Show Question

Puggz

Hi

Im new here so im very sorry if this is in the wrong spot. ( please tell me if it is)

Im looking at getting a Black pug puppy to show, does anyone know if they can they have a bit of white on there chest?

The breeders assures me that its ok....But wanted to check

:mad Black Pugs are hard to win with due to the fact alot of judges are a little bias and prefer the fawn....

I have owned, bred & showed both and I love the blacks, I do not like any white on them......

JMO

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Why do judges prefer fawn is it because blacks are hard to judge like ReadySetGo said?

I would of thought colour didn't matter so much... they are still pugs at the end of the day :eek:

Do you think it's bias ? or that some judges find them more difficult to judge ?
:mad Black Pugs are hard to win with due to the fact alot of judges are a little bias and prefer the fawn....

I have owned, bred & showed both and I love the blacks, I do not like any white on them......

JMO

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Why do judges prefer fawn is it because blacks are hard to judge like ReadySetGo said?

I would of thought colour didn't matter so much... they are still pugs at the end of the day :eek:

I think its a combonation of the two.

I think the quality of blacks in australia is lower than the quality of fawns and I also think alot of judges find them hard to judge, good judges for black pugs are hard to find!!!

I started with a black of reasonable quality (not the best but better than alot of the fawns she was beaten by) and it can be quite disapointing!

Do you think it's bias ? or that some judges find them more difficult to judge ?

Like Nevafollo said maybe a combo, but alot of judges can see what is looking at them with a Fawn where a black may take a little more time, I have had a judge (overseas judge) tell me he could not judge black one's only Fawn's.........go figure.....

Yes they are all Pug's and alot of breeders have some very good black , which has been a project over many years, but it seems most judges prefer Fawn, I have also been told the Fawn's have more expression etc etc............ :eek:

If I was starting out I would start with a Fawn for showing (JMO) like Nevofollo said it can be very disapointing.....

I think it is a genetic thing that they will have a few white hairs somewhere on their body....if not on their chest then a few white hairs will be found right down in the groin where you cant really see them. I too prefer not white on my Blacks, and what may start out as a thin line will fade and only be a little row of single white hairs when older. I personally would not show or breed with a Black that had a large white mark on its chest.

Puggz, how big is the white on the puggy you are looking at to buy? :eek:

If the white spot on a baby puppy is bigger than the bed of your smallest fingernail, then it will always have some white there, and it is not preferred. Smaller than that and it may well disappear.

I don't like white on my blacks. I also don't like white chest spots on fawns either, but I see a fair few around... :eek:

I think it is a genetic thing that they will have a few white hairs somewhere on their body....if not on their chest then a few white hairs will be found right down in the groin where you cant really see them. I too prefer not white on my Blacks, and what may start out as a thin line will fade and only be a little row of single white hairs when older. I personally would not show or breed with a Black that had a large white mark on its chest.

Puggz, how big is the white on the puggy you are looking at to buy? :rofl:

Its about the size of a 10 cent piece?

:rofl: If that is the case Puggz I would doubt it will go, in fact I would say it will get bigger as the puppy grows......

I would think long and hard before you go ahead with starting with a black (JMO)

They are delightful to have and live with and they will keep you laughing but for show it is very hard....

10 cent piece sized spot on a baby is far too big for the show ring IMO, sorry. Personally, I would call that a mismark and would be looking for a pet home for any puppy I bred with a white chest mark of that size. Others may differ, but most judges wouldn't. Many of them find judging blacks harder work than judging fawns, but they can spot a mismark without trouble!! :laugh:

There are some nice blacks about, but it is hard work to educate the judges LOL!

The pick pup in my 1st pug litter was a black boy with a small amount of white on his chest - was only small and I really though it would have disappeared but one year on it is bigger than I expected. He has a wonderful life as a pet.

From this:

10864_105849472761429_100000091313049_162174_935824_n.jpg

24188_109806175699092_100000091313049_259269_6113031_n.jpg

to this:

151016_176395289040180_100000091313049_644096_261705_n.jpg

not the best ears - but the white patch is still there.

eta: looking at the pics all together again it is not that bad but I would have preferred no white at all.

Edited by Andisa

I agree with all posts, I would definately reconsider a black especially a black with a white chest as it is really hard to do well in the show ring with a black. My daughters pug is a blue black, beautiful short shiney blue black coat, nice compact bitch, lovely expression, triple twist to her tail, great ears however she has always been small and when she went out in the ring with the fawns she always looked different, even though she was probably more to the standard, a lot of the pugs in the ring these day are rather big.

Showing a pug can be difficult at the best of times so if I was you I would look around for an exceptionally nice fawn and if the breeder is happy for you to do so try and get pick of the litter, generally bitches can be hard to come by but if you are happy to take a boy you can usually get yourself a realy nice dog to show.

The pick pup in my 1st pug litter was a black boy with a small amount of white on his chest - was only small and I really though it would have disappeared but one year on it is bigger than I expected. He has a wonderful life as a pet.

From this:

10864_105849472761429_100000091313049_162174_935824_n.jpg

24188_109806175699092_100000091313049_259269_6113031_n.jpg

to this:

151016_176395289040180_100000091313049_644096_261705_n.jpg

not the best ears - but the white patch is still there.

eta: looking at the pics all together again it is not that bad but I would have preferred no white at all.

Oh he is sooo cute!!... But yes i see what everyone means :D Which is very sad as i really wanted a black.... But thinking about it now maybe i shouldn't.

I have a female fawn now her first show is in Jan :) ( we will see how she go's as she is small) :mad I think im going to wait and later on get a another fawn...

Thanks Everyone for your help :eek: