Puppies And Bones

blue.amstaff

Hi all..

We are getting our American Staffy puppy in 4 weeks time and I'm wondering what are the safest bones to feed him? He will be 8 weeks old when he arrives, anything he gets will be supervised of course. I was thinking maybe a chicken neck, but I worry he might try and swallow it whole..

I heard pigs ears and the like are very fatty and unhealthy so I'd prefer to stay away from things like that and feed fresh food.

Chicken wings, chicken carcases, lamb ribs, brisket bone. Chicken necks would be useless for a pup of his size IMO.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!! If he hasn't been getting bones at the breeders don't give him anything other than what is on their diet sheet for at least 7-10 days after he arrives so he has time to settle in to his new home first, then start with very small and infrequent bones to get his stomach used to it. Actually if he's never had bone before I would start with a small amount of mince carcase to see how he goes first.

Thanks Persephone and Sandra..

I never thought of chicken frames but love the idea..They would certainly keep my mind at ease.

His breeder hasn't fed him any bones as of yet, he feeds the puppies Advance Puppy Dry and Minced Chicken Frames.

My Staffordshire (ie English, not American) is now about 9 weeks old. He had chicken necks today for the first time and seemed to love them. Only gave him two, shortly after breakfast, but will be giving him a couple more tomorrow :wave:

I definately wouldnt introduce him to a new food until at least a few days after he/she comes home. We tried about 2 teaspoons of puppy food from a can, and it upset his belly for a few days. All good now though, forunately.

Have fun, its great having a puppy around! Please post piccys!

I am feeding my dobermann puppy chicken frames and necks for breakfast, more the frames though, I supervise him but so far he seems to really enjoy them and not a morsel is left when he is done with the frames. I break the frame in half so its easier for him. This said he has been raised on a raw diet so he has been accustomed to eating carefully, he doesn't scoff his food and chews (this might also be because he isnt much of a glutton either lol).

Edited by kyliegirl