Doggie Dementia/ccd?

westiemum

Well I had all my three at the vet last night mainly for check-ups (although Andy had an inflamed ear), and Macs routine blood test was 'perfect' (comprehensive external one)and his dementia seems very stable - my diary suggests its not getting any more frequent and the intensity of the episodes may even be decreasing. So the vet is really pleased with him - and I'm thrilled - we're still doing well. :)

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks B, And thanks so much for putting me onto the Herb Robert - I discussed it with my wonderful vet on Wednesday night and her reaction was 'many drugs came from herbs' and 'hey, if it works..' - she was very pleased with my regime and thrilled to hear Mac was doing well and his canine dementia is fairly stable and basically advised me to keep going as I am - so thanks again. :)

Good!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Boronia, that doesn't surprise me. A lot of wheaten people don't actually show. There's a wheaten specialty show at spring fair and I'm hoping to get the day off to go to it. Don't know the likelihood of loads of entries, though.

Thanks for that, I Googled 'Wheaten specialty show at spring fair' but it appears to be in NSW, is there any in Qld?

I don't believe there's still a wheaten club in Qld. Nor do I know of anyone who shows wheatens there.

In some news: we now have our new bed. It's fairly low to the ground, about the height of the couch, which Grumpy can still jump up on. I had to cancel the vet appt last week for his back and looks like I'll have to do the same tomorrow, as I've had a meeting booked in at 4.00. :(

Had the vet out today for my litle girl Tara

and she has the anxiety from her Dementia

she is 14 1/2 years old

she started losing her hearing about 2 years ago and has about 1/4 % eye sight left

she has lost muscle tone in her back legs which has also been about a year

last few weeks she has been haveing accidents inside and the look on her face is so sad after she does this :(

she is eating well still , in fact to the point of wanting more

she has been insecure for awhile now and doesnt like being outside , since she lost her mate

she paces a lot :(

so far we havent had the barking for no reason

and she still sleeps most of the night through

Vet has put her on Clomicalm and suggested the BD food also

so glad to hear others have had good results with it

he also suggested Lecithin for her as that helps the memory

as well as Carophen for her back legs

Anyone tried the Clomicalm ? and how did it work

( I beleive it similar to Prozac for humans )

Has been a interesting thread :)

Hi T and S,

I'm so sorry to hear about Tara. I haven't used Clonicalm so can't comment.

But I do suggest that you get some Herb Robert from here.I really think its helping Mac - his aimless barking and growling are certainly less frequent and less intense. According to the net there are no known side effects and the Romani people have used it for centuries.

Mac's complete routine is 1/2 a 50mg Vivitonin twice a day, half an hour before food, a 1/3 cup of herb robert 'tea' and 1/4 a cup of the b/d (soaked in the 'tea'). At night he also gets a sliver of meat and a few veg added to the mix.

Good luck - will be very interested to hear how you get on. :)

Had the vet out today for my litle girl Tara

and she has the anxiety from her Dementia

she is 14 1/2 years old

she started losing her hearing about 2 years ago and has about 1/4 % eye sight left

she has lost muscle tone in her back legs which has also been about a year

last few weeks she has been haveing accidents inside and the look on her face is so sad after she does this :(

she is eating well still , in fact to the point of wanting more

she has been insecure for awhile now and doesnt like being outside , since she lost her mate

she paces a lot :(

so far we havent had the barking for no reason

and she still sleeps most of the night through

Vet has put her on Clomicalm and suggested the BD food also

so glad to hear others have had good results with it

he also suggested Lecithin for her as that helps the memory

as well as Carophen for her back legs

Anyone tried the Clomicalm ? and how did it work

( I beleive it similar to Prozac for humans )

Has been a interesting thread :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just checking in to update about Grumpy. He's been on the B/D a while now and I don't think I'm noticing much difference. He still has the sundowners and gets confused when he can't find me even if I'm tapping him on the bum. I'm wondering if Mac's improvement is a combo of the food and the vivitonin? Vet suggested Rimadyl for Grumpy's back but I'm not keen given one of the side effects is death (!). He's also suggested we give vivitonin another try.

Just checking in to update about Grumpy. He's been on the B/D a while now and I don't think I'm noticing much difference. He still has the sundowners and gets confused when he can't find me even if I'm tapping him on the bum. I'm wondering if Mac's improvement is a combo of the food and the vivitonin? Vet suggested Rimadyl for Grumpy's back but I'm not keen given one of the side effects is death (!). He's also suggested we give vivitonin another try.

Do you want to give the Herb Robert a try Sheridan? it may help, it may not, but it wont harm him.

I have HEAPS here that I have just dried, so just let me know and I'll post some off.

Sheridan I gently suggest you take up Boronia's very kind offer - I give Mac his 'herbal tea' twice a day with his 1/4 cup b/d in the morning and another 1/4 cup b/d and a little meat and veggies at night. Not completely sure whats working here - maybe its the combination of the b/d, herb robert and the vivitonin... not sure... but while we are doing so well I'm keeping on with it - even though it requires a bit of thought and discipline.

And Boronia - thanks so much for the live herbs - my mother is growing them for me and she has a large pot full so is very pleased with herself! :thumbsup: (I've killed every herb known to man in the last 30 years so it was much safer to press-gang the mother into herb growing service! :laugh:).

So how do you go about drying it? ( :o I've never dried herbs before either - used to kill them instead! :))

TIA.

Do you want to give the Herb Robert a try Sheridan? it may help, it may not, but it wont harm him.

I have HEAPS here that I have just dried, so just let me know and I'll post some off.

Edited by westiemum

You buy one like this Wesiemum---> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUNBEAN-HEALTHY-FOOD-DRYER-/200654973211?pt=AU_SmallKitchenAppliances&hash=item2eb7f7e91b

or these---> http://www.quicksales.com.au/buy/auctions.aspx?cat=0&keyword=food+dehydrator&type5=&i=30&d=

or these---> http://www.lasoo.com.au/search/food%20dehydrator.html

I have a Harvest Maid which is around 15 years old and still going.

You may pick up one at a garage sale also

Thanks tons B, might get the mother one for her birthday in early November since shes the one who is growing the herb robert! :thumbsup: The live plants you sent are going great guns and she now has a pot full!! So thanks tons - yet again! :)

You buy one like this Wesiemum---> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUNBEAN-HEALTHY-FOOD-DRYER-/200654973211?pt=AU_SmallKitchenAppliances&hash=item2eb7f7e91b

or these---> http://www.quicksales.com.au/buy/auctions.aspx?cat=0&keyword=food+dehydrator&type5=&i=30&d=

or these---> http://www.lasoo.com.au/search/food%20dehydrator.html

I have a Harvest Maid which is around 15 years old and still going.

You may pick up one at a garage sale also

Haven't been online much so I haven't visited the thread for a while. The Grumpy update is that he's had a couple of bouts of vomiting since being on the Vivitonin and so I took him off it for a few days and am just reintroducing it again. Grumpy does have a sensitive tummy so it's possible it was something else. I'm hesitant to give him anything else at this stage, so I'll hang off the Robert for a time to see how he goes. Grumpy still has the sundowners and he's in desperate need of a good brush out and bath but I need someone else to hold him for me because he gets very uncomfortable when being groomed and he tends to move around a lot.

Hi Sheridan - good to hear from you and Grumpy. Mac continues to do really well - and I continue to be amazed at how effective the Herb Robert appears to be. He's been on it long enough for it be clear from the diary entries that it definitely appears to be helping. The purposeless barking and growling is much much less frequent and he's not developing any other signs as far as I can tell. So thanks tons again Boronia - in my case you seem to have suggested the one thing that really seems to help. Mac is a much brighter and happier old westie. So here its a case of 'when you're on a good thing, stick to it'! :)

Haven't been online much so I haven't visited the thread for a while. The Grumpy update is that he's had a couple of bouts of vomiting since being on the Vivitonin and so I took him off it for a few days and am just reintroducing it again. Grumpy does have a sensitive tummy so it's possible it was something else. I'm hesitant to give him anything else at this stage, so I'll hang off the Robert for a time to see how he goes. Grumpy still has the sundowners and he's in desperate need of a good brush out and bath but I need someone else to hold him for me because he gets very uncomfortable when being groomed and he tends to move around a lot.

Edited by westiemum

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's a semi-positive update with a downside. The good news is that Grumpy seems to be moving better on the Vivitonin and hasn't thrown up since last time. The downside is that neither it nor the Hills BD seem to be having an effect on his dementia. He's probably vaguer now. The other thing is that he's started pooing in the house or just outside on the back porch where he and Mini spend their day. I don't think he's lost his housetraining because he isn't weeing inside. I'm wondering if it's because of the Vivitonin and that he's not able to hang on until I notice he needs to go outside? He may be losing sphincter control but this has only happened since being on the Vivitonin.

He badly needs a groom and a bath but I need someone else to hold him for me. :(

Hi Sheridan,

Hmn... that doesn't sound good... I think I'd be going back to the vet. I've forgotten the name of it but there is another drug that you might try if the Vivitonin doesn't seem to be helping - and it doesn't always help some dogs.

Good luck and let us know how you get on?

Well, here's a semi-positive update with a downside. The good news is that Grumpy seems to be moving better on the Vivitonin and hasn't thrown up since last time. The downside is that neither it nor the Hills BD seem to be having an effect on his dementia. He's probably vaguer now. The other thing is that he's started pooing in the house or just outside on the back porch where he and Mini spend their day. I don't think he's lost his housetraining because he isn't weeing inside. I'm wondering if it's because of the Vivitonin and that he's not able to hang on until I notice he needs to go outside? He may be losing sphincter control but this has only happened since being on the Vivitonin.

He badly needs a groom and a bath but I need someone else to hold him for me. :(

He's got two days of the Vivitonin left so I need to make an appt for him to get some more. I might call and ask if I can pick up a few days worth as the vet isn't in until Wednesday and I'm unlikely to be able to get to see him before next weekend.

Anyone want to volunteer to help hold the grumpiest wheaten while he's groomed. :grimace:

Sheridan I'd be there in a flash if I was a bit closer :( Hopefully a kind closer DOLer will give you a hand?? :) I know what its like to have certain things you simply can't do on your own (suspect we will get to a point where I'm going to need a hand with Mac too... :( )

He's got two days of the Vivitonin left so I need to make an appt for him to get some more. I might call and ask if I can pick up a few days worth as the vet isn't in until Wednesday and I'm unlikely to be able to get to see him before next weekend.

Anyone want to volunteer to help hold the grumpiest wheaten while he's groomed. :grimace:

We're seeing the vet on Saturday and I picked up enough Vivitonin for until then. I don't think it or the food is doing anything for his dementia but I suppose the test will be if I take him off them.

I had a horrible night last night. Grumpy was up and down all night (see he can't rub his nose on the edge of the new bed and has to go into the loungeroom to use the couch). He went outside a couple of times and the last time I heard a funny sound. I went to the door and called to him and he basically lurched into view. I thought he'd broken his leg but he was okay after a minute. I know what he did because I saw him do it this morning. He launched himself up a steep spot in the yard instead of going half a metre to the easy way up (couple of cm) and in the dark, he'd have missed it and come crashing down. I think now when he goes out during the night I'll have to go out with the torch. That'll be good in winter ...