Fiji Street Dogs

yasimum

Hello All

Got a lot of support and advice a few years back on this forum. I have just moved back to Australia after living in Fiji. The situation over there with feral dogs is just heartbreaking and soul destroying. Posting a link to a friend's blog. She has started a foundation to try to raise money to help some of these poor wretched creatures. If anyone can help it will go a long, long way over there.

Cheers, regards and many thanks for your past support.

http://helptofijistreetdogsbyflickafund.bl...30fefbfacee6334

Good on her for doing something.

I did some volunteer work with the Esther Honey foundation in Raro, volunteer vets & vet students travelled there & desexed dogs for free/donations - is there something similar in Fiji?

Good on her for doing something.

I did some volunteer work with the Esther Honey foundation in Raro, volunteer vets & vet students travelled there & desexed dogs for free/donations - is there something similar in Fiji?

Staranais, they do get volunteer vets occasionally over there but they always go to Suva and only for a short time. I fed a cat that took up residence on my balcony until my neighbours went bananas and so I rang the SPCA and they could only advise that I find a home for it or dump it in the cane fields, that is how short on resources they are.

Ready set go, it does look that simple from a Western perspective but sadly it just isn't.

1)No vets to do the euthanizing on a large scale.

2)Even if there was a vet available, the economy over there is such that people are very, very poor. They can't afford even basic care.

I'm ashamed to say though that the worst culprits are the expats. They buy dogs to guard their property, don't bother speying or neutering and then bugger off and dump the poor dog.

It is an impossible task but if she can make life better for just a couple of dogs, then in my books it is worth it.

If there's a vet to desex, then there's a vet that can euth.

Why put a band aid on, spend the money and tackle the problem head on. But then I guess it doesn't give anyone warm fuzzies does it.

There is a volunteer vet in Suva which is a four hour drive away from the West Coast where my friend is working. They come to Nadi once a month if we are lucky to do repair work for dogs that have been hit by cars etc. Euthanizing costs money. And she is not saying that euthanizing is not an option. If you read her blog you will see that it is often the only option. Again, not possible on a large scale due to lack of personnel and funds.

No one is doing this to get warm fuzzies believe me! Nothing about the deplorable situation over there comes anywhere close to anything warm and fuzzy. But you are entitled to your opinion. I find it is often people who espouse the warm fuzzy line are precisely those who sit on their arse and do not much of anything. Sure that isn't you though.

Hello All

Got a lot of support and advice a few years back on this forum. I have just moved back to Australia after living in Fiji. The situation over there with feral dogs is just heartbreaking and soul destroying. Posting a link to a friend's blog. She has started a foundation to try to raise money to help some of these poor wretched creatures. If anyone can help it will go a long, long way over there.

Cheers, regards and many thanks for your past support.

http://helptofijistreetdogsbyflickafund.bl...30fefbfacee6334

I just came back from 10 days holiday in Raro and visited the Esther Honey Centre. I take my hat off to those peope, they are doing a great job. They have spayed, nuetered 70% of the dogs on island with their free desexing.

Good on your friend for doing something about Fiji's problem. I will look at her blog......

Ready set go, it does look that simple from a Western perspective but sadly it just isn't.

It is actually. Same as India, South America, Asia. Westerners come in and go Ohhh Noessss these poor dogs. Much easier if they're just shot and the people are educated about feral dogs spitting out lots of puppies.

It is actually. Same as India, South America, Asia. Westerners come in and go Ohhh Noessss these poor dogs. Much easier if they're just shot and the people are educated about feral dogs spitting out lots of puppies.

Again I have to disagree Raz. You are looking at it from the perspective of what you would do. The government in Fiji can't get water to villages or children to school in some places because of their incompetence and corruption. They couldn't care two hoots about the animals except on the regular poisoning campaigns where these animals suffer terribly.

The person who has set up the foundation realises this and knows that the solutions to the problem may be unpalatable to animal lovers but is realistic enough to know that for these poor creatures, going to sleep would be the kindest option.

So, we then get back to the problem, government funding - in your dreams, a populace who have the means to care for their animals - no, they are struggling to feed their kids, so yes mass euthanasia could be a humane solution. Where do you get the funding for this? There's the rub.

THis person is not a bleeding heart, she is trying to find humane solutions for an inhumane problem. If those of you who are naysayers have a problem with that, then of course you are entitled to your opinion but don't try to bring down a truly caring person who is trying to alleviate suffering one dog at a time.

Yasimum:
THis person is not a bleeding heart, she is trying to find humane solutions for an inhumane problem.

What's inhumane about euthanasia? :laugh:

I am not saying that euthanasia is inhumane. The situation of these dogs currently is inhumane. I feel like I am banging my head against a wall here. Lets just say that if you are interested and like minded; here is some info for you. If not, then leave it be but please read what I am saying correctly and read the blog before you have a knee jerk reaction to a complex problem.

The only solution is to euth the dogs and educate the people.

Yes, quite. How? No funding=no programmes.

If they are donation de sexing, let them donate Euth and education.

The donations are not just for de-sexing. It is for whatever best fits the situation. If a dog can be de-sexed and rehomed, great; if not and PTS is the only option then so be it and an education programme would be fantastic as well but that is a long term project that needs adequate funding and planning.

This is one person who is just starting up. The infrastructure will come with adequate funding but at least she is trying.

Islanders used to eat their dogs, ( some may still) :heart: Probably didnt have as much of a problem then.

Again I have to disagree Raz. You are looking at it from the perspective of what you would do.

Yes I am looking at it from the perspective of what I would do, yas. I'd shoot them all. sorry if that's distasteful but I've spent quite a bit of time in countries where street dogs, especially rabid ones, are rampant. I'd kill them, not fluffy lets all save them.

Islanders used to eat their dogs, ( some may still) :heart: Probably didnt have as much of a problem then.

According to that wonderful show Meet the Natives, "only the naughty ones"!

Edited by poodlefan

Islanders used to eat their dogs, ( some may still) :laugh: Probably didnt have as much of a problem then.

According to that wonderful show Meet the Natives, "only the naughty ones"!

I'll tell Ruby that.:heart: