Judge Question

Puggz

If they bred a dog and sold it and some years the later the owner decided to exhibit the dog under that judge then they could (but I don't think many would go down that road).

This happened with a Sweepstake class at a group specialty here last year. It placed the judge in a difficult situation.

If they bred a dog and sold it and some years the later the owner decided to exhibit the dog under that judge then they could (but I don't think many would go down that road).

This happened with a Sweepstake class at a group specialty here last year. It placed the judge in a difficult situation.

It would be awful :laugh:

Sorry if this is a silly questions but....

Are judges allowed to judge there own dogs? obviously being shown by another handler? :laugh:

Not a silly question at all.

If the judge had some backbone, then I don't see a problem.

The trouble is some people would not be able to accept that the judge's dog is best, if it got up.

That's the issue.

People have no faith.

Now, following a judge around who 'loves' your dog is a different matter.

I haven't done it, but I was tempted.

I have met the same judge before though.

It's slim pickings at some shows. ;)

Edited by pewithers

No - and you can't show that dog, even if they are judging another group.

I own a dog in partnership with a breeder (who is also a judge), I can not enter a show that they are judging, even if they are judging a completely different group. (these are ankc rules i believe)

eta - I didn't think that someone would be allowed to enter a dog that a judge had bred under that dog? I thought that was against the rules.

I know you can enter the dog's progeny (that you had bred or someone other than the judge), but not the actual dog. Pretty unethical if you do. What's the judge going to do? - give the dog the breed and so have everyone accuse them of favouritism, or not give the dog the breed, and so tell everyone that they think that there own breeding isn't good enough.... damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Edited by jr_inoz

You can enter a dog the Judge has bred, providing it is NOT in their name at all and they have not seen it for a minimum of six months.

As jr_inoz said, if the dog is in their name or in partnership then NO you can not even show the dog in another Group.

Personally, I would never enter under the breeder at all.

I was told also that you can't enter under a judge that has gone over your dog outside the ring? Is that true?

e.g. One lady who shows in our breed also is becoming a judge. In a discussion about stacking she was trying to explain something to me and I asked her if she could show me on my dog, she said she couldn't in case I wanted to enter under her in the future as it could be seen that she is going over my dog. She showed me on one of hers instead.

What 2 Ps said :heart:

Crazy Daisy, really, when it's a trainee judge going over the dog, there is no problem. I take my dogs in for judges' lectures and I have specifically asked this question. I am still allowed to enter under that trainee judge for open shows and then also once they have their champ qualification.

The real problem starts when, for example, a judge who is going to judge your group soon wants to go over your dog outside the ring.... it's a matter of ethics. If anyone wants to go over my dog, I ask if they have a judging appointment any time in the next 6 months. It's unethical for a judge to go over a dog outside the ring and then judge it in a champ show within 6 months.

For example, if your neighbour was a judge, they shouldn't touch your dogs within 6 months of their judging appointment if you intend to enter under them.

add to that....

The breeder I have a dog in partnership with, also has a dog in partnership with someone else who is a judge.

I can not enter my dog in partnership under the second judge either, even though that judge doesn't know me, as they have a professional relationship with someone who has an interest in my dog.

add to that....

The breeder I have a dog in partnership with, also has a dog in partnership with someone else who is a judge.

I can not enter my dog in partnership under the second judge either, even though that judge doesn't know me, as they have a professional relationship with someone who has an interest in my dog.

Hi,

The six month vetto also applies to dogs that are handled by a judge that are owned by another person.

add to that....

Hi,

The six month vetto also applies to dogs that are handled by a judge that are owned by another person.

Yep - is why, a while ago, someone asked my breeder to handle their dog whilst they were away, but didn't - still took it to show etc, but got someone else to handle in case they had a judging appointment coming up...