Pet Insurance Premium Increase

poodle proud

Oh dear....I feared this was probably the case. I imagine shopping around probably won't yield a more reasonable premium.

Will probably be worth you shopping around...

I rang PIA (current insurer) the other day, have only had the policy for 1 year and it has gone up to $354 for annual coverage on the Major Medical Plan with $500 excess ($15,000 in bills will be covered for the year)

Shopped around and Medibank Private have a plan - Silver Paw Cover - which is around $250 for annual coverage, with $12,000 in bills covered and again $500 excess.

I have one dog with PIA and one with Medibank Private :) It's weird the way they are all underwritten by the same insurer yet the premiums and service vary so greatly!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My policy went up too - can't remember how much by.

It's pretty standard for insurance premiums to increase annually - be it pet, car, contents etc.

Pet insurance is becoming more common in Australia and as a consequence, more claims are being made so it follows that insurers need to put appropriate premiums in place - they are a business after all.

Yes, I think it has become more common practice to insure your dog, and hence an increase in claims mean an increase in premiums.

Edited by Golden Rules

Thankyou to those whose posts have been kind and informative :)

I have not been on dogzonline for 18 months or so. But last time I was here people didn't flame you for being upset about something or not choosing a title of a post with pinpoint accuracy....

It might not apply to you Winterpaws but some people struggle to afford pet ownership but do want to try and have their pet's interests looked after. Increasing the burden of that puts some people out of the market and then some people have to make decisions about euthanasia rather than scraping funds together for operations and treatment.

Actually it does apply to me as I had over $6,000 worth of vet fees for a dog last year. I suspect I will also have an increase on my premiums for my horses insurance

If they don't increase the premiums then they will stop writing pet insurance all together. I used to do bloodstock insurance and that is what would happen - the insurers would leave the market reducing the pool of insurers available.

It's just business :)

My policy went up too - can't remember how much by.

It's pretty standard for insurance premiums to increase annually - be it pet, car, contents etc.

Pet insurance is becoming more common in Australia and as a consequence, more claims are being made so it follows that insurers need to put appropriate premiums in place - they are a business after all.

Yes, I think it has become more common practice to insure your dog, and hence an increase in claims mean an increase in premiums.

Thats true! With my dog i just cant be without it, i would have paid an rxtra $15 per month if they asked for it lol !

human health insurance companies don't share this philolosophy

They do try to discriminate. They're recently been allowed to discriminate based on age - when the government first allowed that in they set a 30 year old age limit thing - eg if you had insurance and you maintained it continuously they couldn't charge you more than what they charge a 30yo. I've also noticed some variation for the same type of cover - the price varies between states. I don't know if it's more dangerous to live in some states or that health care is just more expensive.

I believe it just depends on what is included in the policy - for example QLD policies don't include ambulance cover so our premiums should be lower than the NSW equivalent.

I'm with 1300insurance and they went up $1 this year (so from $30 tpo $31 per month) with a $250 excess.

After having spent $4000 in the last 3 months on the dog that isn't insured (she was too old for illness cover when I got her) there is no way I'd be without insurance for the younger dog. Even if the premiums increase, so likely will the cost of vet care.

As my Dad always says to me (and I heard it on the news today inregards to flood damaged houses) - Insurance is expensive until the moment you need it!!!

I am with PEtplan and mine didn't go up or if it did I think it may have been around a $1.

I haven't had any huge claims but I have got my premium back for each dog so far!

The main reason I went with Petplan was they cover a condition for life, not to the maxium then it is not covered after that. I can spend up to my maximum coverage each year for any condition until I stop paying for the cover of they die. One snake bite and I have back potentially 10 years of premiums. I am happy with that.

I looked at all the compaines and took a week of studying and decided that this one was the best I could find. I have never had a claim rejected and all payments are done very quickly.