How Long Do You Wait To Know That A Food Change Isn't Working?

megan_

My two are normally fed Nutro, but our local PetStock was out of stock last week, so I got some EP Holistic (the salmon variety that has been out of stock for ages).

My boy was fed EP Holistic until he was about 18 months and did really well on it - nice poos etc. We then changed to Nutro and I got Lucy and again, they both do really well on it.

I have been feeding the new EP Holistic since Sunday but their poos are still soft and oh-so-smelly.

I know that this can happen when you change diet. How long should I persist before I give up on the EP and go back to Nutro?

I had this problem when I tried to feed Artemis. I persevered for weeks, but things didn't improve and in the end the dogs started to lose weight and their coats looked awful.

If they went well on Nutro I'd take the EP back (they should give you a refund) and buy some more Nutro.

You could try Black Hawk, I'm currently changing from Nutro to Black Hawk with no problems. And it's cheaper :)

My boy did awful on EP holistic,coat was crap & loose stools.I only stuck with it through am odd growth stage because it was doing the job but couldn't wait to be able to change.

I did about 3 months when all was settled & swapped back to my normal diet & his coat is super & nice poop

I'm surprised a pet shop will give a refund on an open bag of food. What is the shop supposed to do with it? It isn't their fault or the products fault.

how quickly did you make the change onto the new food? Some dogs need as much as 2 weeks to slowly change over, anything less and it can take them awhile for the stomach to get used to the new food.

Becks, it's a manufacturers guarantee, not goodwill by the store. Most (if not all) of the super premium brands here will offer a full refund if you return the bag to the store it was purchased from, if your dog doesn't like it or it proves unsuitable.

The store will simply return it to their supplier and be refunded.

With our allergic boy we give new feeds 8 weeks.

I don't think I can handle the poos that long!

The odd thing is that my boy used to do so well on EP Holistic, but I think they've changed the formula.

I think you have to go with what your gut says.

I think people can swap and change too often without giving enough time though, but in the end they're your dogs and you know whats best.

I know my dog can take 8 weeks to give me a good look in at what is happening with a feed change.

PS offer a palatability guarantee on all their premium foods. Which means you can take the bag back as long as a whole bunch of it hasn't been eaten. The suppliers will then take the open bag back and swap it for a new one, or give a credit and the bag will be given to a rescue or shelter.

I was told that EP did change their formula (by a rep) when I was still working at a PS and Black Hawk is probably the most similar food you can buy in Aus. I believe there is a new food in the US that uses the old EP formula. Sucks. My Bambi girl would only eat the EPH fishy one and she started getting sick off it again at the end :) . I tried Black Hawk and was VERY happy with it - but Tucky is bomb proof and will eat anything. He's currently on Advance.

Highly recommend Nutro tho :vomit: It's a great food!

EP has been having such awful supply issues over the last couple of years I cannot understand why anyone would be sticking with it. It sucks because it really is a very good food. JMHO.