Cars Too High For Dogs To Jump Into

dee lee

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Til then I think I will try Mita and Greytmate's suggestions. Dont know why I didnt think of doing that already! :thumbsup:

Deelee, I used the towel under the tum, getting a big, fat, senior sheltie up 4 stairs. But you still have to lift, even enough to get the front paws over the edge.

Funny, but I use Greytmate's idea for helping the tibbies into the back seat area of the Mazda. We call it The Wheelbarrow! And I didn't think of doing that for the Goldie. So it's a 'Doh!' from me, too.

Just curious what sort of car it is? The reason I ask is that we had the same problem getting one of our dogs in the back of the Outback. However, we found out it wasn't that she couldn't jump in, but WOULDN'T jump in, as from her height, it looked like she didn't have enough headroom - just mentioning it on the remote chance it might help.

Just curious what sort of car it is? The reason I ask is that we had the same problem getting one of our dogs in the back of the Outback. However, we found out it wasn't that she couldn't jump in, but WOULDN'T jump in, as from her height, it looked like she didn't have enough headroom - just mentioning it on the remote chance it might help.

Its a Renault Koleos.

I'm pretty certain its just too high for her, there's plenty of headroom. :thumbsup:

If she were a more agile breed, say like JulesP's Border Collies, she still would have to leap into the air to get up.

All my Goldies have not had any bother jumping into the back of our vehicles. I have had 4WD dual cabs and they have very high tailgates. You do need to teach your dog to get in. All of mine are taught firstly "paws up" which basicly means put your front paws on the tailgate or edge of rear compartment. I would then just bend my knees and help them up by lifting the rear end. Eventually they all got so they jump in the back on command. I always rewarded the dogs for their actions. Nowadays it is a treat just to be put into the car.

Getting out is what I would be more concerned about. I lift mine out rather than having them jump, to save stress on joints.

Unless your dog is very old, (in which case I wouldn't ask any dog to jump in or out of a car), I would say they are being lazy and temperamental. It is a Goldies right remember to be obstinate. :)

How high is it into the car? It doesn't look that high. Can she really not jump that high?

Not criticising, just surprised. I've seen goldies do agility etc before, they seemed to be able to jump OK.

The pic is deceptive, it is really quite high- if she had her paws on it she'd be almost standing up, IYKWIM.

I tried again today, thinking maybe I'd been a bit too lenient on her. But am still convinced its a big ask of my, not-a-great-contender-for-agility :) , goldie.

It doesnt help that she dislikes cars so is not keen to get in anyway.

Edited by ✽deelee

Our dogs stand and wait while we lift up their front feet and put them in the car, and then pick up their back half and push the rest of them in.

This is what I do for the Bubster as well!

I tried that with Dougal but he yelped. He does have hip dysplasia though so I wondered if it was just uncomfortable for him.

Also now he has had both cruciates done, he has no power in the back end or his legs so struggles even to get on the sofa.

Edited by Golden Rules

dee, I wonder if you put Honey's dinner on the tailgate if she would jump up? :)

Oh GR, I have a confession...

she is a broked Goldie... :eek:

One rainy day I left her in the back of our old car with a pigs ear, went into a shop, came out and THE EAR HAD NOT BEEN TOUCHED!!!! :eek::mad :mad

She also will not take ANY treats from anyone but my family! :laugh:

I know... I am so ashamed.... :eek:

How high is it into the car? It doesn't look that high. Can she really not jump that high?

Not criticising, just surprised. I've seen goldies do agility etc before, they seemed to be able to jump OK.

The pic is deceptive, it is really quite high- if she had her paws on it she'd be almost standing up, IYKWIM.

I tried again today, thinking maybe I'd been a bit too lenient on her. But am still convinced its a big ask of my, not-a-great-contender-for-agility :) , goldie.

It doesnt help that she dislikes cars so is not keen to get in anyway.

Oh that makes a bit more sense then, it looked knee high in the photo! :eek:

No no no!! No need to be ashamed! Pigs ears are just not every dogs favourite treat! :)

It's great that Honey won't take food from anyone else (oh the stories I could tell you about Dougal :mad ) but maybe try her with some cheese or polony :laugh: Or better still, a tin of catfood! :eek:

Just for the record, I left my dogs with pigs trotters one day and off I went to work ..... came home and the pigs trotters weren't touched! :mad

No no no!! No need to be ashamed! Pigs ears are just not every dogs favourite treat! :)

It's great that Honey won't take food from anyone else (oh the stories I could tell you about Dougal :cheer: ) but maybe try her with some cheese or polony :worship: Or better still, a tin of catfood! :)

Just for the record, I left my dogs with pigs trotters one day and off I went to work ..... came home and the pigs trotters weren't touched! :birthday:

Yeah, I'm actually pretty happy that she is not such a pushover re food (though she normally loves the pigs ears). :thumbsup:

But it does get tricky when I'm trying to use food to help desensitize her & bribe her.

However- I'm going to pull out the big guns & try BBQ chicken tomorrow. :thanks:

if that doesn't work, nothing will!

We get payed out for it, but Orbit has a 'special stool' to help him get in the car. My car isn't that big, but the seats in the back are quite high and the step things are high for him to be lifting his weight on one leg.

So I just use this crate with a towel on it and it means he can leap up. Without it, he has to do an awkward climb which often needs assistance :)

30751_389333743510_610633510_4104084_4027101_n.jpg

With a young dog that size,I would try teaching her to jump first. Try to set up some obstacles that she can learn to jump onto with increasing height. Start low and gradually work up to slightly higher than the car tailgate over a few weeks. Use her favourite food treat to entice her to jump and reward her for doing so and make sure she is on a non-slip surface to both take off and land. Some dogs just jump naturally but others actually have to be taught, step by step and let their muscles build up until they are confident.

In the mean time teach her "paws up" onto the tailgate and then lift her rear in.

Edited by dancinbcs