Grass Seed ?

Had the boy off to the vet on Wednesday as l found a grass seed under his armpit, removed it but wanted antibiotic's just incase, the vet insisted on sedating him opening up the puncture and checking it was all out, it was but the trip cost $360. l mentioned to the vet about his nose one side is dry with dry boogers and his eye on that side seems to have alot of sleep in it, she thought nothing of it but l think he might have a grass seed up there. The other side of his nose is normal and the other eye is fine. He sneezes maybe once or twice a day he more so seems to be snorting like he is trying to blow his nose and even at that he rarely does it.

Grass seed or something else ?

Edited by Sir Sniffalot

... l mentioned to the vet about his nose one side is dry with dry boogers and his eye on that side seems to have alot of sleep in it, she thought nothing of it but l think he might have a grass seed up there. The other side of his nose is normal and the other eye is fine. He sneezes maybe once or twice a day he more so seems to be snorting like he is trying to blow his nose and even at that he rarely does it.

what did the vet say?

When we were out walking the other day, Daisy my little Westie stopped and ate some long coarse-looking grass growing in the vacant block we cross that is next door to home...that was ok, but a minute or two later she was sneezing and running round in circles and carrying on like a pork chop, I calmed her down, then she had this gi-normus sneeze and this 15 cm (or thereabouts) blade of grass shot out of one nostril...gave me a bit of a fright! Anyhow, I pulled the rest of it out and she thought I had saved her life and did zoomies up and down the driveway when we got home. :heart:

Has your vet checked for allergy?

I've had two of mine to the Vet for yucky eyes this week (sometimes one eye is worse than the other, sometimes both - and its very thick and snotty looking). He seems to think they are suffering from an allergy (probably pollen or somesuch from our/our neighbours trees). Both are looking much better since changing eye ointment.

Just a thought :heart:

Theresa

She checked his nose and ears while he was sedated and said they looked fine, his nose was so full of boogers l am not sure how she could get a good look at it.

If the Vet's comments closed at that, I'd be switching Vets. Maybe the Vet didn't see any grass seed, but surely the Vet wouldn't have been happy about a nostril full of gummed up mucous (which is the picture I'm getting from your description of "so full of boogers").

A dog that has an eye that is producing a lot of mucus with a dry nose on the same side would make me very suspicious of a condition called "neurogenic dry eye" where the nerve that supplies both the lacrimal gland and the nasal gland is no longer working. This should be investigated and treatment started if required before the dog gets secondary corneal disease.