Qld Dog Ownership Laws

~Anne~

are you thinking of moving to QLD Anne?

Life moves in mysterious ways Eridor.....

I for one would welcome nationwide laws instead of state based. In this day and age, with the ease of moving and relocating, people move a lot and move far greater distances.

Nation wide laws or regulations would certainly make life easier for all, at least we would know where we all stood in that regard but they need to be fair laws or regulations for all concerned. A blanket 3 or 4 dog policy would certainly make life very hard for pure breed breeders who do the right thing.

Also I believe some councils also include any live dog being included in the number you are allowed to have ie day old puppies, that makes life very hard if you are only allowed 8 dogs and one of your bitches whelps a litter of 8 or more or even less depending on the other dogs on the property.

Nation wide laws or regulations would certainly make life easier for all, at least we would know where we all stood in that regard but they need to be fair laws or regulations for all concerned. A blanket 3 or 4 dog policy would certainly make life very hard for pure breed breeders who do the right thing.

Also I believe some councils also include any live dog being included in the number you are allowed to have ie day old puppies, that makes life very hard if you are only allowed 8 dogs and one of your bitches whelps a litter of 8 or more or even less depending on the other dogs on the property.

yep

It is because of the differing council laws that we now have some overriding state laws, and we also have model laws. But parochialism and politics will usually win out over common sense.

There are areas in QLD where you can safely buy property and know you can have extra dogs. You can automatically have four dogs if you have half an acre in Ipswich. You can have as many dogs as you put on your permit if you live in Churchable.

But don't expect to be allowed to keep a lot of dogs around the north side of Brisbane, suburban areas or the Sunshine or Gold Coast.

Where land is expensive, many people don't want to live anywhere near dog breeders. The council generally won't grant kennel licences. This amalgamation has led to new licences being given, that doesn't mean that council wants any dog breeding in its city.

I don't think the council should discriminate on dog size but was just wondering what they based their decision on when imho bigger dogs would be better off with more room unless they get out a lot.

The size of the dog has nothing to do with the exercise it needs at all. In fact the lazier dogs are often the biggest dogs.

Also, I would hate for council to start assessing property based on what the dog might be "better off with." The amount of exercise I give my dog is none of the council's business at all. We have guidelines the council need to follow, they don't need extra powers of discretion based on myths.

Yes I am an exhibitor, and no I haven't attended our local shows in the last few months as 1) I have an injury which is precluding me from attending many shows with the possibility of major surgery in the N.Y. 2) my dog who I am currently showing has ruptured his cruciate ligament 3) I was away at the time the meetings were held at the end of September. :rofl:

I WAS NOT ACCUSING YOU OF TELLING LIES I was merely replying to Tatzelwurm's post in which he/she stated that according to his/her buddy who works for the Council that the decision is based on where your land is, proximity of neighbours, fencing and that runs were not mandatory.

I am sorry, I thought you were referring to my post because you asked about the m2 I listed. The dogs in both cases are medium sized.

Greymate, Sunshine coast councill will allow as many dogs as you pay permit fees for. Permit fees are quite high. You must have fencing. If the neighbours complain, you may have a problem. They said they were very dog friendly, and encouraged dog owners to do the right thing. there are also more off leash areas than many other places.

Where is "Churchable"?

Edited by Silversails

I would agree to uniform rules if they were based on NSW law. But the problem is that we would end up with very restrictive laws.

I live in an inner city of Sydney and we are allowed as many dogs as we can manage...... as long as they are not a problem to neighbours.

A single bored dog can be a bigger noise problem than 7 Great Dane who sleep all day together.

Same with cleaning up....... it depends on your standards not the number of dogs.

Every park is off the leash in my Council area and we have very few issues.

Greytmate ,I don't equate the amount of room on my property with exercise needs or how lazy/active the dog is and agree it is none of the Council's business how much you exercise your dog. Having owned large breeds and now medium sized dogs it is my belief (and only my belief) that my bigger dogs were "better off" with more space day to day.Not sure how this is a myth. Other people may well have a different experience,I wasn't advocating anyone using my personal opinion as a basis for council assessments; and really wasn't suggesting that the council should have anymore power or different power,the council here is quite powerful enough when it comes to pet ownership. Apologies if it came across that way.