Genetic Testing In Australia

Turkey Trip

A quick update as a matter of interest:

Have just ordered 6 DNA tests (Coat length & DM) for 3 dogs from http://www.vetdnacenter.com/ and saved a mint! Total cost = $234.00 USD - a cost saving of USD$122 per dog and with the $AUD currently at an all time high, a great time to place an order. Happy as! :)

Lift your game Australian companies.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used them too! Really quick too considering. And yes; the price is excellent. I've also used Optigen overseas as well.

A quick update as a matter of interest:

Have just ordered 6 DNA tests (Coat length & DM) for 3 dogs from http://www.vetdnacenter.com/ and saved a mint! Total cost = $234.00 USD - a cost saving of USD$122 per dog and with the $AUD currently at an all time high, a great time to place an order. Happy as! :)

Lift your game Australian companies.

As I posted in another thread - I have now been waiting for results from ASAP since last November! :mad Lots of promises but no delivery and one very unhappy customer who is taking their business elsewhere.

For DM tests (and a number of others) you can get them done through OFA in the US too. A DM test costs US$65. Very prompt turnaround with the results etc too. Only downfall is that it doesnt fulfill the new ANKC requirements regarding proof of ID etc as you collect the swab yourself (though they did say if you wanted it noted on the certificate that it was collected by a vet they could sort something out - I didnt bother as all I wanted at the time was a result).

Now the problem for me is getting a test for CMR. The US company who owns and does the test says the Aust company holds the Aust rights to it so wont do it, yet the Aust company that holds the rights wont do the test for it! Stupid :mad

How frustrating E2, am sorry to read that. The place mentioned in my post above (DDC Veterinary http://www.vetdnacenter.com/ from where I've now ordered the latest lot of tests, was even cheaper than OFA for DM testing. It was $58 USD for the DM and only $20.00 extra to do any other test on the same dog.

The testing ought to be official as a veterinary surgeon checked microchips, collected the swabs and sealed the bags, however even if that is not the case and this is not acceptable to the ANKC I will have the required knowledge at considerable savings.

The ANKC should support breeders who are trying to do the right thing, not restricting the option of shopping around for the best service at the best available price.

• 3 weeks later...

Still nothing from ASAP for me. At this point I have written them off as a bad joke. They wont be getting any of my custom again and I frankly couldn't recommend them to anyone based on my experience :mad

Edited by espinay2