Ticks!

amy_h

THEY'RE BLEEDING EVERYWHERE!!!!

my poor dogs are literaly COVERED in the bloody things. Seems frontline is pointless as they were treated a week ago and they are genuinesly without exaggeration COVERED in them. today i looked into Splosh's ear and i pulled out as many as i could and counted at least 50 of the blood sucking mongrels.

HELP ME! i couldn't stay near them today it broke my heart i was in tears. i am resolved to gfet the malowash out in the morning to start eradicatin gthe bastards but i need a long term management strategy

I believe that Frontline stopped working for a lot of people. Try Advantix this time around, every two weeks instead of monthly. Poor Splosh! Where do you live to have such a bad tick infestation on your hands?

Edited by Dju

Longreach. we just moved from in town to a property and the grass is knee high and it's perfect condition for the buggers to breed up. I wonder, i was told of a tablet called PROBAN or something to similar effect that is given daily? does anyone know of this it was recommended to me as the best thing EVER for them but the recommender wasnt sure if you can still get it

my poor dogs are literaly COVERED in the bloody things. Seems frontline is pointless as they were treated a week ago and they are genuinesly without exaggeration COVERED in them. today i looked into Splosh's ear and i pulled out as many as i could and counted at least 50 of the blood sucking mongrels.

HELP ME! i couldn't stay near them today it broke my heart i was in tears. i am resolved to gfet the malowash out in the morning to start eradicatin gthe bastards but i need a long term management strategy

Are we talking "Brown Dog Tick" :- Western NSW, "Grass Tick" :- widespread, or "Paralysis Tick" :- Australian East Coast?

Longreach. we just moved from in town to a property and the grass is knee high and it's perfect condition for the buggers to breed up. I wonder, i was told of a tablet called PROBAN or something to similar effect that is given daily? does anyone know of this it was recommended to me as the best thing EVER for them but the recommender wasnt sure if you can still get it

Proban is probably the best to prevent paralysis ticks but it is not 100%...you still have to check daily & it must be given every 48 hours or within an hour either side. Forgetting one night & giving it the next morning renders it useless. While Proban is the best for preventing paralysis, the ticks still have to get on the dog & bite before they get a dose of poison & fall off. You need something else which will actually repell the ticks in the first place. I have been experimenting with using 25 drops rose geranium oil, 25 drops lavender oil mixed with 2 tablespoons almond oil. A few drops dabbed on the cloth collar daily & some mixed with water & sprayed onto the undercarriage daily. Seems to work, but not 100%....probably about as good as the Advantix was. I also give proban 48 hourly..& I definately wouldn't recommend only relying on the oils to do the job :laugh:

IF you use PROBAN you must ensure you do not use any other organo phospate preparation on your dogs, if you do so you will kill them. Any vet or online pet supply place should have Proban.

Try frontline spray, it does work far better than the spot on. Especially for their ears and feet.

Rinsing the dogs in permoxin may work, Preventic tick collars are also working well in some areas.

Are we talking "Brown Dog Tick" :- Western NSW, "Grass Tick" :- widespread, or "Paralysis Tick" :- Australian East Coast?

Brown dog Ticks and Seed ticks (guessing thats a colloquial term for them, they're kind of bluish colour) def not paralysis all the way out here

I've had recommendations including clear every skerrick of grass away from kennel area, (the dogs are kennelled on concrete), they have hiigh beds, i am going to malowash them in the morning to knock off what's on them now. I've been advised to malowash the kennels and salt the earth around the kennels and water it in with malowash to kill them in teh dirt. normally i would just pick them off but i reckon between splosh and bunny they'd easy have a 1000 on them. I picked 50 from one ear!

I will look into proban, is it a vet specific product?

I've had recommendations including clear every skerrick of grass away from kennel area, (the dogs are kennelled on concrete), they have hiigh beds, i am going to malowash them in the morning to knock off what's on them now. I've been advised to malowash the kennels and salt the earth around the kennels and water it in with malowash to kill them in teh dirt. normally i would just pick them off but i reckon between splosh and bunny they'd easy have a 1000 on them. I picked 50 from one ear!

I will look into proban, is it a vet specific product?

NO, many pet supplies stock it, the online pet supplies as well.

Ticks like to climb, and they like to hide behind and under things, so in the event of a tick outbreak here we find we have to spray the underneath of beds, any wooden or concete posts, kennel sides etc.

Edited by Crisovar