What Do U Feed Your Dogs?

zizzi

So do you feed vegies and rice as well as the raw meat? Or what else "recipe"

Type thing do u stick to? I'm interested in the raw diets. I don't feed cooked bones ever but my brother frequently gives them to his.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious about the cholesterol LM. Monte, my epileptic, was included in a study done by Sydney University on epilepsy. They noted his cholesterol was high in his blood tests (among other notes) but his Neurologist told me that dogs were not affected by cholseterol like humans were and it was not a concern at all. :laugh:

I'm still confused by it as well. I'm not sure what the issue was...but followed my vet's advice to reduce Molly's weight which should also lead to a reduction in her cholesterol level (which seems to have worked).

I think I need to do more research on this...at the time I was just trying to absorb the fact that Molly was a bit heavier than she should be and that a lower-fat diet was important. Being such a small thing, my vet was concerned that she was half a kilo heavier than she should have been.

Hmmm, will definitely look into this further. :)

So do you feed vegies and rice as well as the raw meat? Or what else "recipe"

Type thing do u stick to? I'm interested in the raw diets. I don't feed cooked bones ever but my brother frequently gives them to his.

I don't feed rice at all because IMO it is a filler and not something my dogs need in their diet (I don't tend to feed any grains at all).

I feed a mixture of the Canine Country BARF rolls;

http://www.caninecountry.com.au/

And raw meaty bones, lots of muscle meat like heart, tinned sardines and mackeral, raw eggs, natural yoghurt, vegies, fruit etc. Though not all in the same meal obviously - I aim for a balanced diet over the course of the week rather than each day. So one day they may have RMBs, one day they may have heart, the next day a BARF patty - which is a complete meal - etc.

Edited by huski

My little one gets some Iams puppy kibble in the morning, sometimes with some egg, yogurt or sardines mixed thru it.

Eventually we plan to take her off dry food almost completely but still want her to "like" it for when we go for weekends away etc where it might not be as practical to have raw food.

In the evening she gets some barf and depending on her activity levels during the day, a chicken neck or wing or lambs neck chop (if thats what its called).

As she has also been teething (which I think is finished now or at least almost finished), shes been getting a frozen carrot or a frozen chicken neck in an ice block for lunch.

For her daily training, I use beef or lamb liver or heart or brain (which I lightly boil myself to make for easier cutting and handling but its still mostly raw).

And of course she gets a little people food too (all dog friendly of course). We eat dinner rather late....usually around 9:30 or so and although she has her dinner around 6pm, we give her a little people food after we have finished eating as suggested by trainers and behavioural therapists.

Am told it helps her understand we are her pack leaders and I must admit, since we started this practice, she leaves us alone while eating as she knows when we are done she will get some (usually some peas or beans, pumpkin and maybe some carved roast meat or BBQ'd chicken or something, depending what we eat for dinner that night, but only a very small portion)

As she is a show dog....and a beagle (who will eat and eat and eat), we watch her weight and food intake carefully.

So can someone who does feed a totally raw diet and different food each day write me like a basic shopping list you would have for the week? I'm sorry if I'm being annoying I'm just learning so much and interested in changing my dogs to raw food

I feed a mix of mostly raw, some homecooked/leftovers (I work in a restaurant - its conveniant) and a small amount of decent quality kibble. They're all healthy and happy. I like that it keep them versatile in what they can eat, if they need to have kibbl;e for a couple of days they arn't going to have any adverse effects.

Edited by busterlove

So can someone who does feed a totally raw diet and different food each day write me like a basic shopping list you would have for the week? I'm sorry if I'm being annoying I'm just learning so much and interested in changing my dogs to raw food

It's not quite that simple. Can I suggest you read a few books before embarking on a raw diet?

You can buy ready-made foods such as BARF patties by a number of manufacturers. You can add raw meaty bones to the patties to make a complete meal and you can use the patties alone as a meal. However, raw meaty bones are a huge health bonus of feeding raw and you need to get the balance right between bones and the other components of raw feeding.

Also search the nutrition forum as there is excellent info there. But read a few books to get an idea of types of foods and other ingredients and how much to feed your dog and what you should supplement.

Many of us started off with Dr Ian Billinghurst; his book entitled "The BARF Diet" is an excellent first look at the world of raw feeding. You can also look at anything by Tom Lonsdale for an idea of why raw meaty bones are so important and a look at the prey model of raw feeding.

There are as many opinions as there are experts. Be guided by your own abilities to source and prepare raw meals and how much you're comfortable doing yourself and what you'd prefer to buy which is 'ready to eat'. It's not enough to throw a chicken carcass to your dog twice a day! :)

Thankyou lillys mum and I have to laugh because I just fed them their daily hills dinner and a few chicken carcass each!

:laugh:

Honestly, anything you can do to get your dogs off a highly processed diet is a good thing as long as you approach it sensibly. Because there are lots of approaches and different philosophies, it can be confusing. Some people are adament that their chosen method is the only one which works...and that shows their passion. Nothing wrong with that as long as the dog isn't harmed.

You'll find we who feed raw/non commerical can be passionate...I certainly am! My eyes were opened to the potential for long-term health problems caused by processed foods as soon as I stopped feeding them to my dogs at the time.

I've tried Molly on raw and she does fine on it BUT she does somewhat better on Royal Canin. With her being epileptic I just do what's best for her now and if that's a processed diet with the occasional meaty bone and other treats (offal that she rarely eats!) then that's what we do. She's my heart dog and I hope for her to live a very long life despite her epilepsy...she's just turned 7 so I hope to have her around until she's about 16 which is possible.

Get reading, ask questions, keep an open mind. They are the things which helped me when I started looking into a viable alternative to commercially made foods. :laugh:

My frenchie is on a raw diet, lamb mince, smashed chicken necks, tuna, with yoghurt, egg, cheese, vegies etc. Frenchies are also partial to fruit, and I give him chopped apple and banana occasionally. A couple of times a week he gets a good sized lamb offcut to chew on. I must say it's a pain in the ass sometimes having to make sure there is fresh food for him, but it's worth it.

He's never eaten dry food, and he can't tolerate tinned food now, the last time I gave him some, he threw it up on my lounge..

I know that cooked bones are a definite no-no, yet I know someone who regularly cooks chicken wings (I know! :thumbsup: ) and other bones on the BBQ for their dogs. :confused: I have mentioned to them several times that it is really not a good idea, but that's what they do. Had to hide a smile recently when they expressed disapproval to me about feeding my dog a frozen turkey wing (in an attempt to stop her inhaling it) :laugh:

where did you get turkey wings from? I want!

I know that cooked bones are a definite no-no, yet I know someone who regularly cooks chicken wings (I know! :laugh: ) and other bones on the BBQ for their dogs. :thumbsup: I have mentioned to them several times that it is really not a good idea, but that's what they do. Had to hide a smile recently when they expressed disapproval to me about feeding my dog a frozen turkey wing (in an attempt to stop her inhaling it) :o

From the IGA here. They come prepacked in the meat section. I think they're Ingham brand. They're 'wingettes' if that makes sense- separated into the drumette and the other bit. I buy the drumettes and they look like a big chicken drumstick. I think they're about $5 for 4. They were actually the first bone Roo ever tried to bury :D The other day when she had one though there was nothing left :confused:

We can get turkey carcass and wings and frames and feet all through steggles... We do have a big steggles factory in Beresfield though.. I think it's about $5kg for the wings and legs etc but only about 2.50kg for frames. If I buy 10kg they do it cheaper and I just freeze them. Having a big dog chicken goes down to quickly without him chewing it.

I know that cooked bones are a definite no-no, yet I know someone who regularly cooks chicken wings (I know! :) ) and other bones on the BBQ for their dogs. ;) I have mentioned to them several times that it is really not a good idea, but that's what they do. Had to hide a smile recently when they expressed disapproval to me about feeding my dog a frozen turkey wing (in an attempt to stop her inhaling it) ;)

From the IGA here. They come prepacked in the meat section. I think they're Ingham brand. They're 'wingettes' if that makes sense- separated into the drumette and the other bit. I buy the drumettes and they look like a big chicken drumstick. I think they're about $5 for 4. They were actually the first bone Roo ever tried to bury :rofl: The other day when she had one though there was nothing left :laugh:

i have never seen them at IGA - im guessing you are already on the way here? if not, and you do see this... want to grab me some? :D

I feed my dog a variety of preimum brands including; Eukanuba, Iams, Advance, Proplan, Eagle Pack, and Royal Canin, occassionally Science Diet the store brands I feed her are Yoghurt Plus, Purina One, Supercoat, Julius Gold meat rolls(Occassional Treat)

I tried Innove Evo but the amount of protein didn't agree with her and turned her into a an aggressive beast, and she normally as sweet as lamb. She has no allergies.

She also get scraps of mixed vegetables, and other left over scraps we have and she has mild arthritis, so she get a 1 1/4 teaspoon of Sasha's blend in her food every morning.

Unfortuantly as she had one of back teeth pulled and one of her front canines pulled we cannot give her bones as she just now inhales them, causing her to choke.