Is He American Staffy?

Duman

Hey guys and girls, i bought my dog at 5 months old. I was told he's american staffy and hes microchipped as an amstaff. been doing a bit of research on amstaffs and i know the correct height should be between 17 and 19 inches ? i measured him last night at 6 months 2 weeks and hes 17 inches at the shoulder. He has all the characteristics of a staffy. just dont know whether hes pure?

post-38172-1294117468_thumb.jpg

Edited by Duman

Hey guys and girls, i bought my dog at 5 months old. I was told he's american staffy and hes microchipped as an amstaff. been doing a bit of research on amstaffs and i know the correct height should be between 17 and 19 inches ? i measured him last night at 6 months 2 weeks and hes 17 inches at the shoulder. He has all the characteristics of a staffy. just dont know whether hes pure?

heres a picture of my sisters 2 english staffys and my girlfriends american pitbull and my amstaff

post-38172-1294118126_thumb.jpg

Unless he has papers there no way to prove he is pure... The majority of Amstaffs in Aust are well over the 'preferred' height. Unfortunately its not unusual to see purebreed AST as tall as 23 inchs at the shoulders :thumbsup:

I'll defer to the bull breed experts but he doesn't look like a purebred of either Stafford variety to me.

Did you see his parents?

Edited by poodlefan

he doesn't look like a purebred of either Stafford variety to me.

And that, but once again, there are some (papered) abominations being bred around the traps that look nothing like any stafford or amstaff that I have ever seen.

ETA: Duman I am NOT saying your dog is an abomination... just wanted to clarify that :thumbsup:

Edited by Ruffles

If you told me he was a Ridgeback/Stafford mix or had some Mastiff or Bullmastiff in his background I'd believe it. Even Sharpei is possible based on looks alone.

He looks to have big flews. Have you got a close up pic of his head??

Edited by poodlefan

I wouldn't rock the boat myself - he's chipped as an Amstaff, leave well alone :thumbsup:

Wait until he's full grown - dogs can go through some really weird stages as teenagers!

His height alone means nothing, as someone else said, a huge proportion of the Amstaffs I see at shows are grossly over the standard height, so BYB ones could well be more likely to be too big and he could be a quick grower so full height already.

Buying an unregistered Amstaff when you live in Qld perhaps wasn't the best move, please take care!

Edited by Sandra777

yeah i read that amstaffs in australia are of poor quality, too big etc. he was bought up from sydney ( i live in cairns) so didnt get too see his parents but he said something about 4th generation champion bloodline bla bla. doesnt bother me whether hes pure or not just curious.

EDIT: he weights 20.5 kg at the moment, guess ill just have to wait and see

post-38172-1294118909_thumb.jpg

Edited by Duman

yeah i read that amstaffs in australia are of poor quality, too big etc. he was bought up from sydney ( i live in cairns) so didnt get too see his parents but he said something about 4th generation champion bloodline bla bla. doesnt bother me whether hes pure or not just curious.

Must have been the angle of the other shot.. he looks quite tight lipped there.

he looks more like a backyard amstaff ... 'mostly' amstaff :thumbsup:

by the way, if you're in QLD I wouldnt be advertising your GFs dog is a pitbull a they're a restricted breed up there, and there can be big problems especially if hers is entire and undeclared to your council

That first pic really throws a spanner In the works, looks like some Mastiff type In him, but the others are more to your Am Staff. I'm guessing though he's either not a well bred true to type Am Staff or there may be something else In there. You will probably get a better idea as he matures, but either way he Is one gorgeous pooch :thumbsup:

And yes In regards to the "other" dog QLD.......Not the very best place to be telling folks It's a Pit, In case you're not up to date with BSL laws :laugh:

That first pic really throws a spanner In the works, looks like some Mastiff type In him, but the others are more to your Am Staff. I'm guessing though he's either not a well bred true to type Am Staff or there may be something else In there. You will probably get a better idea as he matures, but either way he Is one gorgeous pooch :laugh:

And yes In regards to the "other" dog QLD.......Not the very best place to be telling folks It's a Pit, In case you're not up to date with BSL laws :laugh:

meh, i get told different stuff every day, some say there illegal, some say there restricted, some say you cant breed them but you can have them others reckon you need a 6 foot fence and its all good.... some say there fine? some say new laws some say old laws

id trust a pitty before a chihuaha

I couldn't agree more In what you'd trust more!

Different rules for different states, but there are other forums on here to discuss those!

Good luck with your boy :laugh:

That first pic really throws a spanner In the works, looks like some Mastiff type In him, but the others are more to your Am Staff. I'm guessing though he's either not a well bred true to type Am Staff or there may be something else In there. You will probably get a better idea as he matures, but either way he Is one gorgeous pooch :laugh:

And yes In regards to the "other" dog QLD.......Not the very best place to be telling folks It's a Pit, In case you're not up to date with BSL laws :bolt:

meh, i get told different stuff every day, some say there illegal, some say there restricted, some say you cant breed them but you can have them others reckon you need a 6 foot fence and its all good.... some say there fine? some say new laws some say old laws

id trust a pitty before a chihuaha