Help For A Dumbo!

pebbles

I had a quick look at The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1979, Section 7, which deals with the conveyancing of animals and couldn't find anything that specifically listed leaving an animal in an un-occupied vehicle as an offence.

However there is this:

PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS ACT 1979 - SECT 7

Carriage and conveyance of animals

7 Carriage and conveyance of animals

(1) A person shall not:

(a) carry or convey an animal, or

(b) where the person is a person in charge of an animal-authorise the carriage or conveyance of the animal,

in a manner which unreasonably, unnecessarily or unjustifiably inflicts pain upon the animal.

Maximum penalty: 250 penalty units in the case of a corporation and 50 penalty units or imprisonment for 6 months, or both, in the case of an individual.

So probably they would get you on the general concept of if the dog suffered from being left in the car, i.e. heat stroke, etc.

Maybe someone else will have a better answer. In general most offences against animals will be in POCTA.

Call your local police station and ask them under what law it is an offence.

I know it is an offence in SA as a police officer charged a guy 3 weeks ago for leaving a small dog in a hot car when I was at the pub.

The officer tore strips off the bloke before he gave him a fine.

Found this statement in an newspaper story

"If a dog is left in a car and suffers distress, owners can be charged by the RSPCA with breaching their duty of care which brings a maximum fine of $30,000 or six months’ jail, or animal cruelty with a maximum fine of $100,000 or two years’ jail."

Hope that helps............

This specific to NSW laws. I was over the border from Victoria last evening and parked in the designated car park for the Club where there is a security man. Got there about 7pm. weather cool, parked under a tree, dogs in their crates, bedding and water containers. Car windows were down with those security fold out trellis things. Dogs were given a good walk when I got there. About 8pm there's a call over the PA for my car number. Go out and there's been complaints about the dogs left in the car. Security says I have to leave or he will call the RSPCA. Now I'm quite willing to take them on but want to know if there is any absolute law about leaving dogs in the car in NSW. If there's only the cruelty aspect then they haven't a leg to stand on! Actually the security guy did say I could tie them to the bumper and that would be fine - how bloody stupid :eek:

Hell, I've had dogs for years, travelled Aussie with them and never had a problem with them, health wise. I even shop at midnight if the weather is too hot during the day.

nup.... he is wrong.

As long as dogs have water, bedding, air and are not in a hot car they are ok.

RSPCA will tell them to take a hike..... hopefully.

My dogs are often left in the car with the windows down and water in the car and I am in NSW.

At the pub in SA the other week, when the police came to the twit who had his dog in the full sun in a sealed car with no water, he was told by the police that next time leave a window down and water in the car.

I would leave my mobile number in the window as well.