Fleas

Hi I am new in here I have four doggies and two cats and are having a major flea problem I have tried everything under the sun nothing is working there must be some thing out there that works???? :thumbsup:

Inside pets or outside pets?

In order to control a flea problem you have to:

1. Treat the animal

2. Treat the bedding

3. Treat the environment the animal lives in ie. your house and backyard

I am sure if you access the Bayer website they will cover it in full there.

Good luck!

I have Aussies and Borders we and two cats we have tried Avantage, frontline,recently Revolution on the cats that did not work at all, Fido,s flea rinse and all the natural products even made my own, fido,s kill them but then there back on straight away and recently tried Comfortis which lasted about two days.

In order to control a flea problem you have to:

1. Treat the animal

2. Treat the bedding

3. Treat the environment the animal lives in ie. your house and backyard

I am sure if you access the Bayer website they will cover it in full there.

Good luck!

Thank you I will have a look at the Website the only thing I havent done is the house and maybe there under the house as well?

I have found Advocate for noth dogs and cats inside and out to be effective. But if they are coming from other neighboring animals they will still get a bite. Keeping dogs out of the dust is a great idea like under the house we blocked out under house off from all animals. The cats when out tend to "explore" and do at time bring home unwelcome guests.

I have found Advocate for noth dogs and cats inside and out to be effective. But if they are coming from other neighboring animals they will still get a bite. Keeping dogs out of the dust is a great idea like under the house we blocked out under house off from all animals. The cats when out tend to "explore" and do at time bring home unwelcome guests.

I have tried Advocate hasnt worked either but yes our dogs lie under the house so we might have too block it off and our cats yes they wonder now and again so thats a problem too!

If there is a heavy infestation in the house and yard you will see still see fleas as the animals are constantly being infested with new ones that then die, until you break the cycle you will see them.

Flea Bombs or sprays for the house, with Insect Growth Regulators in them to kill the eggs and larvae.

Vacuum everywhere inside, all skiting boards, soft furnishings, every where.

Wash all animal bedding.

Outside you will need to spray everywhere, and probably repeat every week for a while.

Comfortis is excellent but in heavy infestations you will keep seeing some fleas, because it only kills adult fleas.

Advantage fortnightly, with Capstar twice weekly and spraying the environment works well.

There is no cheap and easy solutions when we are having seasons like this.

..Any chance of having your cats in an enclosed yard or run? That way you have a lot more control over parasites (and risk of accidents,contracting feline AIDS thru wounds inflicted by another cat) They won't be bringing nasties home to share around :thumbsup:

If there is a heavy infestation in the house and yard you will see still see fleas as the animals are constantly being infested with new ones that then die, until you break the cycle you will see them.

Flea Bombs or sprays for the house, with Insect Growth Regulators in them to kill the eggs and larvae.

Wash all animal bedding.

Outside you will need to spray everywhere, and probably repeat every week for a while.

Comfortis is excellent but in heavy infestations you will keep seeing some fleas, because it only kills adult fleas.

Advantage fortnightly, with Capstar twice weekly and spraying the environment works well.

Thats the problem we are on two acres how do you spray two acres and what with?

..Any chance of having your cats in an enclosed yard or run? That way you have a lot more control over parasites (and risk of accidents,contracting feline AIDS thru wounds inflicted by another cat) They won't be bringing nasties home to share around :rofl:

Both cats are desexed and hardly ever wonder maybe once in a blue moon but normally inside and locked inside at the night time.

Wash all animal bedding.

Thats the problem we are on two acres how do you spray two acres and what with?

Spray unit either pressure pump up or electric pump, can sometimes be hired it you don't want to buy one although they are always useful, for weed spray insecticide etc. Solfac, Coopex, Malaban, Nucidol etc, any sandy areas, under shrubs, under the house, concrete areas, paving etc.

By all reports I have heard, ShoTags don't work.

As above, you need to get to all the fleas at the same time: adults on the dogs and cats, immature in the enviroment.

The day before, vacuum and mop everything in the house (you can't vaccum or mop few a few days after using flea bombs). Throw out the vaccum bag (or wash and dry you filters is bagless)

On the day:

1) Treat all the dogs and cats with a good spot on type product and probably Confortis at the same time (speak to your vet / check packets for compatability).

2) Bomb the house - every room. Leave all cupboards etc open to allow the stuff to get in. Use at least the recommended number of units for the area you have.

3) Spray the yard.

4) Wash everything that is washable that the dogs have access to: beds, coats etc. Throw away unwashable beds. Dry in hot sun if possible.

5) Mow the lawn as short as it will handle. Trim up garden beds to minimise moist areas.

Ideally stop access to under the house - this is a huge flea haven most of the time. Chicken wire or similar should be able to block off the area.

Fleas LOVE under the house- dry, dusty and warm... ideal!!

The rest of your 2 acres I would not worry about ....why cover the whole area with insecticide- killing EVERYTHING when your animals mainly live in/around your house?

Spray underneath the house thoroughly with a product specially chosen..or get a pest controller to do it. Completely block off access fro dogs and cats.

Then, follow the previous instructions...

Did you know- with the spot ons for your dogs.. they may work more effectively if applies in two areas..rather than one? I usually apply half on neck/shoulder area..and the other half just at the base of the tail ,on the rump.

I find giving my animals Apple Cider Vinegar in their food or water helps, haven't had fleas for years so there must be something in it they don't like. I also spray them with a mix of ACV and water which seems to deter flies as well.

You will have to treat their enviroment though to get things under control, even if you can't do the full two acres I would look at doing the areas they most frequent and hope that the ACV treatment gets the others to move on to better tasting dogs. :rofl:

I find giving my animals Apple Cider Vinegar in their food or water helps, haven't had fleas for years so there must be something in it they don't like. I also spray them with a mix of ACV and water which seems to deter flies as well.

You will have to treat their enviroment though to get things under control, even if you can't do the full two acres I would look at doing the areas they most frequent and hope that the ACV treatment gets the others to move on to better tasting dogs. :eek:

Thank you everyone well it looks like we are going to have to block the underneath off the house off which wont be to hard as the front off the house where the dogs dont go anyway is allready blocked off by wooden pickets so just got to do the back off the house and then treat the yard which mainley the house yard where the dogs are and there treat the there kennels.

Also the apple cider vineger my Husband was reading that vineger works so yep getting some with the shopping today and we have frontline spray on the way because I thought at least you can keep using that unlike the spot ons.

We will keep on working on it thanks everyone! :rofl:

Oh yes and buying the flea bombs today :cry: