Mother To Son Mating

Loopy Lola

I have done this mating except it was father to daughter. All pups strong, healthy, good hip scores and now nearly 7 years old. As for temperament, both parents had exceptional temperaments and all progeny have the same.

Edited by laneka

I have done this mating except it was father to daughter. All pups strong, healthy, good hip scores and now nearly 7 years old. As for temperament, both parents had exceptional temperaments and all progeny have the same.

Thankyou Laneka ........I'm not a breeder and have had lots of conflicting advice ........these are surrendered rescue dogs . The mum is a purebred border collie and the father is a 12 month old bc x cavalier pup from the bitches last litter :shrug:

There are no issues inherent in such a close mating - it really depends so much on the genetic behind the dogs.

The mum could be carrying some undesireable genes which still appearing perfectly OK, so is she a ''good'' purebred or a BYB one herself?

Have a look at the genetic issues in Borders.

Cav x Border Collie - sorry, yuck! - what were those people thinking?? (sorry, assuming there was thought involved)

If the mother has any issues be it health or temparment it can be doubled by having her son as the father of these pups.

Breeders often do close breedings like these but that is only after years of studing the lines and knowing what problems are there.

Leanne

Thankyou everyone , don't know about mums breeding but she seems to be a very mellow even tempered girl ......but this is her 4th litter back to back :cry: The original father is apparently the next door registered breeders Cavalier ( they are on 5 acre blocks ) . We are taking the dad and the 3 pups ......dad is lovely even though she has kept him on a chain because the bitch is in season again ......but she is still wandering around the property and owner won't hand her over too ( says she is going to a friend )......it is a huge mess :mad

Edited by Loopy Lola

Thankyou everyone , don't know about mums breeding but she seems to be a very mellow even tempered girl ......but this is her 4th litter back to back :cry: The original father is apparently the next door registered breeders Cavalier ( they are on 5 acre blocks ) . We are taking the dad and the 3 pups ......dad is lovely even though she has kept him on a chain because the bitch is in season again ......but she is still wandering around the property and owner won't hand her over too ( says she is going to a friend )......it is a huge mess :mad

If you are taking the pups I would definitely DNA test for CL ($55) and have an eye test for CEA. CL is a devasting disease as the symptons don't show till about 14 months and then the dog slowly goes mad and are usually euthanised before 3. CEA in BCs is not usually s bad as in othe affected breeds but you could lead youself open to problems if you rehome the dogs and they are affected especially as the risk is more than normal because of the inbreeding.

Edited by Janba

If you are taking the pups I would definitely DNA test for CL ($55) and have an eye test for CEA. CL is a devasting disease as the symptons don't show till about 14 months and then the dog slowly goes mad and are usually euthanised before 3. CEA in BCs is not usually s bad as in othe affected breeds but you could lead youself open to problems if you rehome the dogs and they are affected especially as the risk is more than normal because of the inbreeding.

Would an eye test at 5months show the CEA anyway? I don't know about BCs but to pick it up in Aussies it generally is done much earlier. A DNA test for CEA would be better surely? I have an Aussie here who is DNA affected but it wasn't picked up on her puppy eye check.

Would an eye test at 5months show the CEA anyway? I don't know about BCs but to pick it up in Aussies it generally is done much earlier. A DNA test for CEA would be better surely? I have an Aussie here who is DNA affected but it wasn't picked up on her puppy eye check.

A DNA test would be better but I was thinking of the cost. A physical eye exam should pick up aany problems if it was a bad case that would affect the dogs life surely.

ETA If it is a mild case then it wouldn't cause a lot of problems in a pet dog and I am assuming these pups will be desexed before rehoming.

Edited by Janba

A DNA test would be better but I was thinking of the cost. A physical eye exam should pick up aany problems if it was a bad case that would affect the dogs life surely.

ETA If it is a mild case then it wouldn't cause a lot of problems in a pet dog and I am assuming these pups will be desexed before rehoming.

Fair enough. :rofl: CEA is nice and expensive to DNA test for.

Thankyou everyone , don't know about mums breeding but she seems to be a very mellow even tempered girl ......but this is her 4th litter back to back :rofl: The original father is apparently the next door registered breeders Cavalier ( they are on 5 acre blocks ) . We are taking the dad and the 3 pups ......dad is lovely even though she has kept him on a chain because the bitch is in season again ......but she is still wandering around the property and owner won't hand her over too ( says she is going to a friend )......it is a huge mess :D

Yes absolutely , they will all be desexed , chipped and vacced as is our policy ........ all pups are done before going to new homes . We have a wonderful vet and will discuss all the tests with him ! The pups are actually gorgeous ..... the 2 females are black and white and you would have a hard time distinguishing them from a purebred and the male is red and white .

Fair enough. :rofl: CEA is nice and expensive to DNA test for.

How much roughly is the DNA test .......we have had one done on a pound pup before but it was to determine what breed he wasn't so he could be released . That was 140 plus 70 dollars for express post at a Uni in Melbourne .

The CEA DNA test is over $200 per dog, the TNS is about $88 and the CL is $55. You can get the TNE and CL done athe Uni of NSW by sending the blood samples. A physical eye exam is well under $100 but I can't remember how much as I haven't had one done for years. If the pups had their under 8 weeks vaccinations and the 2nd vaccination with no side effects TNS is not a such a worry. Also TNS pups tend to be smaller and less thrifty.

You can download the forms here

http://www.bccnsw.com/dnatesting.html

A lot of vets are not really up on TNS and CL. You might also be able to find an eye clinic being run by one of you states breed clubs and then testing is cheaper. Ring you states CC.