Doggie Dementia/ccd?

westiemum

Maybe, at first, make it with just a pinch, soaked in 1/2 cup water, give him a little of this mixed with his meals for a week, then gradually increase the HR amount a little each day...it doesn't matter if it is weeks before he gets the full strength as his body will still be taking advantage from it.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick update on the Grumpy man. I've noticed that since he's been off the BD, he's actually got a little more alert, strangely enough. He still gets confused if he can't find me and like he doesn't know where to look, but he's become more aware of what he wants, I think, and has become a trifle more demanding!

Tummy troubles seem to be sorted. I made him southern blue whiting treats yesterday, little fish balls and I just covered them in his kibble. Best thing ever, he tells me.

Whiting fillets!! Wow!! Can I join Grumpy for dinner!! Yum! Spopilt boy!!! :laugh: :eat:

I didn't dry it actually. I steamed it, rolled it up into balls with some of his kibble and then dusted kibble crumbs over it. He gobbles them up. I bought whiting fillets. I don't have the patience to debone them myself.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update on Mac... I was looking back at my first post in this thread and its just over 13 months ago.

I'm finding it hard to believe, but Mac is continuing to do really well... the purposeless growling and barking is definitely much much less, when he does growl its usually really puposeful at the younger boy westie, and he's a really smoochy happy boy. I've noticed one lot of aimless growling in many many weeks,possibly months.

I continue to put it down to the Herb Robert tea he has twice a day (which he scoffs mixed with a bit of the Hills b/d), his raw diet and the vivitonin. The vet agrees it is probably a mixture of the components which is working. The only downside is he has a very stained beard from the tea!

Thanks so much Boronia - your advice and kindness in sending me the herb was worth its weight in gold.

How are other dementing doggies doing? Sheridan? :)

Edited by westiemum

Mr Grump is doing well. He's still very vague and only occasionally grumpy. He is now off the B/D but I've not noticed any difference in his mental health. My main concern is his back. I have noticed a great improvement on the Rimadyl in his movement. We went for a walk today after a couple of no Rimadyl days and he was very stiff. Mentally, he's his usual ratbag self. :D

Edited by Sheridan

Sorry to hear this news, westiemum. Hope thing improve.

I bought a new travel crate for the Grumpy man today. It's a large sky kennel from Jetpets. I got it brand new for $229, which I was very pleased about because a smaller crate at Petstock, which isn't airline safe, was over $100 more. Trouble is it's an ill fit for my car. I wouldn't be able to lift it in and have Grumpy in the crate at the same time. Indeed, it's currently stuck in the back seat and I can't get it out.

I'll just have to buy a new car.

• 3 weeks later...

No, what to buy, that's the trouble. I can't afford one for a while yet, though. Got to get my pay rise in July.

Glad to hear Mac's doing better. Grumpy man is going through a pooing inside period. Either he can't hold on or he's attention seeking cos it's not all the time and he's not weeing inside.

Bit of an update. Grumpy is getting very hard to groom. My sister came over to hold him while I tried to get the knots out of his beard. I ended up shaving it but only got a bit done because he just can't stand up for long. Even holding him up, he gets very tired. :(

Edited by Sheridan

Hmn... I too have a weeing inside problem - and up until tonight its been on my bed! :eek: . Not often, but once every couple of weeks. I thought it was Mac but had never actually seen him do it. Yet Sarah scratched around in a fake sheepskin bed thingo on the lounge tonight then promptly squatted down and wee'd! Right in front of me. :eek: So I'm now wondering if the unobserved weeing on my bed was Sarah and not Mac! And what might be causing this in Sarah... she's usually the boss and very reliable (or so I thought!).

This weeing inside can't go on and I've ordered a belly band for Mac... but its possible he's not the problem!

Advice anyone?

TIA.

No, what to buy, that's the trouble. I can't afford one for a while yet, though. Got to get my pay rise in July.

Glad to hear Mac's doing better. Grumpy man is going through a pooing inside period. Either he can't hold on or he's attention seeking cos it's not all the time and he's not weeing inside.

The only time Grumpy did a wee on a bed was when a friend was visiting just after I got him. She was with him during the day because I'd just started a new job and couldn't take the time off. I think he had a 'You're not the boss of me' moment with her.

Could Sarah be reacting to Mac's behaviour?

Yep its possible Sheridan - although the only time she seems to take any real notice of him is when she growls at him if he puts his paws on the coffee table! (She's quite a bossy girl this one!)

I'm actually wondering if its a reaction to me instead. Apart from the lounge episode last night,which happened in front of me, it always seems to happen when I'm not home - like tonight. Got home at 9.20 having left at 6.20 and there's a wet patch on my bed again... yes I know I'm going to have to close my bedroom door when I'm not home but I'd really like to get to the bottom of this... so any other suggestions of how to deal with this?

TIA.

The only time Grumpy did a wee on a bed was when a friend was visiting just after I got him. She was with him during the day because I'd just started a new job and couldn't take the time off. I think he had a 'You're not the boss of me' moment with her.

Could Sarah be reacting to Mac's behaviour?

Hi Westiemum, can you get her checked for a UTI, Penny was doing much the same thing (but not on the bed) when we first got her, we needed to take her to the vet for some other problem...can't remember what, and was given AB's which must have also fixed her wee problem. She can hang on from 8.30 to 7.00 as I found out when I had the flu and we slept in.

We also attached longer legs on the bed so they can't jump up on it during the day, made it more pleasant to get into as it didn't smell of three-westie-funk (aka stinkin' dogs) :laugh:

Edited by Boronia