Tis The Season For A Competition

poodlefan

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yay the spanish tutoring really did pay off!

name the breeds based on the excerpts from the ANKC standards...

NO GOOGLING - it's way too easy as it will come up with the exact breed... challenge yourselves!

Breed 1

The function of the xxxxxx is to guide and guard the herd, the task for which he shows exemplary disposition thanks to his vigilance, his concentration and psychological balance.

Breed 2

A natural ability to hunt. Normally hunted on horse, but slower in pace than the Foxhound enabling him to be followed on foot.

Breed 3

The dog stands lower at the shoulders than the loin. When walking or trotting has a characteristic ambling or pacing movement. His bark should be loud with a peculiar "pot-casse" ring in it.

Breed 4

Self assured, calm, even tempered with high resistance to provocation. Watchful and alert without being noisy. Very strongly developed link to his family. Reserved towards strangers without being aggressive. No hunting instinct

breed 5

Must be racy, balanced and full of quality. In conformation, proportionate.

more clues from the standards

Breed 1

Set on third part of the rump, thick and strong at its root, tapering towards its extremity. Covered with goat-like hair slightly wavy. Its length is 60 to 65% of the height at the withers and reaches the hock easily when the dog is standing normally; though it is preferable it should be shorter. At rest the tail is carried “sabre” fashion i.e. drooping in its first third part, then slightly curved in its last third part. In action the dog wags his tail like a flag.

Breed 3

Skull capacious and rather squarely formed, giving plenty of room for brain power. The parts over the eyes should be well arched and the whole well-covered with hair. Jaw fairly long, strong, square and truncated; the stop should be defined to avoid a Deerhound face. Nose always black, large and capacious.

Breed 4

Balanced, well constructed, medium sized dog of Spitz type with prick ears and coat in varied colours. Length of coat should be such as to still reveal the body proportions. Medium bone.

Important proportions , Length of back slightly longer than height at withers. The ratio of length of muzzle and length of skull is almost equal.

Breed 5

Most handsome and refined in looks, tremendously active with untiring readiness to range and hunt under any conditions. Demonstrably affectionate.

Which breed ANKC breed is born plated and eventually grows into schwarzschimmel, hellschimmel or dunkelschimmel markings? And super awesome extra bonus points if you can define schwarzchimmel, hellschimmel and dunkelschimmel without google! ;)

You're speaking jibberish :swear:

:rofl:

Poodlefan come back and save me from looking like a raving lunatic! :o

Name the Irish terrorist who used to show his kerry blue while being hunted by the British.

:) That is so badass.... stopping to show his dog :laugh:

:rofl::rofl::doh:

for the other question, I'm guessing some sort of german dog maybe shnauzers :eek:but aren't poodles french, who knows what breeds Poodlefan has (apart from I"m guessing poodles :rofl: )

BITE YOUR TONGUE :eek: Poodles are NOT French - either German or Russian, but NOT French

Oogh, look Q. Vic had a parrot, VERY quiet and good natured sight hounds, and a Cavalier.

"Famous" means someone other than you mother knows who you are.

WTF is

Hwang Woo-suk
Poodlefan? Sounds llike something on a Chinese restaurant menu?

And it was Moe

where's my cigar?

No cigar. :cry:

The real start of the breed in the US started with the first Ghazni imports in 1931, when Zeppo Marx and his wife brought from England a bitch, Asra of Ghazni, and a dog, Westmill Omar.

Read more: http://www.articlesbase.com/pets-articles/...l#ixzz18tNhXgKq

Under Creative Commons License: Attribution

Did anyone answer this? I think it might have been Harpo

yay stonebridge!!

ok final clues for the remaining breeds...

Breed 4

All over the body is a thick undercoat and medium length, loosely lying, guard hairs. Short coat on muzzle, face, ears and front of legs. Tail, back of front legs, (feathering) and hind legs (breeches) covered with long hair. Coat on neck only slightly longer than on body, not forming a mane.

Colour: All colours and colour combinations are permitted with the exception of pure white, white patches or liver colour.

breed 5

Head long and lean, not narrow or snipy, not coarse at the ears. Skull oval (from ear to ear) having plenty of brain room and well-defined occipital protuberance. From occiput to stop and from stop to tip of nose to be parallel and of equal length, brows raised showing stop. Muzzle moderately deep, fairly square at end. Jaws of nearly equal length, flews not pendulous, nostrils wide. Colour of nose dark mahogany, dark walnut or black.

right again Stonebridge

so breed 1 was a Bergamasco - which stonebridge guessed

Breed 2 was a Harrier guessced by Paptacular

Breed 3 an OES guessed by Tessiestracey

Breed 5 an Irish Setter - Stonebridge

only breed 4 left... i hope someone gets it soon cos i'm going home

Here is most of the standard for breed 4...

General Appearance: Balanced, well constructed, medium sized dog of Spitz type with prick ears and coat in varied colours. Length of coat should be such as to still reveal the body proportions. Medium bone.

Important proportions , Length of back slightly longer than height at withers. The ratio of length of muzzle and length of skull is almost equal.

Temperament: Self assured, calm, even tempered with high resistance to provocation. Watchful and alert without being noisy. Very strongly developed link to his family. Reserved towards strangers without being aggressive. No hunting instinct. For the full development of these qualities, the XXXXXXX needs constant, close domestic contact with his family and understanding yet consistent training.

Head And Skull: General - Balanced, not too broad skull. Shape of head, seen from both above and sideways, is wedge-shaped. Planes of the bridge of nose and the skull are parallel.

Cranial region:

Flat forehead with distinct frontal furrow. Well defined occiput.

Stop: Barely defined.

Facial region:

Nose: Medium size, nose leather with black pigmentation.

Muzzle: Neither too coarse nor too pointed. Tapering towards the nose. Straight bridge of nose and lower jaw bone.

Lips: Edges of lips tight with black pigmentation.

Jaws: Strong; broad arch to lower jaw.

Cheeks: Barely pronounced.

Eyes: Dark, medium size, not too deep set nor protruding. Lid aperture slightly slanting. Eye-rims with black pigmentation and tight fitting.

Ears: Set apart by about the width of the base of an ear. Medium size and triangular. Prick ears with tips slightly rounded. Tips of ears and centre of stop should form a nearly equilateral triangle.

Mouth: Strong, complete set of teeth (42 teeth conforming to usual tooth formation). Bite either scissor or pincer. Upper incisors either fit closely over lower incisors or meet. Pre-molars and molars set in one line without gaps. All teeth must be in vertical position to jaw.

Neck: Of medium length, in balance with general appearance. Well muscled. Skin on throat tight fitting. Flowing transition to body.

Forequarters: General , Seen from front, straight and parallel in position. Seen from side, moderately angulated. Upper arm and forearm of almost equal length.

Shoulders: Well muscled. Slightly sloping.

Upper arm: Medium length, well muscled.

Elbows: Close to chest.

Forearm: Medium length, well muscled.

Pastern joint: Strong.

Pastern: Medium length, seen from front quite straight, seen from side inclined slightly forward.

Body: General , Strong, not too short in back.

Withers: Pronounced.

Back: Firm and straight. Very well muscled.

Loin: Of good length and width, very well muscled.

Rump: Straight, broad and strong.

Chest: Reaching to the elbows with oval shaped rib cage. Forechest well developed without being too pronounced. Sternum long, reaching well back.

Lower line: Slight tuck up.

Hindquarters: General: Seen from behind straight and parallel. Seen from the side with moderate angulation. Upper and lower thigh of almost equal length.

Pelvis: Slightly sloping.

Stifles: Stable, not too straight [moderately angulated].

Lower thigh: Medium length, well muscled.

Hock-joint: Not set too low, stable, turning neither in nor out.

Hock (Metatarsus): Good length and breadth, vertical when seen from side.

Feet: Oval; tight, moderately arched toes. Strong nails with dark pigmentation. Firm, well cushioned, black pigmented pads. Thick hair between pads.

Tail: Straight set on, round and firm, of good thickness, tapering towards the tip. Bushy hair. Carried lying forward over back or bent slightly sideways or rolled up. When hanging down, reaching to the hocks.

Gait/Movement: Ground covering with plenty of drive and good reach.

Looks like we need to dust this one off for today.

I'll start. Name a three varieties of dog that come in three separate sizes (each a separate breed)

I can think of two certainties and a couple of arguable cases.. that should liven things up!!

Daschund (oh wait, that's only 2 sizes)

Poodles

Scnauzers

Xolos (have 3 sizes, not sure if they're all separate breeds though)

Ooh forgot completely about Xolos. I was thinking perhaps the German Spitzs and the "Pinschers" might be two others.

Your go Paptacular!!

Kerry Blue Terriers are born black. Don't know a second breed though.

I think there's another that silvers out - maybe Schnauzers?? Silver poodles are born black.

Someone told me ACDs are born white but I've never seen ACD baby puppies so I don't know :thumbsup:

PF, yes they are born white.

OSF, you forgot one: Australian Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog.

S

Slight segue but wheaten terriers are born various shades of sable and go through a number of coat changes from red to white before going wheaten.