Registered Breeders

Steve

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought she was using caps to emphasise. :D Better not use caps any more Annie it ticks people off.

You're right. It is used for emphasis which is pretty obvious.

Have fun with the thread. I can't be bothered.

And I can assure you if I was a registered breeder doing the right thing I would want to be part of an org which was not associated IN ANY WAY with puppy farms or Byb's. I would be working very hard to make sure that I could distinguish myself as the breeder doing the right thing by dogs and pups from Puppy farmers/bybs

I don't think there is a problem. Yep, more registries complicate the issue.

However, the breeder simply has to say - as I do - I breed purebred dogs. I am registered with the ANKC (via my local canine control), which is the oldest registry for purebred dogs in Aust. You are welcome to come and see my dogs, or my pups, and if you are then interested in one, you can contact people who have my pups, and speak to them.

I suppose people who want the cross mongs society (ASPRO or whatever the hell it is called) can ring them, and they will say, I am an ASPRO member, it's been going 20 minutes, and I breed cross bred mongs, come and have a look.

And if you are an MDBA member you say whatever is correct and appropriate.

And we have had endless threads here about choosing a breeder, the latest authored by Poodlefan, which is definitely worth a read.

Most of the people buying care mainly that breeders are caring, honest and ethical, and will sell them a healthy pup, which they are prepared to back with service.

And the way to choose a good breeder is research, research, research. Observation and questions.

A breeder who cannot show you a properly certified pedigree of both parents, is not a registered breeder.

And that breeder, at the time of purchase, should give you information on care and raising the puppy; a list of what they will do for you; perhaps a health guarantee; and something in writing stating that the puppy you purchased is registered with the appropriate registry, or give you the puppy's pedigree.

I've dealt with heaps of breeders over decades. 99% were the sort of breeder I can only aspire to be. 1 % were ordinary, and .01% were dodgy.

For the people who come here and complain, there are another 100 with a perfectly healthy happy bright dog by their side, purchased without dramas or trials from a perfectly ethical registered breeder.

I don't think it is any more difficult than it ever was.

And I can assure you if I was a registered breeder doing the right thing I would want to be part of an org which was not associated IN ANY WAY with puppy farms or Byb's. I would be working very hard to make sure that I could distinguish mysel

f as the breeder doing the right thing by dogs and pups from Puppy farmers/bybs

And the way to do that is to distinguish yourself from them by your words and actions. Not by flashy websites, by knowledge, care for your breed, knowledge of your breed, consideration and duty of care to any prospective buyers, and ongoing service and consideration.

There are thousands of breeders who do that, and do it well. Whatever organisation they belonged to, they would behave in exactly the same way. :D

And thank dog for every single one of them, we are so lucky to have them.

Remember too, if you are a member of the law society, you are probably not happy with some of the other members. A vet I know is just itching to report a dodgy vet she knows to the Veterinary Registration Board .. every time you collect a class of people, you collect the saints, the average, the ordinary and the dodgy.

Car dealers? Oh, yes, they are really dodgy. I needed a new (used) car. From another state, sight unseen, I bought a car from a motor dealer I know. I have bought and paid for it, I haven't seen it, but when I go home, I know that car will do what I want. I have bought half a dozen cars from the same person .... that's why people who want another dog go back to the same breeder, or ask that breeder to recommend someone.

And that's why I get heaps of PMs asking me to recommend a breeder.

Jed :D :)

I've had many many reg. purebreed dogs over the years, and shown, and had a stud dog (not a breeder but used by his breeders).

ANKC reg.

Never a problem, well researched.

I know what I look for in a breeder and have never been disappointed.

I can't remember, but I thought years ago there was only one body and you were either reg with that body or not reg at all? I may be way off, I'm sure someone can correct me.

With one body you know exactly where to go etc. and who to access.

I dont know how you educate the pubic. It is complicated now, once , papers were papers. that was it.

Now it's all a mine field.

I think if a body is going to represent breeders (or anyone) they should make sure (consequences) the member abides by the regulations of the body. I know this does not happen and this reduces the respect and face of other breeders.

Thanks Monah.

I agree too about one registry. any registry is going to have practices that not every one agrees with, and members that not everyone agrees with

I think if a body is going to represent breeders (or anyone) they should make sure (consequences) the member abides by the regulations of the body. I know this does not happen and this reduces the respect and face of other breeders.

I presumed you meant the ANKC?

I see members getting holidays, or being banned forever, for being naughty. And I'm always pleased to see, when some shocking puppy farmer is exposed that they were evicted from the ANKC some months or years ago, so someone complained, and the ANKC took action. Of course, a lot leave, because once they go to the dark side, they don't want to be in the ANKC.

But I do wonder why Mrs Mekyersik is still a member - and then I wonder if perhaps I have been given the wrong info on her - or is she too smart for them?

The regs need to be tightened for bulk breeders, and for export. I don't think anyone of us likes exports, and I cannot see why the rules aren't changed to prevent bulk breeders exporting puppies to u know where.

I also think the ANKC might be better served by a more interactive website which incorporates all states

What is your take on all of it?

Edited by Jed

I've had many many reg. purebreed dogs over the years, and shown, and had a stud dog (not a breeder but used by his breeders).

ANKC reg.

I can't remember, but I thought years ago there was only one body and you were either reg with that body or not reg at all? I may be way off, I'm sure someone can correct me.

I dont know how you educate the pubic. It is complicated now, once , papers were papers. that was it.

This is what caused the original problem.Annie became aware of a breeder who told her they were registered and she assumed that meant ANKC registered - they werent.They were registered with another group and as a result what Annie thought they were dong which was breaching what she thought the ANKC code of conduct was they were perfectly able to do. Obvioulsy it got heated and was deleted but it was caused by the fact that like you she thought a registered breeder meant ANKC registered breeder and it didnt.

Edited by Steve

ANKC reg.

This is what caused the original problem.Annie became aware of a breeder who told her they were registered and she assumed that meant ANKC registered - they werent.They were registered with another group and as a result what Annie thought they were dong which was breaching what she thought the ANKC code of conduct was they were perfectly able to do. Obvioulsy it got heated and was deleted but it was caused by the fact that like you she thought a registered breeder meant ANKC registered breeder and it didnt.

Ah, I see. I have explained to Annie how to ascertain whether they are ANKC registered or not. And maybe some others will take notice? Thank you for explaining that :D

I've had issues with CCCQ re complaints about a few people blatantly breaking 'rules' inc. one who sold very young pups ..

no breeder I've dealt with myself, :)

I dont feel qualified to really have a take on it, I've been out of the loop for many years, but would love to get back into showing some time.

I know what I like in a breeder and have often built up very strong relationships with them long before,(a few times years!!) I've been ready for a pup, (or kitten)

I'll leave it up to those who know.

I've been blessed to have wonderful , supportive, caring breeders in a very large variety of breeds, not one issue with any of them. :D :D

I think it goes both ways though, buyers also need to do the right thing too.

ANKC reg.

thanks.

I realise reg. does not neccessarily mean ANKC, which is why I feel it's better to only have one body Australia wide. Then there is no confusion. Dog people are usually in the know, but it must be a minefield for others. :D

ANKC reg.

thanks.

I realise reg. does not neccessarily mean ANKC, which is why I feel it's better to only have one body Australia wide. Then there is no confusion. Dog people are usually in the know, but it must be a minefield for others. :D

Too late for that the AAPDB has been around for about 5 years.

Our registry is new but our breeder members are ANKC registered anyway. No conflict there.

I guess the new accredited breeders also put a new slant on things too.

The big question is - when they have their way and we all have to have permits and licences to breed dogs and work under mandatory codes which are more difficult than a code of conduct will that make it almost impossible to tell us apart?

Edited so as to remain on topic. I've deleted the rest of my post but this is still relevant.

Before you actually 'enter' the dog ownership world, registration doesn't mean a whole lot because it just means that so and so has paid fees and filled out paper work with yet another regulatory body ... It's actually just plain confusing. Before we actually 'entered the dog ownership world' like many people, we just assumed that if you got the puppy young enough and looked after it well, it would turn out the way you wanted it to.

Also, to be perfectly frank, even now after having entered the 'dog ownership world', the fact that a breeder is registered still means very little to me. Whether it's ANKC, WKC or whatever - it is actually nothing more than a threshold consideration because there are so many factors I would now take into account before getting a dog. Registration is a box that must be ticked but recommendations from other people I trust would be just as critical. Finally, it would be whether I liked the breeder on a personal level, whether he/she was pleasant and approachable and was willing to share his/her knowledge with me when asked.

Edited by koalathebear

You know what I think, and I know you don't like it, but I'll say it again. There wont be enough registered breeders left to worry about. There wont be sufficient experience or depth of breeding, and I suspect, there wont be the good dogs.

To be honest, from talking to a lot of people, I do think that the main reason that many people don't get from a registered breeder is not because of cost. It's about availability. When people want to buy a dog, they want to get the dog when they want to get it and they want to get the dog on their terms/the dog of their choice. If you want to purchase a dog from a registered breeder, there can be a few hurdles.

Absolutely we dont breed anywhere near enough puppies to put a dent in the demand - a whole new topic but this one was about how "registered breeder" no longer means what people have assumed it meant.

Ive got a real easy solution for it - when you are looking for a new puppy or recycled dog go to an MDBA breeder or rescue member. :D

Trouble is Ive no doubt registered breeders who are not our members wont see that as a viable solution. :)

You're absolutely right. This is one reputable breeder who doesn't see it as a viable solution :D

Ive got a real easy solution for it - when you are looking for a new puppy or recycled dog go to an MDBA breeder or rescue member. :D

Trouble is Ive no doubt registered breeders who are not our members wont see that as a viable solution. :)

You're absolutely right. This is one reputable breeder who doesn't see it as a viable solution :D

So what is?

And I can assure you if I was a registered breeder doing the right thing I would want to be part of an org which was not associated IN ANY WAY with puppy farms or Byb's. I would be working very hard to make sure that I could distinguish mysel

f as the breeder doing the right thing by dogs and pups from Puppy farmers/bybs

And the way to do that is to distinguish yourself from them by your words and actions. Not by flashy websites, by knowledge, care for your breed, knowledge of your breed, consideration and duty of care to any prospective buyers, and ongoing service and consideration.

Why is it that the pet industry is worth billions every year?

Great that people go to you, but plenty of people are impressed by flashy websites. Why else would byb/puppy farmers use them? And why else have hundreds of dogs if there is not big $$$$ to be made. Many are sold off the web and many also go overseas.