Dog Beaches Adelaide

*Oscar*

Hello,

Im wanting to take my Golden for a swim shortly but I dont know of any dog beaches/river/dams north of Adelaide. Can anyone recommend somewhere?

If anyone has any hints of good ways to introduce him to the water would be greatly appreciated as well.

I used to camp at thompsons beach all the time as a kid dont know how I didnt think of that one.

Semaphore would be a great day out for the family as well as the pooch.

Does anyone know of any others that are off leash or even off leash between certain hours?

Ill def give the other 2 a go at some point this summer :mad

All Adelaide metro beaches are off lead before 10am and after 8pm during daylight savings. Unless things have recently changed?

Personally I like going to Largs of an evening. It is not such a popular beach for swimmers and families and is a nice wide beach.Mornings tere are often para sailers there and those go kart type things being pulled along by kites so it isn't so good for free running the dogs.

As for how to introduce to water, I would wade in the water with him on lead first and see how he goes. If he doesn't freak out and try to back away, take the lead off and be prepared to get wet. I usually go out to just over knee deep and walk along out there, it encourages the dogs to stay in the water with me. Otherwise mine will only go in to fetch something. If I walk in the water so they are at swimming depth they will happily stay out there as long as I do.

Semaphore is our fav beach. We go before 10 and most of the people and their dogs are so friendly. :thumbsup:

Sorry I cannot help you with any other swimming suggestions but I did want to bump this thread in case anyone had any other ideas.

Does anyone know of any other decent dog walking places in the north with or without water?

Are there any safe fenced areas where dogs can RUN freely?

Golden Grove has some fantastic walking trails but my retriever finds the rabbit scent too overwhelming. :(

Mawson Lakes is a nice walk but no swimming is allowed.

If anyone has any hints of good ways to introduce him to the water would be greatly appreciated as well.

Pick a day when the weather is calm and possibly low tide when there are pools or no waves. Make it a game and don't force Oscar into the water and he'll probably take to it like a duck :thumbsup:

Most metropolitan beaches have leash laws during daylight saving. Dogs must be leashed between 10am and 8pm and effective control at other times.

Good luck with the swimming lessons :(

• 3 weeks later...
All Adelaide metro beaches are off lead before 10am and after 8pm during daylight savings. Unless things have recently changed?

As for how to introduce to water, I would wade in the water with him on lead first and see how he goes. If he doesn't freak out and try to back away, take the lead off and be prepared to get wet. I usually go out to just over knee deep and walk along out there, it encourages the dogs to stay in the water with me. Otherwise mine will only go in to fetch something. If I walk in the water so they are at swimming depth they will happily stay out there as long as I do.

Yep - between 8pm and 10am it is off lead - I keep getting cranky that they extend daylight savings. I need to walk Rommy at low tide at my nearby beach. Low tide is often around 12noon or 1pm and there isn't a beach at high tide.

O'Sullivan's beach down south is really nice and off lead all the time. (no help for you)

We used to go to a park just off Grenfell St, near corner of golden Grove Rd (heading towards Ladywood Drv). There was a river/lake and a little waterfall. I avent been there for a while, but its nice for a walk with a bit of water. Not surer whether its leash off or not. There used to be a playground my brothers would play on for ages too, it had a little train.

Not sure if thats near you, but I will check it out myself once my lil man has his last vaccine!