Registered Breeders

Steve

For many generations the term registered breeder has been used and most of society knew what that meant – someone who was a registered breeder with one of the states member bodies of the Australian National Kennel Club - Someone who bred purebred dogs under a code of ethics.

Go to any animal rights or animal welfare org’s website or talk to any purebred breeder and they will tell you one of the ways you can be sure to lower the risks in buying a pup is to go to a registered breeder.

However in recent history this has changed and its time we began qualifying who the breeder needs to be registered with in order to explain the differences.

A registered breeder could be someone who is registered as a breeder with their local council, it could be someone who is registered with the Australian Association of Pet Dog Breeders , it could be someone who is registered with a state purebred dog stud registry, it could be an accredited registered breeder with their states purebred dog stud registry or it could be someone who is registered as a breeder member of the Master Dog Breeders and Associates.

Telling someone in the year 2011 to only buy a puppy from a registered breeder could see them going straight to the biggest commercial breeder in the country on our advice.

Its time we all stood back and really looked at what a registered breeder is today and start to develop a different language to describe who we are and what we do I think.

Members of the public dont have a chance of knowing this stuff - its an issue.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just like most people don't actually know what a dog's "papers" are. I've had people I know (nice, smart people) proudly tell me their new puppy has papers and then describe or show me things like vet vaccination certificate, pet shop receipt, or pedigree printed off the internet. They didn't know any different between these things and a kennel club registration certificate! As far as they were concerned, their puppy came with "papers".

Just like most people don't actually know what a dog's "papers" are. I've had people I know (nice, smart people) proudly tell me their new puppy has papers and then describe or show me things like vet vaccination certificate, pet shop receipt, or pedigree printed off the internet. They didn't know any different between these things and a kennel club registration certificate! As far as they were concerned, their puppy came with "papers".

Yep - its an issue and it gets bigger every day.

Ive got a real easy solution for it - when you are looking for a new puppy or recycled dog go to an MDBA breeder or rescue member. :laugh:

Trouble is Ive no doubt registered breeders who are not our members wont see that as a viable solution. :eek:

Edited by Steve

Ive got a real easy solution for it - when you are looking for a new puppy or recycled dog go to an MDBA breeder or rescue member. :laugh:

Trouble is Ive no doubt registered breeders who are not our members wont see that as a viable solution. :eek:

Well, to be fair, I don't either. I think your breeders are probably all great, but I've also met some great breeders who aren't MDBA members, and I wouldn't personally restrict my search for a dog to MDBA members (or to kennel club breeders, for that matter). :eek:

Well, to be fair, I don't either. I think your breeders are probably all great, but I've also met some great breeders who aren't MDBA members, and I wouldn't personally restrict my search for a dog to MDBA members (or to kennel club breeders, for that matter). :eek:

Thats interesting - where else would you look for a good breeder?

I would be interested in becoming more informed about this. I feel like I did my research. But I didn't realise the extent to which you could register outside of the ANKC. I felt when looking for my puppy that ANKC registration was the only sort of value. I assume to some extent I might be right, but some of the types of group names you mentioned "sound good". That brings a new level of confusion!! When things sound good/official people arre often inclined (rightlyor wrongly) to believe that they are.

I agree that there does need to be some sort of clarification/differentiation in terminology that makes it a bit more clear to people who they are dealing with and what standards they abide by.

I appreciate anything I can learn about this because it sounds like it is becoming a very complex issue from one that used to be straightforward (from my limited understanding of how it used to be!).

I'm more than happy to give recommendations to people and to explain why I'm recommending a particular breeder, but when I'm asked about a breeder I WON'T recommend I'm forced to stay silent. We have one "breeder" (term used with gritted teeth) who has been known to threaten to sue people and she's registered!

Perhaps all MDBA members could include our codes of ethics on our websites?? - show people on the site what proper papers look like and explain it - use our websites to educate people???

How many wheaten and kerry blue terrier breeders are members of the MDBA?

I'm more than happy to give recommendations to people and to explain why I'm recommending a particular breeder, but when I'm asked about a breeder I WON'T recommend I'm forced to stay silent. We have one "breeder" (term used with gritted teeth) who has been known to threaten to sue people and she's registered!

Perhaps all MDBA members could include our codes of ethics on our websites?? - show people on the site what proper papers look like and explain it - use our websites to educate people???

Good idea but you also have to remember that part of your code of ethics is

I shall refrain from making negative or malicious statements about other breeder's, their dogs or practices - so Im sure its not just because you might be sued. :laugh:

If I wanted a working dog, I'd personally be happy in some breeds to look at a non-kennel club affiliated breeder. ;)

How many wheaten and kerry blue terrier breeders are members of the MDBA?

I could be wrong but I dont think there are any - yet.

I shall refrain from making negative or malicious statements about other breeder's, their dogs or practices - so Im sure its not just because you might be sued. :laugh:

Really? MDBA members can't make negative statements about other breeder's practices? What if the practices are clearly unethical?

Sorry for the double post, I'm just interested.

If I wanted a working dog, I'd personally be happy in some breeds to look at a non-kennel club affiliated breeder. ;)

Yep I agree.

I shall refrain from making negative or malicious statements about other breeder's, their dogs or practices - so Im sure its not just because you might be sued. :eek:

Yes I know it's part of the code too - but is it malicious when it's true...... :laugh:

Edited by AmandaJ

Really? MDBA members can't make negative statements about other breeder's practices? What if the practices are clearly unethical?

You can say so generally but not specifically. Its about showing the positive and not getting into bagging out any you think are rotten.

When a breeder starts putting down a competitor even if they have good reason most hearing it dont judge the one they are putting down they judge the one doing the putting down.

You're right, I don't.

I shall refrain from making negative or malicious statements about other breeder's, their dogs or practices - so Im sure its not just because you might be sued. :eek:

Yes I know it's part of the code too - but is it malicious when it's true...... :laugh:

It has to be in most circumstances and truth is not always what it appears to be anyway.

Edited to add. Telling someone you know in confidence is different to telling the public or people out loud.

Edited by Steve

You can say so generally but not specifically. Its about showing the positive and not getting into bagging out any you think are rotten.

When a breeder starts putting down a competitor even if they have good reason most hearing it dont judge the one they are putting down they judge the one doing the putting down.

Hmmm, interesting. I'm not sure if I agree, though I can see your point.

For example, if I was new to dogs and I said "I'm thinking of getting a dog from breeder X!", I think it's good if my MDBA friend could say "well I'd think twice about that since breeder X doesn't hip score, and it's very important in your breed, also I've met her stud dog and it bit me". You know? :laugh:

Star - it's an ANKC member body rule