of fur toys from clean run, even things like the raccoon tail toy, without a problem :( .

Interesting....after the phamplet customs put inside my last parcel :cry: maybe it depends on who opens your parcel.

Allison (BC4Me) doler is turning out some pretty awsome tug toys at present using real fur....not sure if this link will work as it is to a facebook page, but maybe you could PM her through DOL http://www.facebook.com/?ref=hp#!/albu...mp;id=790924700

ETA...sorry (I'm not having a very good day)...they are not made of real fur...they are called Fur Real Tugs....still worth a look & she custom makes too, I think

Edited by sheena

You could also try Aussie Agility Website. They sell lots of tugs.

http://www.aussieagility.com.au/

Hi Nikki here (Aussie Agility), more than happy to help out with any questions on tug toys. We do sell the Bunny Fur Tug - 2 Handled Tug toy mentioned here in Australia. Although like some else said you can get these from Clean Run (USA) - customs should not be a problem (but always good to check). Items likely to be ceased would be anything containing animal food products such as meat or meat fat etc, and of course prohibited animal skins from protected animals. There is a full list on the customs website. Whichever way you get it, the Bunny Fur Tug is a fairly flat tug with fur in the middle and handles on either side, so would be appropriate for a soft mouthed dog.

You could also try something like the Long and Lovely toys, these are a flat soft toy with no stuffing, so might also be good for your soft mouthed dog, but still strong in construction. They have squeakers in each of the feet and the lining is Tuffut Technology which makes it tougher for dogs to chew through. Whilst these are listed under Soft Toys I use them as a tug toy with my Aussie's who are good tuggers. But I don't let them tug directly on the head because it probably would come off :dummy: . The stitching is good but not good enough to withstand rough tugging. If the head does come off though the body of the toy is still good to use as a tug (just headless).

Good luck with your hunt!

Regards Nikki, the Aussies + 1 Sheltie