Dog Snapped At Baby, Help

geo

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a concern for you! You need to contact a professional immediately, many people on here will recommend Steve from K9 PRO.

Everything you have planned is great but you need more help :laugh:

Edit: to add I just noticed you are not in Sydney.... I am sure someone can recommend a professional closer to you.

I'm in remote NT but can get to Darwin.

I couldn't find ANYONE in Darwin when i was having agression issues with my girl. Barkbusters have just arrived in town though :laugh:

This problem can be easily avoided and should have never happened.

I have 4 children and have had 3 dogs over the course of their lives.

Your dog should not go near your baby ever not it's clothes cot nothing.

No method of positive training will do this effectively.

You need a prong collar and a long line lay your kids clothing on the floor and let the dog in as soon as it goes near the clothes give Extremely hard correction as hard as you can.

Repeat this until the dog will not go near them.

Your dog will learn that if he goes near the baby or anything that smell like the baby is a big no no.

This is what a proper trainer will do. Do not consult some positive reinforcement rubbish trainer.

Do not attempt this with out a good trainers guidance it is only an idea of what works.

If you check out the leerberg dog training website here. http://leerburg.com/dogs-babies.htm

This has some great information on dogs and babies.

I hope after the dog snapped at your baby there was some form of correction.

I would personally never let this dog near your baby and would implement the method above as a safe guard.

I will bold that bit for the people who aren't getting my point.

I have never abused a dog in my life and giving a hard correction appropriate to the dogs temperament is not abusive in my book.

All you so called trainers telling me my method and one that is advised by a renowned dog trainer is dangerous explain to me and the OP why it is and what the problem with it is.

I like hearing other peoples ideas and opinions.

Otherwise just shut up.

I have never abused a dog in my life and giving a hard correction appropriate to the dogs temperament is not abusive in my book.

All you so called trainers telling me my method and one that is advised by a renowned dog trainer is dangerous explain to me and the OP why it is and what the problem with it is.

Otherwise just shut up.

I read the Leerburg article you linked to and it didn't outline a method like the one you suggested at all.

In fact, it actually said at the start to use food or toy rewards to train the dog to begin with. There were at least six other points and methods he suggested and only briefly did he mention giving a prong collar correction in SOME situations.

The fact is that you have no idea what is and isn't appropriate to the OP's dog's temperament, give a hard physical correction to a softer dog and you could ruin it for life.

I know quite a few trainers who regularly use prongs, e-collars etc but none of them would recommend the method you have suggested.

ETA: Giving a dog an "extremely hard correction as hard as you can" on a correction collar for going near a baby's clothing sounds like abuse to me... just how hard is as hard as you can??

Edited by huski

This problem can be easily avoided and should have never happened.

I have 4 children and have had 3 dogs over the course of their lives.

Your dog should not go near your baby ever not it's clothes cot nothing.

No method of positive training will do this effectively.

You need a prong collar and a long line lay your kids clothing on the floor and let the dog in as soon as it goes near the clothes give Extremely hard correction as hard as you can.

Repeat this until the dog will not go near them.

Your dog will learn that if he goes near the baby or anything that smell like the baby is a big no no.

This is what a proper trainer will do. Do not consult some positive reinforcement rubbish trainer.

Do not attempt this with out a good trainers guidance it is only an idea of what works.

If you check out the leerberg dog training website here. http://leerburg.com/dogs-babies.htm

This has some great information on dogs and babies.

I hope after the dog snapped at your baby there was some form of correction.

I would personally never let this dog near your baby and would implement the method above as a safe guard.

Otherwise just shut up.

so when you can't get your point across you think you will yell at us...you have no idea at all

Otherwise just shut up.

I read the Leerburg article you linked to and it didn't outline a method like the one you suggested at all.

In fact, it actually said at the start to use food or toy rewards to train the dog to begin with. There were at least six other points and methods he suggested and only briefly did he mention giving a prong collar correction in SOME situations.

The fact is that you have no idea what is and isn't appropriate to the OP's dog's temperament, give a hard physical correction to a softer dog and you could ruin it for life.

I know quite a few trainers who regularly use prongs, e-collars etc but none of them would recommend the method you have suggested.

ETA: Giving a dog an "extremely hard correction as hard as you can" on a correction collar for going near a baby's clothing sounds like abuse to me... just how hard is as hard as you can??

indeed, what if it's a small dog and i am 180cm? maybe i would break the dogs neck

Yanking on a prong collar "as hard as you can" to give an "extremely hard correction" for an investigative behaviour is abuse in my books. Totally unnecessary also.

I don't know any one on here who ONLY works in the PR quadrant, in fact you'll find this is still one of the only forums on the net that welcomes people who use prongs, e-collars etc properly. There are many ways to correct a dog and they don't all involve giving a huge yank on a prong collar like you've suggested.

You obviously don't respect anyone who uses methods different to your own, considering you've just spent two posts explaining how anyone who doesn't agree with you clearly doesn't know any decent trainers, or only trains their dogs with cookies, doesn't have a clue etc.

The fact that the only way you can think of to deal with the problem you think the OP has is to use the method you described just proves how little experience you have in dog training.

Exactly.

I use prong collars, and I use e collars. After reading your advice, I would also not let you anywhere near my dog.

You're clearly trying to backpedal away from what you originally said. Nowhere in your initial post did you say "give a correction appropriate to the dog's temperament" - you said to correct the dog "as hard as you can".

Please, if you're sick of it here, feel free to leave the site any time you like.

Ok.... I have read the bit in Leerburg about dogs & babies..and it paints a very different scene to the one you described.T,and to not bound up to a baby smelling bundle could come in handy .

5- Once the baby is born they will bring a blanket with the baby scent home (or a dirty baby diaper) to wrap a doll in. When this is laid on the floor the dog is corrected for going near it. It cannot even go and smell it.

I also quite like this idea...

Get a dog crate and crate train the dog. The crate should NEVER be in the bedroom. If the dog becomes overly excited when the baby cries it can be put in the crate. Give it a bone or a rubber Kong with a little cream cheese or peanut butter in middle to keep him interested and busy.

Both these articles give me a very different feel to your post.

You're clearly trying to backpedal away from what you originally said. Nowhere in your initial post did you say "give a correction appropriate to the dog's temperament" - you said to correct the dog "as hard as you can".

Please, if you're sick of it here, feel free to leave the site any time you like.

:)

:)

:):rofl:

I use prong collars, and I use e collars. After reading your advice, I would also not let you anywhere near my dog.

What she said :)

Ok.... I have read the bit in Leerburg about dogs & babies..and it paints a very different scene to the one you described.T,and to not bound up to a baby smelling bundle could come in handy .
5- Once the baby is born they will bring a blanket with the baby scent home (or a dirty baby diaper) to wrap a doll in. When this is laid on the floor the dog is corrected for going near it. It cannot even go and smell it.

I also quite like this idea...

Get a dog crate and crate train the dog. The crate should NEVER be in the bedroom. If the dog becomes overly excited when the baby cries it can be put in the crate. Give it a bone or a rubber Kong with a little cream cheese or peanut butter in middle to keep him interested and busy.

Both these articles give me a very different feel to your post.

There are only 4 kinds of training collars: a flat collar, a prong collar, a dominant dog collar and a remote collar - which one you use depends on the dogs temperament and training level. Frankly for this I would be using a prong or a remote collar.

That is copied and pasted from the article.

And to me a level 9 correction is as hard as I can.

I stand by my original post it was only an idea on what works and what has worked for me it's a free country you can all do what you like same as me.

My dog I have at the moment requires only a light correction for most things but for this type of thing I did go to a very hard correction simply because my dog was over stimulated by the new items and didn't listen to the first one.

There are only 4 kinds of training collars: a flat collar, a prong collar, a dominant dog collar and a remote collar - which one you use depends on the dogs temperament and training level. Frankly for this I would be using a prong or a remote collar.

What is a "level 9 correction"?

What article did you copy and paste that from - it wasn't in the Leerburg article you linked to?

So.. a level 9 correction ,using a prong collar is what?

for this type of thing I did go to a very hard correction simply because my dog was over stimulated by the new items and didn't listen to the first one.

..and why didn't you explain this in your post?

You posted in such a way as to give an impression that this type of 'training' would do the trick for any dog. THAT is what I see as dangerous. What you do with your dogs at home is your business... I may not agree with it- but they are your dogs.

Telling someone else, publicly , to do the same thing to THEIR dog ... and insinuating that only 'proper' trainers trained that way ..is a dangerous thing.

What is a "level 9 correction"?

What article did you copy and paste that from - it wasn't in the Leerburg article you linked to?

click on the ebook on the same page.

Sounds like many of you don't know even how to correct a dog or the levels involved I don't know about you but a full strength correction from me and I'm an average built guy would never seriously hurt a dog.

A leash correction is only using the lower part of your arm not your whole body.

I have yet to ever have a fully grown large dog wince in pain to a very hard correction from myself.

I have had dogs of shy temperaments shut down for a moment but they bounce back with a bit of encouragement.

I and my parents have ran the RSPCA animal shelter in Burnie tasmania many years ago. I and my father have trained a lot of dogs with different temperaments from shy to aggressive and yes I have been bitten a few times over the years but at the end of the day I have always achieved results. me and my father have saved alot of dogs from being PTS. Back then I never even used treats in my training but over the years I have learned different things and I am still learning. As I stated before It was only an idea of probably many methods that would work.

click on the ebook on the same page.

It's still nothing like the method you described when you take into account that Leerburg mentioned a heap of other steps and didn't specify that anyone should use a prong collar - he even added you should only use one if it's appropriate for the dog.

Sounds like many of you don't know even how to correct a dog or the levels involved I don't know about you but a full strength correction from me and I'm an average built guy would never seriously hurt a dog.

A leash correction is only using the lower part of your arm not your whole body.

I have yet to ever have a fully grown large dog wince in pain to a very hard correction from myself.

I have had dogs of shy temperaments shut down for a moment but they bounce back with a bit of encouragement.

Why on earth would you give a physical correction 'as hard as you can' to a soft or shy dog?

I have been shown how to use leash corrections on a correction collar by very experienced behaviourists, they have never mentioned the "9 levels of correction" or told me to use as much force as I can to issue the correction.

What else are posters supposed to ascertain when you tell them to give as hard a physical correction as they possibly can?

As I stated before It was only an idea of probably many methods that would work.

Well isn't that a back track after these comments you made.

You probably don't.

What would your trainer advise distract the dog with a cookie :)

When a dog does something it is not supposed to do a correction is needed pretty simple really.

Edited by huski