Show Stackers

liamber

My breeder has recommended that I get a set of show stackers as one of my boys will not stand on the table. I think Show Stackers might help as it would discipline him into standing, I think!!! :heart::laugh:

Does anybody else have them and if so what do you think. Do they really work??

Cheers in advance :) :p

If he won't stand on a table, why would he stand on stackers?

If the issue is discipline, I'm not sure stackers are the answer - if the issue is getting a perfect stack then some folk advocate them. I've never used them. :heart:

As soon as I put him on the table he generally sits down as I am trying to stack him. He already has a lovely stack, I just thought maybe if I trained him on the stackers he wouldn't be able to sit down!!!! If he sits down on the stackers he will fall, therefore after a couple of times on the stackers he would learn to stand up and once you get him standing nice and still on the stackers in theory he should stand on the table no worries :laugh:

If the issue is discipline, I'm not sure stackers are the answer - if the issue is getting a perfect stack then some folk advocate them. I've never used them. :heart:

As soon as I put him on the table he generally sits down as I am trying to stack him. He already has a lovely stack, I just thought maybe if I trained him on the stackers he wouldn't be able to sit down!!!! If he sits down on the stackers he will fall, therefore after a couple of times on the stackers he would learn to stand up and once you get him standing nice and still on the stackers in theory he should stand on the table no worries :laugh:

Wouldn't it be easier to teach him a 'stand' cue? There's more positive ways of getting a stand than making a dog fall. Teach him 'stand' on the ground then add the table!

Wouldn't it be easier to teach him a 'stand' cue? There's more positive ways of getting a stand than making a dog fall. Teach him 'stand' on the ground then add the table!

He stands very nicely on the ground already. It's not like he would fall metres to the ground as I would be standing there with him, it would be more like just slipping off the stacker. I do appreciate your comments but i feel like you are critising me and making out that it would be cruel for me to use the stackers. :) :p

As soon as I put him on the table he generally sits down as I am trying to stack him. He already has a lovely stack, I just thought maybe if I trained him on the stackers he wouldn't be able to sit down!!!! If he sits down on the stackers he will fall, therefore after a couple of times on the stackers he would learn to stand up and once you get him standing nice and still on the stackers in theory he should stand on the table no worries :)

He stands very nicely on the ground already. It's not like he would fall metres to the ground as I would be standing there with him, it would be more like just slipping off the stacker. I do appreciate your comments but i feel like you are critising me and making out that it would be cruel for me to use the stackers. :p :(

Suit yourself. Dogs aren't silly though. I fail to see how using the stackers means he won't fidget once you remove them. :laugh:

I'm suggesting a training method I think will be more effective. If he'll stand on the ground, what's the difference on the table.?? Do you stack him using the same method in both locations?

Edited by poodlefan

As soon as I put him on the table he generally sits down as I am trying to stack him. He already has a lovely stack, I just thought maybe if I trained him on the stackers he wouldn't be able to sit down!!!! If he sits down on the stackers he will fall, therefore after a couple of times on the stackers he would learn to stand up and once you get him standing nice and still on the stackers in theory he should stand on the table no worries :)

He stands very nicely on the ground already. It's not like he would fall metres to the ground as I would be standing there with him, it would be more like just slipping off the stacker. I do appreciate your comments but i feel like you are critising me and making out that it would be cruel for me to use the stackers. :p :(

Suit yourself. Dogs aren't silly though. I fail to see how using the stackers means he won't fidget once you remove them. :laugh:

The idea of the show stacker is to encourage a correct stack, the dog has no choice but to stand were they are placed or the become unbalanced. Having seen them used the dog will then correct and put the foot back on the leg of the stacker.

It's not as though they fall off they simply attempt to take a step, be it a slight step forward to be able to sit or what have you, and then finding nothing but air will move their leg back to were they know there is "land"

I have just bought a set if you want to give them a try when they arrive?

Thanks Megz, I will chat to you at the next show. Hopefully you have them by then and have had a chance to use them so you can tell me whether or not they are worth it. I think they will be. :heart::laugh:

I have just bought a set if you want to give them a try when they arrive?

Thanks Megz, I will chat to you at the next show. Hopefully you have them by then and have had a chance to use them so you can tell me whether or not they are worth it. I think they will be. :heart::laugh:

I think they may have arrived today - I had something in the mail last week about a parcel waiting for me.

The idea of the show stacker is to encourage a correct stack, the dog has no choice but to stand were they are placed or the become unbalanced. Having seen them used the dog will then correct and put the foot back on the leg of the stacker.

It's not as though they fall off they simply attempt to take a step, be it a slight step forward to be able to sit or what have you, and then finding nothing but air will move their leg back to were they know there is "land"

I'm aware of that Megz. However there's a difference between encouraging correct position and encouraging stability. I think one needs to be worked on before the other.

Has the dog been seen by a chiropractor. Fidgety dogs can sometimes be experiencing discomfort holding correct position. Worth a check I reckon.

I'm aware of that Megz. However there's a difference between encouraging correct position and encouraging stability. I think one needs to be worked on before the other.

Has the dog been seen by a chiropractor. Fidgety dogs can sometimes be experiencing discomfort holding correct position. Worth a check I reckon.

Poodlefan, he holds correct position on the ground almost everytime, but for some reason he doesn't on the table. I have tried lots of different ways to get him to stand on the table and none really with much success so far. :heart::laugh: I would of thought that with the correct positioning, correct stability with come along with it. How would you suggest I encourage correct stability???

Edited by liamber

Poodlefan, he holds correct position on the ground almost everytime, but for some reason he doesn't on the table. I have tried lots of different ways to get him to stand on the table and none really with much success so far. :heart::laugh: I would of thought that with the correct positioning, correct stability with come along with it :) :p

It might. What's his general demeanor on the table. Is he concerned. What happens if you just pop him up there and dont' ask for position?

I reeally love my show stackers... I had the pups on them at 4 weeks of age and now they are 7 months old they are doing great on the table.. now i just use them as a refresher for them... IMO they are worth every cent!

Here's apic of them at 7 weeks of age

cace6aef.jpg

6cec60ee.jpg

Edited by TeamSnag

I reeally love my show stackers... I had the pups on them at 4 weeks of age and now they are 7 months old they are doing great on the table.. now i just use them as a refresher for them... IMO they are worth every cent!

Here's apic of them at 7 weeks of age

cace6aef.jpg

6cec60ee.jpg

OMG They are sooo cute. And did your puppies fall off of them too much??

I handled a dog that had fallen of show stackers & became a mess.

The dog was very hard to groom & had a complete fear of the table,luckily he was stacked on the ground but still showed a fear of that position .

I have seen the best & worse of them.

I have seen dogs who yes trained well & i have sen dogs who after being trained on them looked like robots with no passion

I prefer to simply train them & address my isues in the way the dog is being handled .

Do you use a mirror when practicing stacking??Has someone video you to see if you are adding to the issue ??

Does the dog stack for someone else on the table??

Are you using the same stacking method on the floor & Table??

OMG They are sooo cute. And did your puppies fall off of them too much??

Nah not much... a slip here n there.. i made it fun for them use lots of bait lol.. after a while they got the hang of it

Thanks Teamsnag. Your babies are sooo gorgeous!!! :thumbsup::eek: I think you and Megz have just confirmed my thoughts and I will definately be looking at getting some. Thanks to you both for your input :thumbsup:

If the issue is discipline, I'm not sure stackers are the answer - if the issue is getting a perfect stack then some folk advocate them. I've never used them. :thumbsup:

As soon as I put him on the table he generally sits down as I am trying to stack him. He already has a lovely stack, I just thought maybe if I trained him on the stackers he wouldn't be able to sit down!!!! If he sits down on the stackers he will fall, therefore after a couple of times on the stackers he would learn to stand up and once you get him standing nice and still on the stackers in theory he should stand on the table no worries :eek:

He stands very nicely on the ground already. It's not like he would fall metres to the ground as I would be standing there with him, it would be more like just slipping off the stacker. I do appreciate your comments but i feel like you are critising me and making out that it would be cruel for me to use the stackers. :D :)

Suit yourself. Dogs aren't silly though. I fail to see how using the stackers means he won't fidget once you remove them. :thumbsup:

I'm suggesting a training method I think will be more effective. If he'll stand on the ground, what's the difference on the table.?? Do you stack him using the same method in both locations?

I agree with PF - I'd be looking at why he's stacking perfectly well on the ground but not on the table before introducing stackers.

While I don't disagree with showstackers with the right type of training, I agree with others who are saying to look at the reasons why he is stacking on the ground but not on the table... if he has a good stack on the floor, there is no real reason why a cue word and patient, gentle positive training wouldn't be working on a table also... I'd look at why the pup prefers to sit. Perhaps it is a fear thing, and if that is the case, you might actually increase the fear by putting him on a set of stackers. If it's a fear of being up high, it's quite possible the puppy could just get worse if you put it on a set of stackers. They don't know that the fall distance isn't as high as a table, all they know is that they aren't on the ground. If you end up using the stackers I'd love to know if you are successful with the method.